Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
563 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 563
Total: 563

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cessna Citation Mustang Build

Started by hexpope, March 22, 2012, 05:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hexpope

Hi all, I think it's about time I started a topic on my build of the Cessna Citation Mustang. With the help of scott and Phil (Which cut hours and hours of work) regarding 1:1 scale drawings and also learning how to spray paint (Thanks Phil)

I have been busy with the Laser and started on the main panels for the cockpit. So far I have completed (Panel wise) the Left lower panel, Gear Panel, Gear and Lighting panel.

Regarding info about which Aircraft and what im using  to display, interface here it is.

Flight model and systems : Flight1 Cessna Mustang
Screens : 2 x 10.4" screens for the two PFD's
1 x 17" for the MFD and also to display the Standby instruments

Regarding IO

Opencockpits USB Axes, Master Card, USBKeys Card. Pokeys for the rotary encoders (25 In total!)

So im taking the Lua, SIOC route so far with LINDA.

Trevor Hale

Hey Bud,  Sounds like you have been busy in the background just getting geared up.  Good for you.  I am looking forward to some more information from you.  Keep us updated, and personally I think everyone should have a thread for their project.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Cant wait to see the pictures.   I love the Mustang!

Scott

hexpope

Well there will be no pictures tonight, as I can't find the SD card for the damn thing, but its a good pre weekend this weekend and family are coming all the time, so Feed them and leave them, thats what I am hoping for. I hope to get pictures up tomorrow. I could take the easy route and use my phone but it's not 12mp so I think I will have to wait for the cam.

@ Scott, with a little bit of work, I got alot of panels created. Your drawings saved me hours of work. Sorry with this update without pictures. I can't find the SD card for the thing, and I need it as I have family coming from all over the place this weekend as my little brother is being comfirmed. Once again Scott, thank you for your drawings etc...... It really saved me hours of my time.

hexpope

Just back after a mad weekend. I cant still find my camera which sucks as I can't post my panels. I am ordering the electronics tonight. I was thinking of going with the POkeys card for my ALP'S EC11 encoders, it can support 26 encoders.... Really sorry I dont have pictures, as I would have loved scott to see them done from the laser machine.

XOrionFE

26?  wow, i need to check that card out.  which one is it?

Scott

hexpope

It's the Pokeys56U or the ethernet version (56E) Shame I didn't get the ethernet version as theres is a brilliant free application ( FSSymphony) which cuts out all the coding, but only works with the 56E version.  I contacted the author of the software and asked him was he going to release a version for the USB version of Pokeys. He stated that he wasn't going to, but will consider it in the coming month/s regarding how busy he is.

Heres a link to FSSymphony

http://www.flying-the-winglets.de/ReviewsHardware0.html#FSSymphony

Here is a link for the USB version from Poscope company.

http://www.poscope.com/pokeys56u

I was talking to the creator of the card asking about if I could use my encoders as I have two types. Single encoders from Ebay, and then the ALPS EC11, and he stated that nearly every encoder works with the card. So 25 isn't bad. The one card will do all of the cockpit.

I would recommend that you download both applications and have a look at them. (Pokeys latest version, it runs in demo mode so you can fool around with it, and download FSSymphony and have a look, you`ll see what I mean.

hexpope

Ok I have recieved my Pokeys Card 56U and it's a charm to work with, it can use all my different encoders I have collected in the past without any problems which is great.

Here are some pictures of the panels I have lasered etc,  I have more parts which are switches, 5 meters of Bright white backlighting roll, and the Momentary Engine Start and disengage switches which should arrive next week.

Take note that the very lower left Panel is pretty big as im building 1:1 scale for the panels. So I had to half the two pictures.  For some reason they look curved or something in the pictures, but I can assure you they are not.

I have tested for light bleed with very high brightness LED's @ 12V with about 8 of them in a stack right up against the back of the  panels and they passed.

I messed up a little with the RH on the Landing Gear but when im doing another panel run I'll just make another.

I need to order some toggle switch caps too.

[smg id=290]

[smg id=289]

[smg id=291]

[smg id=292]

Trevor Hale

These are incredible.  Some days I really wish I had a CNC or a Laser.  Nice Job!
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

shaneb

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

hexpope

Thanks guys, I am no pro,  but im happy with the results for myself. I am hoping to show more updates next week with the backlighting and the rest of the parts installed and a few other panels created which to my surprise are actually not backlit !!

Regarding the Pokeys card, I am getting on well with it. It works like a charm and I don't even think I need to go down the full LUA route either apart from trying to find the Systems test panel, and the cabin air conditioning functions as it's not in the hotkeys ini file with the F1 cessna or the LUA script for the F1 cesnna mustang with LINDA, even FSUIPC Macros does not trace it. So I am stuck there at the moment. I will have to read the manual from LINDA and FSUIPC for tracing internal offsets regarding LUA.

By any chance, does anyone know where I can get cheap toggle switch caps ?

XOrionFE

Looks awesome

You can buy white as well as colored toggle caps at sportys.com

Can't wait to see them backlit.  Awesome work

Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks really professional. I guess these panels in this Citation don't use a backplate with a lightplate attached?

Check with Gwyn about the switch caps. I bought a bunch from him over a year ago to replace the factory caps on my switches.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

hexpope

As regards the backlighting, I have on order 5 meters of bright white SMD's which have an adhesive backing and you can cut them in sections. If you look closely at the panels you`ll see I have indeed added extra holes which is for the back plate mounting which are about 1" to 2" back from the main panel to lay the SMD strips on. I have those lasered out too when I done this run, I thought there was no need to post those pictures.

The distance from the front panel to the SMD's should spread the light even and not create hot spots against the engraving.

Thanks Scott, and BSW for the heads up on the toggle caps.

[EDIT]

For other people if they are wondering about the backlighting. This is exactly what I am using. They work perfectly off the 12V rail of any PC PSU and of course very cost effective (9.39 EUR) Free shipping.

5M White SMD 3528 300 LED 60Leds/m Light strip 12V 24W Citipower

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Brand-New-5M-White-SMD-3528-300-LED-60Leds-m-Light-strip-12V-24W-Citipower-/220981996724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33738dacb4

hexpope

Got a quick verbal update as I am waiting for my cam batteries to recharge again. It takes ages for a fully recharge of AA, and AAA inserted batteries, I gather my charger is getting old now. (10 + years)

Either way, I have been working on the backlighting and it's working like a dream. I have started the auto pilot and it's 99% done. That means all buttons, active / non active LED's, Rotary encoders (To the Flight1 Mustang Spec)

Back lighting is done for the lower left panel, Gear Panel, and PAX / Aircraft lighting panel. I have most of the switches for them also, but I thought I would just start on the auto pilot as it's a pretty important panel and function with or without a cockpit.  I didn't do the exact structure of it as it LED's, and rotary placement and size, I thought I would just make it look like the best I could without having to create PCB from F4 board. As I don't have any in my workshop and I really want to start using bits and pieces that I have laying around in the workshop.

So tomorrow I will post pictures of my Auto pilot, Lower left switch panel, and PAX / Lighting panels with 98% switches installed and backlighting.

Just on a note as I am using OC Master card for IN/OUT, and using the PoKeys for the rotaries, so the auto pilot has quite a few wires coming out of it for the use of three different types of functions.

Now for the rest of the evening I think I will get into my script for SIOC regarding my work.

Thanks for reading, and again sorry about the non picture update.

hexpope

Here is the Cessna Mustang Autopilot I was working on last week. I have included two pictures showing you how I managed the autopilot and tactile switches along with the LED's.

LED Supply Voltage = 5volts / LED's = 2.3 / 2.7 forward voltage 20MA and I decided to go with 180ohm resistors instead of 150/160. I found the LED's too bright when I focused on them when active.

Tactiles are extended shaft 6 x 6 mm

Black lighting is 12volt SMD strips. Very bright.

Rotary encoders are bought from Ebay with a momentary switch, they also come with the knobs which is handy and they are cheap too and work perfectly with the Pokeys Card. I designed the buttons so that they would carry the backlight very well through the buttons hence the double strip at the top of the backlighting panel.

It still needs a small bit of work regarding screw painting and I decided not to use or build a thumb screw for the vertical speed as it would just complicate things regarding the space from the buttons to the front panel. I need to find a long knob(No pun intended, lol) to fit the encoder you see without a knob.

My charger or 2500mh batteries are shot so I had to use my phone, so I hope you can see the picture ok. I couldn't take picture with the backlight as the camera phone would look just it justice. (I tried and it did not work out)

Also I modified the auto pilot with LED's in different places to make things easier, but it comes close to the look of the real one.

[smg id=298]

Trevor Hale

Awesome Work, and Very nicely built.  I bet it works like a charm.

I love seeing pictures of progress, and that everyone is good progress.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

hexpope

Quote from: Trevor Hale on April 25, 2012, 03:01:12 AM
Awesome Work, and Very nicely built.  I bet it works like a charm.

I love seeing pictures of progress, and that everyone is good progress.

Trev

Thanks Trev, I have fully tested it when I finished my SIOC script for the buttons and LED outputs. The rotary encoders were a no brainer with the Pokeys card. 100% working thank god.

Now to find that knob I need to complete it.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate