Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:07:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
348 Guests, 2 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 348
Total: 350

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Emergency landing on highway

Started by Maurice, April 29, 2011, 06:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Trevor Hale

Wow, incredible.  I can just imagine the look on the drivers face on the minivan behind them LOL.

Thanks Mau.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

That was a real dumb move IMHO on his part though landing on a highway.    First, when you see the initial ground come into view on the tape you see there are some fields either side of the highway.   He should have landed on one of those and not risk other lives of those people driving on the highway.   Second, highways are notorious for having power lines running asside them and often across them.  He got lucky.   You in fact see a row of power lines running down the right side of the highway as he coasts to a stop.  Again, very lucky he got down safely and also that he didnt hurt someone on the ground in the process.

My humble opinion anyway....

Scott

Maurice

Good points Scott but when your own life and your passenger's lives are on the line, I guess you don't think too much of the lives of those on the highway. Landing on a very likely wet & soft field at this time of the year would likely result in flipping over with a risk of fire as well.

Also, this was a divided highway and you don't normally see power lines running low over an interstate highway. It there were any, they would most likely be high power lines which are easily visible. So I think I would have done the same especially since the traffic seemed pretty light on his side of the highway and any traffic would have seen him as he got down low enough to land and they would have had time to stop behind him I would think.

Still, a scary moment for sure.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate