Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
583 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 583
Total: 583

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FS 9 or FSX

Started by Bob Reed, May 23, 2011, 12:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

well, just experimenting.  I didnt notice another frame friendly option so I will check it again.     Kaitak wasnt a problem and I have Boston also and wasnt so bad.   Maybe I chose a bad option.    I also have Active Sky running now and so maybe  that has loaded it down.

Lots of fun trying different things out though.   For sure FSX looks better.    I am may just have to dial some things down.

Joe Lavery

I think I missunderstood your post Maurice,  :-[  I assumed you were still using the beta version you spoke of.

The only thing the Acceleration pack adds to the mix is a few new aircraft, some updated scenery areas and new missions, which I doubt would be of any use to most of the members here.  8) There's also said to be a DX10 preview; but to be honest even with a DX10 graphics card installed I couldn't detect any difference in performance.

So you are correct, if you already have SP2 then there's little point in buying Acceleration.

However for those that have problems optimising FSX, the link below might be worth looking at. It's a detailed document written by Mathijs Kok, (the MD of Aerosoft) who explains at length the various settings within FSX and suggests how to achieve the highest frame rates.
Of course this should be treated simply as a guide; because no two systems are the same. Sadly there is no magic fix, it's a matter of using the information as a starting point to optimise your own setup.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/30796-why-i-get-50-fps-in-fsx-and-you-might-not/

It's at the bottom of the page, filename: settings.pdf

Hope it helps someone!!  :)
Joe.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

XOrionFE

Thank you Joe

And as an update (boy did Bob's thread get hijacked by all of us :-)).......I found out tonight it wasnt the Fly Tampa Midway scenery dragging my system to its knees.   It was Active Sky.     Turned it off and presto, back to nice high frame rates and no problems with KMDW (which by the way is absolutely realistic to me as I fly out of it all the time for business).    So I am really happy I get to keep the scenery on for it.   I believe my Active Sky problems occured today because we had a ton of real world weather today in Chicago and probably overloaded my system trying to match it.    I guess I need to learn how to tweak down Active Sky.

Scott

jackpilot

To continue in the hjk mode !!
Weather wise as I do not have (yet) a monster FS PC,
I download  real weather once and use it with the Situation. This way there is no constant updating . Better for FPS Not as realistic but good enough.
My favorite: clear above 15000 and IMC with poor vis under that.
Makes me earn my virtual paycheck!  :D

Jack

XOrionFE

ok, i will try without the periodic updates and see if better.   

Thanks Jack

Bob Reed

Is Active Sky on a separate computer? I have not run it in a while but it did not effect my frame rates... Oh wait.... There is a different version for FSX, right? 

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on May 29, 2011, 07:37:49 PM
I believe my Active Sky problems occured today because we had a ton of real world weather today in Chicago and probably overloaded my system trying to match it.    I guess I need to learn how to tweak down Active Sky.

Scott

I now recall I had exactly the same problem when I tried it with severe weather at a busy airport. It became a slide show. I'm wondering whether loading Active Sky in a separate computer would help at all  under severe conditions.

If not I think that loading Active sky, starting FSX and letting A.S. do its thing and then shutting down Active sky might work but then again it might be the same thing as if you run it without updates like Jack suggested.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

I have always run AS on a separate computer and I have never had an issue, but I have never used it with FSX either.

Kennair

I run ASE on a networked PC into FSX and its fine (mostly).  There is a short pause while new weather is loading so maybe would also cause stalling if the weather is changing a lot, however you should be able to tweak that out of AS.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate