Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
558 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 558
Total: 558

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My 737 sim has been sold

Started by Maurice, August 18, 2013, 06:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I'm thrilled to report that my sim has been sold. Someone in this forum bought it with the intention of using some of the main assemblies and selling or replacing whatever he already has in his current build. I will leave it up to that person to identify himself or remain anonymous if he so chooses.

I can now start thinking about my next much simpler generic project. It will be fun to fly different aircraft types for a change, low & slow over beautiful Orbx scenery.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Good for you Mau.

Good to see you back with new projects.
Jack

Jack

rhysb

Great news Mau,

Best of luck with the new build
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Nat Crea

jskibo

Congrats Mau,

Looking forward to watching your next project!
Less than 4 years to retirement......

B737NG

Congrats Maurice! Looks like I made it up there just in time for my first and last flight!!!

Steve
Steve Wekarchuk
'B737NG'

Jetcos

It was a sad (and happy) day yesterday as I handed over some liner clips to Maurice as he starts the dis-assembly of his sim. But also a happy day to know the sim is heading off to a new home.

I always enjoy Maurice's visits at FDS, we cover lots of things, good chats. I look forward to seeing Mau's newest project and we will be around if he needs some items that we can make for him.

Best of luck to both CB members as they begin their new projects.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Maurice

Quote from: B737NG on August 20, 2013, 06:27:39 PM
Congrats Maurice! Looks like I made it up there just in time for my first and last flight!!!

Steve

Knowing your level of 'geekiness', you probably gave Mason his own cell phone already so that he can follow your path as well :). So, can I have his phone number? I would like to phone him from time to time and remind him to keep bugging you to finish your sim before I'm too old to drive to your place and fly it when I get the urge to caress a real 737 nose ;D

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: Jetcos on August 21, 2013, 04:16:46 AM

I always enjoy Maurice's visits at FDS, we cover lots of things, good chats.

When I told my wife the sim was sold, she asked me if I was still going to continue visiting FDS from time to time to which I replied of course. Even if I gave up simming entirely, I would still drop in whenever I am in Newmarket.

I have been following the progress of FDS almost since their entire business consisted of making panels and a few other components. I have marvelled at Peter's ability to sense where the sim market was headed and also for blazing new trails for others to follow.

It was when Steve joined his brother that the business really mushroomed as Peter was now able to concentrate on what he does best and let Steve do what he does best, which is running the shop and the technical support side.

I always look forward to my visits at FDS and hearing about Steve's travels to customers around the world and also about Peter's new (or old) passion for radio controlled model airplanes, including some really big multi engine ones.  :o. Hmmm!  I wonder if model airplanes might become a new FDS side business some day?  ::)

Anyway, I'm just beginning to think about my next sim project and my biggest fear is scope creep. My initial idea was for something very simple just like it was when I started this whole business many moons ago.

All I wanted was just a few switches for my desktop sim and I ended up with a full 737 flight deck with a motorized home made TQ. Sounds familiar? But I'm sure my wife will keep me in line this time and remind me of why I decided to sell the 737 sim.

At any rate, the friendships I made thanks to this hobby will endure, unlike the ones I made with fellow employees in several previous jobs despite all the good intentions. There seems to be a special bond between aviation lovers which does not fade out with time.

And finally, I should really learn to limit the size of my posts. I always start with the intention of writing just a few words and it often ends up as verbal diarrhea on print, like this paragraph for instance.

I often kid my wife she is a motor mouth when she is on the phone with her family or friends without realizing I do the same when I post in this forum. Someone please stop me! You have more important things to do with your time than read the ramblings of a retired person with way too much free time to squander while still in bed.  :bed:

Maurice

N737AG

Maurice :

Here is a water canon salute to you on your retirement from sim airliner duty.

I sure hope to see you up in the air again soon in your new masterpiece of simulator construction.

Axel

Maurice

Quote from: N737AG on August 21, 2013, 08:44:52 AM
Maurice :

Here is a water canon salute to you on your retirement from sim airliner duty.

Axel

ROFL!!! Had I known I would have such a grand send off, I would have retired earlier  :laugh:

See you soon in the skies. New project well underway already.

Maurice

jackpilot

:D :D

BTW : What about that one ?
maximum simplicity, no automation, maximum flying pleasure.

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on August 21, 2013, 10:11:58 AM
:D :D

BTW : What about that one ?
maximum simplicity, no automation, maximum flying pleasure.

Not sure about that. Looks a little too fast for me  :)

Maurice

Nat Crea

QuoteAll I wanted was just a few switches for my desktop sim and I ended up with a full 737 flight deck...

Yup...that was me...CHYoke and 17"monitor...I was in heaven  ;D

Axel...love your sense of humour mate!

Nar

blueskydriver

Hey Maurice,

I am both happy and sad your sim sold... Happy because you've finally let her go, but sad because all of us will one day let ours go; however, not many of us have been around to actually see one on your level let go. In other words, a top tier home simulator seeing the door, so too speak, is hard to realize because so many of us (not all) don't have a sim like yours. So, the thought of that is very difficult.

Still, you'll now have all that much more time to do other things and even do a smaller sim. Or, you could always take up RC planes or RC cars! Like Peter Cos, I am into RC, have nearly 50 RC planes, and add that to the sim(s) I have, it is more than enough. Yet, I sometimes wonder which hobby I will choose in the end, if that day ever comes. I bet Peter knows what I mean on this one. RC is great and you surely get that sense of instant accomplishment when the RC planes takeoff, fly and land. Unlike Sims, where you toil forever, make many changes only you can see, and most times never have anyone else there with you. So, I think RC is much better...at least that is until you crash a $2,000 RC plane on the maiden flight...

Whatever you take up now, I wish you many years of fun. Hey, why not make a full size ATC simulator with a curved screen? Just think...low computer requirements, a big box shape tower mockup, some plexi, a few keyboards, a mockup radar desk, a headset mic, a sweaty shirt with loosened tie, a video copy of Airplane I and II, and a fridge full of Diet Coke... You'll be all set, and then you could do ATC on VATSIM.

Best Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

A control tower in my basement? Hmmm! As crazy as it sounds (and it does sound insane) it would almost be worth it just to see my wife's reaction if I announced this as my next project.  ;D

Nobody could ever accuse you of not dreaming big John. Assuming this was a serious suggestion, there would be no point in having a big wraparound screen since I was never able to see planes on the runway when on short final. It would be like being a controller during IMC conditions, so the radar screen would be the only useful piece of hardware.

Anyway, as I said many times, very simple is what I want, and learning ATC procedures is definitely not simple. RC planes might be something I would consider after my next very simple GA sim is done. However, I have also resurrected an old hobby of mine which was watercolor painting and this one alone can consume many hours.

Maurice

fsaviator

Here you go Mau...

I've been eyeing one of these for a while now:

http://youtu.be/8RuHldqwZ90

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Joe Lavery

Here's another one Warren, this guy shows how he made it and the first flight. The video's a bit wobbly but it proves it can fly.  Joe

Windrider KLM BOEING 737 - How It's Made & Maiden Flight

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

phil744

^ I still have the windrider 787, never flown it, but one day.

ever thought about trying your hand at FPV? i love it, beats any simulator, I can sit on my ass, drinking coffee and have a view like this to keep me amused for hours on end.

Good for checking traffic also, 1.5 hour flight time, 20 mile range :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate