Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:41:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
350 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 350
Total: 350

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Squawkbox 4 for FSX

Started by blueskydriver, August 12, 2011, 10:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Scott,

Restarted thread here:

Okay, just a couple other questions:

1. If have SB setup on the remote and all the sound cards are working, did you make sure WideFS was running on the remote?

2. If SB and WideFS are running on the remote, did change the setting either in FSUIPC or WideFS to allow remote buttons. So, you can then setup the PTT in FSUIPC to goto the remote and activate transmit for SB.

3. Did you check the WideFS logs on the remote to make sure of the connection and the activation of the PTT button happening?

4. Know this is an obivious question, but the internet is working on the remote right?

5. Did you check to make sure of the right settings in the SB4 voice options (Squawkbox Options)?

Try those items and see what you come up with...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

thanks guys

Mike, Don is correct that running on FSX seems to be different than FS9.  Also we found some issues seemed ralated to running on Windows 7.

BSD,  thank you for the lengthy explanations.  I didnt realize i could get seperate assignments on the sound that way so it is definitely one way i could try.    To answer your questions on the networked PC, networking, Fsuipc,widefs and all is fine.  In fact I run Radar Contact and FlightSim Commander on it fine and connect to the FSX box just fine.  we are trying to use SB 4.  The problem is that SB4 uses Simmconnect and that is where our problems start.  It is almost as if Simconnect wont work with Windows 7 on the main FSX computer.   Simconnect as i have read is also how i would get ASE to run on a networked computer and again I couldnt get it to work and we ran into more questions then answers the night we were trying to do it.

So there in lies the problems.  I cant get Simmconnect to work to be able to network SB4.   I would prefer to run SB4 off the networked PC if possible.

Scott

blueskydriver

Oh, okay simconnect I know what's wrong...went through this with ASA, ASE. Right now we're flying the sim, but give me a bit and I'll tell you how to do it...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Do you have the ASA(E) pdf manual? Take a look at pages 52-59, and then if you have questions, post them. If you follow these steps to the letter, you'll get connection for sure. This is exactly how we did it...

BSD

XOrionFE

Yep, that is what we were trying to follow last time BSD.    I think we ran into problems trying to load the SDK on Windows7 or something....I cant recall.   It got to the point in the instructions where it was telling me to deinstall this and that, reinstall FSX, etc. and I gave up as I didnt want to damage my fsx installation that I so painstakingly put in according to Nick Needhams method for Windows 7 and i also didnt want to reload all my addons and scenery...not worth it.

Are you running on Windows7?   The documentation for ASE is not even updated for Windows7 yet.

Scott

blueskydriver

Well, just got out of the "Old Man Nap" after only turning 46 last Sunday... Will start looking at the files. Yes, it is Win 7.

BSD

XOrionFE

Hey, I think I got it now BSD.

I was missing the SDK SP1A Update apparently.   I downloaded and installed and now ASE is connecting fine from the client and loading weather.   Looks like that did it!  I guess it just took another pass through all to figure out.   Don and I were rushing a little the first time.

Now on to SB4!

Thank you again.
Scott

blueskydriver

Cool! Glad you figured it out... Post what happens with SB4 then; plan to redo ours here.

BSD

blueskydriver

Scott,

Did you get SB4 working after all? I know you said just recently, in another thread, that you're on VATSIM. However, I don't remember which one you're using...SB4 or FSInn?

BSD

XOrionFE

Yes, got SB4 working.  No problem

Scott

blueskydriver

Okay, do tell... :-)

Just installed it and there is nothing in the Add-ons (menu line of FSX) for SB4. When I installed the program, I nly saw two .dll files, an icon file, an uninstall.exe file, and the readme file.

Are you using SB4 with FSX and Win 7 64bit? Also, where did you download the SB4 from; maybe, missing something here?

BSD

blueskydriver

Scott,

Are you running SB4 on another machine via FSUIPC? If so, you start FSX on the FSX machine, and then start SB4 on the client? In which case, do you start anything on the FSX machine or is this like FSUIPC/WideFS standard stuff.

In other words, they see each other with no start function required on the FSX machine, only on the client(s)...

BSD

ivar hestnes

SB4 is not a fsuipc module. It communicates via simconnect, except for the PTT offset in fsuipc which works.
To run SB4 on a client computer you need to configure the simconnect. There is a description about this on the sqawkbox webpage. But a even better description on activesky/hifisim webpage.

XOrionFE

What Ivar said is correct.  I am running SB4 on a seperate PC from FSX and using Simconnect.  I also run Activesky on that PC as well so killed two birds with one stone.   I followed the instructions as Ivar mentioned that come with ASE regarding Simconnect Setup.

Scott

blueskydriver

Thanks guys, got it all setup for SB4 on a client. Had inital problems with the Win 7 install, but it was not Sim Connect related.

Had to install as SB4 on FSX computer only first, and then went back and reinstalled to SB4 on client selection. Additionally, didn't use the default folder for the SB4 part going on the FSX computer, chose to make a folder in the root drive and that fixed it.

Been reading a lot of info on VatSim, but cannot find anything regarding: Is it a requirement to be on the same time structure as the ATC? For example, if the Z time is 0200Z, which would be 2100Z in Wisconsin, and thereby meaning it would be night time, does it have to be setup in FSX as such? Or, can the time of day be my choice...flying daytime instead of night?

Last time we were on VatSim was back in '04; that was long ago in the simulation world...

BSD

mikeh

Hi there - just a small thing - 0200z is the time as measured going through London with no daylight saving adjustment. this would give 2100 local time to you not 2100z to you. Zulu time is Grenwich Mean (meridean) Time only. and yes - you can set your machine to fly at time that suits yourself - controller is not aware of your fs timeframe but ensure the flight plan is filled in with the local time
ATR72 build project

blueskydriver

Thanks for pointing out the Zula time info. Somehow I was thinking to put Z-time for local time, being corrected for time zones. Now, I just have to remember to leave off the Z when stating local...

As for SB4, it turned out to be a NIGHTMARE on Halloween! Here is what I did:

1. Installed SB4 on PC1 (WinXP); works, but PC1 sets to far from FSX computer. Uninstalled.
2. Installed on PC2; (Win7), does not work and spent two nights trying to get it working. Uninstalled.
3. Installed on PC3; (WinXP), works only after installing Active Sky Evolution onto this computer. Although, not using it for ASE, just did this to get Sim Connect working. Tried the FSX SDK way, but no-go.
4. PC3 on-board sound card would not work right. It would show TX and RX, but no sound heard. Purchased a RocketFish Sound Card from Best Buy. Sound Card is junk, sounded like an old Ma-Bell telephone!, returned it to Best Buy. Purchased Creative Sound Blaster X Titainium(SB).
5. Installed SB X Ti card in PC3, but could not change line input to mic input in settings. Actually, could not find the switch setting called FLEX switch.
6. Took secondary Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS from FSX computer and installed it in PC3. Installed the Titanium in FSX computer.
7. Setup headsets to go to mic input of PC 3 (Audigy 2ZS), then line out to FSX computers line in (Titanium), and then green speaker sound out to headset green speaker connector.
8. HAPPY! SB4 now works; although, found FLEX switch right after changing this all around. Could have skipped steps 5 and 6....AGGGGGHHH! Oh well.

Why was this route taken? The plan is to be able to speak to VATSIM ATC through PC3 and then the sound will also be passed to FSX Computer, so FS2Crew can still be used. TX sounds to VATSIM would only be transmitted by using PTT from Wide Server to WideFS Client on PC3.

Sadly, didn't think about the RX sound coming back from VATSIM ATC and that it would also carry over to FS2Crew. The fix would be to make the Titainium the mic input, then line out to the Audigy 2ZS, and then out to headsets. Thus, the sounds would go through the FS2Crew, and then to SB4 VATSIM. In either case, FS2Crew will be listening, so it will likely try to make changes based on this communication.

Is there a way to PTT for FS2Crew? The old FS2Crew used keyboard commands, but don't believe the new versions still uses them. I'll have to check on this further.

Finally, all this work to get SB4 and VATSIM working. Is it worth it? Yes, because the cockpit can be boring when the Simlady is not flying with. Plus, the ATC component makes it better. Had FSX multiplayer (MP) and Gamespy worked correctly, probably would have not switched to VATSIM. The problem was the 3 projector views in FSX MP; they would not stay as programmed using the .FLT file. And, you cannot load an .FLT file once logged into a session onto FSX MP.

No problem though, VATSIM is way more serious and professional, so that will take the cockpit up to whole new level. Besides, in the future, we hope to join the World Flight Group and have our own team...LOL, maybe in another 5 years, but at least we can hope right?

Until then, we'll be able to fly with or follow all the WF teams on VATSIM this year. Like Scott, who is having a get-together for WF, we might do the same. However, if the East Coast Snow Storms is an indicator for "Winter in Wisconsin", if might just be Karen and I... Yes, it could snow here by WF time!

BSD

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate