Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
548 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 548
Total: 549

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Starting Over......

Started by Caflyt, January 19, 2014, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caflyt

Recently Vanessa gave me the reluctant "go-ahead" to stay in the garage..(I think she meant the sim) so it was time to make a decision. Continue building on to my single seat creation or start from scratch. Because this project was a "learning experience" and therefore had many crude fabrications piled on top of lots of very poorly thought out and executed wiring and structural components, I opted for a Do-Over. I have begun piecing together the MIP stand and will soon be tearing down the old to migrate the components to the new. I have completed my home built throttle but am now even second guessing some of the work I did on that too. I can see myself tearing that apart in the future also to make changes that reflect what I've learned from prior mistakes.
Wish me luck as I dig myself an even bigger hole by completely starting over!

jackpilot

You just joined the club!
Happened or will happen to most of us.

Enjoy
  :D

Jack

Aerosim Solutions

It certainly happened to me, three years into Mk2!! The second time is much easier when you have learned so much from the first build. Good luck with your project!
Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

phil744

Dont worry, ive decided to re build mine probably 15 times now, and still managed to build the square root of nothing :)

You live and learn. things just keep getting better and better :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

iwik

Just think how much better this one will be after all the things you didn't like with what you had. Remember your sim never really is finished as there will always be thoughts on how things could be done
better. You have to know when to stop and enjoy.
Les

N737AG

I hope your "neighbour" isn't the cause for this decision

Caflyt

Yes Axel, you had a large hand in it. The worst thing someone like me can do is to go see something like you are creating. After flying Sam's Sim and spending time with you and your baby, I can't help but come back and look at mine and think "what the heck is that"! But truthfully, you and your Sim have been a huge inspiration for me to dive headlong into doing it right. Not to mention the advice and the parts that you made available to me..... Yeah it's mostly your fault.

jackpilot

Jack

Sam Llorca

Way to go Craig!!! Enjoy!!!

Cheers,

Caflyt

Thank you Sam, but you know that you're partly to blame for this also! One big turning point in all of this was when we came to your house for world flight and my wife got a sense of the passion we all have for this hobby. I think that your wife may have softened her up A little bit too.
In addition to Axel and Sam I want to thank Jack Pilot and CPJ for their help as well.

Sam Llorca

Is ok I'll take the blame, lol.

Caflyt

I've made a little more progress. I'm getting the panel situated after building a new base. Trying to be as accurate as I can with dimensions on this one so Im taking my time this go around. I have a couple of airline buddies taking a few measurements for me as I go. I met another 737 Capt. last weekend as he and his wife were out for a walk. I had the MIP out on the driveway as they walked by and he stopped over to take a look at what I was up to. He was shocked that I was building a 737 in my garage and it looks like he will be stopping by quite often to check the progress and offer advice etc. once it's finished, he promised to get me thoroughly up to speed on flying the thing by the numbers.
I'm building lots of stuff myself and spent much of today fabbing a new glare wing from MDF. My son is planning on an airline career so I'm making him help out a little.
Here's where I'm at so far.....

N737AG

Awesome Craigh. Got to drive over to your place one of these weekends.

Axel

Caflyt

Thank you Axel! I will see you very soon, either at your hangar or mine.
Are you back "Stateside" ?
I am still sort of engineering on the fly and it would be great to have an expert set of eyes to look over my build and share your ideas on my course of action. Your work is top notch and your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Time seems to be one of my biggest obstacles and I find myself spending lots of it just staring at the sim and thinking, thinking, thinking....."hmmmm, how can I do that".
Sometimes I do absolutely nothing because my brain can't settle on any one particular idea.
I spent most of Saturday shaping one glare wing and another full day re-making my gear lever. Both came out very well but it sure looks like , at this pace, I've got another year until it's flyable. I sure do save a lot if money fabricating things myself but it sure does drain the "time bank account" doing it.
Even though my sim may not have some of the fancy expensive commercial products on it it still is looking pretty good to me. I will tell you one thing though, when I sit back and look at something I made from scratch it sure does feel good knowing "I MADE THAT"!

Sam Llorca

Looking great Craig, I remember those days, soon you are going to know by heart what's on every isle at your local Home Depot, lol, keep up the good work and let me know if I can help. Cheers, Sam.

Sam Llorca

Caflyt

Page field is where I actually got my private pilots license back in '92.
I was living over in Fort Myers at the time and spent many hours in the sky above that area. Fortunately, no bird strikes for me.
Thank you Sam, all of your encouragement and help is always very appreciated.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate