Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 06:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
354 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 377
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 354
Total: 354

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

MikeL 737 Project (Update)

Started by MLeavy737, December 16, 2011, 05:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hi all,
Starting a new thread here for project updates. I realized that my sim pics all scattered all over the forums! Would be nice to have them all together.. here we go!
Ill put up some older ones first.

Mike L.
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

MLeavy737

MLeavy737

And the latest work has been getting the TQ to fit up to the MIP. Had to do some metal cutting of the MIP to allow the autothrottle motors to basically sit inside the CDU bay.

Also got the rudder pedals installed. Had to cut out a notch in the MIP floor to allow them to fit. This is one of the older, maybe even first DST from FDS. Things have changed alot since then as im sure FDS will tell you! :) Either way, Ill get it to work!

Mike L.

jackpilot

Ha..getting serious!! Keep pics coming.
Jack

Jack

simsimmer

Hey Mike,

Did you fabricate your own MIP out of sheet metal?  If so, do you have scaled drawings.

I don't recognize that MIP is why I'm asking.

Thanks.

Never mind Mike, after careful reading noticed it's a FDS MIP.   

MLeavy737

Yeah its an OLD MIP from FDS that i traded a friend for. I dont think FDS had any intention of using it inside a shell because..... It does NOT fit!  Its requiring a lot of cutting and due to that will require me to build a support structure behind the MIP to hold it and the glare in place.

I really do like the metal feel of it though, alot better than the wood MIP structure i had before this.

Mike L

MLeavy737

Quote from: jackpilot on December 16, 2011, 10:16:17 AM
Ha..getting serious!! Keep pics coming.
Jack

I had to get my head out of the computer and start doing some building!  The big dirty stuff needs to be done by spring so the sim can move out of the garage and into the media room where the software and wiring fun can begin!

Mike L

MLeavy737

Hi all,
Have a few update pics.. Finished cutting up the MIP so it all fits inside the shell now.  Still need to build up a support structure behind it so i can mount the glare. thats next..

Also here are a few Pre-alpha phase teaser pics of my software in development for the sim. As some may know, my plans are to be able to use my sim for Continental/United 737 training and new hire initialization. The only way to do that is to have everything work and look EXACTLY like it does in a Continental/United airplane.. In other words, what i look at everyday at work flying it. Plus its just (plane) fun to develop! 

Well as usual ill do my best to keep everyone posted!

Mike L.

MLeavy737

My software pics...

Mike L

jackpilot

Making it 100% replica is a huge challenge!!!
Do you fly with the "analog" PFD/ND?
Jack

Jack

matta757

Jack,

Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but every Continental 737 photo I have seen has the "analog" gauge display instead of the newer style NG. I am assuming it's because they still have the 737-500, which uses the analog instruments? Mike?

Matt

MLeavy737

Quote from: jackpilot on January 05, 2012, 04:41:39 AM
Making it 100% replica is a huge challenge!!!
Do you fly with the "analog" PFD/ND?
Jack

Thats exactly right guys, we still fly with the analog type instruments because of the 500 we still have. Our FAA inspector will not allow the switch to be flipped to the PFD/ND setup until the 500's are gone. I guess they feel the pilots cant handle flying multiple type displays? We also had the 300 for a while however they are finally gone so were getting closer. Everything is a process in the airlines. My corporate friends have been flying around with FAA approved iPads in the cockpit and here at the airlines its dragging on forever!

Jack, as  far as my display software being a challange, your right in some ways.. it is.. However its nothing really different then whats already being done and whats out there, its just specific to a Continental/United group of tail numbers. In other words, nothing generic about it.  Also having flown the airplane for the last 5 years or so with over 4500 hours in it, knowing how the software should look and works becomes senond nature. There is no digging through books and manuals to see what switch does what and what a certain CDU page looks like etc.  So that part becomes easy. The hard part is finding the time to write it! Thank goodness for laptops and quiet time in hotels!  Oh and having access to the airplane for 85 hrs a month :)

Ive already had to tell the captain im flying with.. " Hey im not going to execute this.. i just want to try something.. " Watching their face is always funny..  And the question that comes after that is.. "Why?" And i say.. "Well because im writing some software and blah blah..." Gives us something to talk about for the next 3 days and they certainly dont try to test me on the airplane :)

Also for me its just part of the sim build.  Some guys want to make their own panels, i want to write my own software for it! Its all fun!

Mike L

727737Nut

Hey Mike,
The sim and software are looking great!

Thanks for the update

Rob
737 Junkie

matta757

Mike,

Funny that your company doesn't trust you enough to fly with different sets of gauges... I did some looking at photos this morning and I believe Southwest, who operates both NG and -300/-500 series, lets their pilots fly all types. And even stranger than that, their old generation airplanes have NO GLASS in them at all. So how their pilots can switch between all glass and no glass but you guys at UAL/COA can't doesn't make much sense to me...

Matt

MLeavy737

Matt,
  Your right, i dont get it. Im sure there is more to the story and usually it involves money.  Maybe someone doesnt want to pay to flip a switch. I dont know.  Also alot of times and i think in this case its not the company but the FAA and our inspector. They have command over all that stuff. Who knows really!

Mike L

blueskydriver

Mike,

At this point you're working on the Displays (MIP/EICAS/CDU), but have you dove into the Overhead/Avonics, as well as the big "Flight Model" issue yet? If you're not doing the Flight Model, then which model will/are you be working with?

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

MLeavy737

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 05, 2012, 12:12:08 PM
Mike,

At this point you're working on the Displays (MIP/EICAS/CDU), but have you dove into the Overhead/Avonics, as well as the big "Flight Model" issue yet? If you're not doing the Flight Model, then which model will/are you be working with?

BSD

Overhead and Avionics.. Yes thats in the works and im pretty excited about it all. Hopefuplly ill have some action pics to show when the sim is wired up and in the house this spring.  Like i said before, at this point while the wx is cooler and when i'm home i'm concentrating on the build and getting it ready to move into the house. The coding is being done on layovers on a laptop.

I must say, i really am having a great time with the sim and especially writing the software for it.  I have definately learned more and find myself looking at the airplane and its logic in a completely different way when flying it.  Its fun making notes and picking out details that 25yr captains never noticed!

The flight model.. Yeah thats always fun to discuss lol. Honestly i still have not completely decided. At this point my plan is to use Xplane. And for the flight model, i like the x737. It will require some tweaking thought i can tell. Once my flight controls are hooked into the sim i think i'll get a better idea.

Ill let you know and keep you updated!

Mike L

Trevor Hale

Mike, I am gobsmacked.  I can`t beleive how far you have come.  Makes me really happy to see th eprogress you have made.

Great stuff.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

MLeavy737

Thanks Trev and everyone else who commented!

To me it feels like its dragging and dragging but i guess well call that research :)

Mike L

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate