Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 07:39:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
557 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 557
Total: 557

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Sim Base

Started by jskibo, May 23, 2011, 06:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

So we are just two weeks away from taking delivery of the new house, and I'm begining to plan the base structure for the sim.  I guess I have to paint the house first, but I plan on starting the base project by the end of June. 

I'm guessing by the size description given on the FDS page for the shell, I will nee a platform 8' by 7'?  Plan on using bolt down yokes, so I don't need access under the platform, just something to bolt the MIP, shell, throttle, etc... to, though I would like to put some locking casters on it.

Was thinking a 2 x 6 frame covered in 5/8ths plywood to be sufficient, but open for suggestions from anyone that has a better idea on size or design.....
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Maurice

Not trying to blow my own horn here, but I would strongly advise using a design similar to mine. Keep in mind that you will often have to get behind the MIP for maintenance and the ability to move the MIP separately from the shell is very, very useful.

Check out what I did on webshots:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/578393990fLjxzB

Maurice
And here are a couple of pics to show what I mean:
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

If you are going to have a shell I highly recommend something like this. I know if I ever get to build my shell I will do something like it.

jskibo

That is slick!!! 

Any chance I can get the dimensions of the two pieces you have there?
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on May 23, 2011, 08:40:04 AM
That is slick!!! 

Any chance I can get the dimensions of the two pieces you have there?

If I was to redo the platform, I would have made the inner part just wide enough to fit the MIP, so and I'll give you the same answer I e-mailed to Jack  :) :

"The platform is exactly 8' x 8'. The inside platform should be just the width of your new MIP. My MIP is exactly 59" but I don't know what the new ones are. Anyway, if I had made the inner platform 59" or even 60", that would have been perfect.

My recommendation is to make it so that your MIP fits pretty much exactly on the inner platform and you'll be fine. The side liner is not attached to anything near the MIP so it can be moved in or out to fill any gap between the liner and the MIP."

Maurice

Efe

Mo in this setup are your computers on top of the wooden platform in front of the MIP? It seems that would be the only way the platform would be able to be pulled back without having to pull some cables from up front.

Maurice

Quote from: Efe on May 23, 2011, 12:09:43 PM
Mo in this setup are your computers on top of the wooden platform in front of the MIP? It seems that would be the only way the platform would be able to be pulled back without having to pull some cables from up front.

Go there and that should be self-explanatory  :)

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1704.msg13109#msg13109

Maurice

Kennair

Mo that setup is intense.  Very timely however as I have been deliberating over how to do my base but now yours has given me a whole new perspective.  I never thought of modular flooring and the mobile computers is an even better idea.  I think you should have your own section on this forum as the lateral thinking is most welcome.

Cheers and keep up the inspiration,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Maurice

Quote from: Kennair on May 24, 2011, 12:15:37 AM
I think you should have your own section on this forum as the lateral thinking is most welcome.

Cheers and keep up the inspiration,

Ken.

Thanks Ken but you should know that my 'lateral thinking' is triggered by my vertical laziness. I do my best thinking when horizontal in my 'lazy' recliner  :)

Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate