Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 08:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
355 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 355
Total: 355

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New Gauge Technology

Started by tennyson, April 01, 2014, 06:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

Can anybody shed any light on these new gauges from SimWorld?

They look very impressive, almost as good as the Flight Illusion gauges, but for an overhead, about 600 euro's cheaper!

They can be hooked up to a Can unit, which is also available from SimWorld. I'd like to know a bit more about that interface solution as well.

I'm in need of a top class solution for gauges in my overhead, so do I buy the SimWorld ones and save 600 euro's or do I go the tried and true route of FI?

Any help or experience would be helpful, please?

Frank Cooper

KyleH

CanBus is a communications standard that was developed to allow microcontroller's to communicate with each other in a vehicle. Think of it kind of like an Ethernet network.
You have a single controller box that the gauges would plug into. I'm not sure on how they implemented it, but you would theoretically daisy-chain the instruments together back to the control box so you would have 1 connection back to the computer/controller. Makes wiring much easier, and you don't need several control cards to run a number of gauges.

See a discussion here (different company I believe):
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=4119.0

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Bob Reed

So in other words, it may not be 600 Euro's cheaper depending on the cost of the controller. What about cabling, is it included. You have to look for hidden costs!

KyleH

Looks like they charge $97 for the controller
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Caflyt

It appears that these gauges can work on both CAN or PWM according to their website. I have sent Filip an email asking about them but he didn't respond today. I will likely hear from him tomorrow as he's usually very prompt and helpful. I will report what I find out.
I also asked if they can be purchased separately instead of the whole set.

mickc

I ordered a full set of these a few weeks ago, and they will be here next week.
I ordered the full set for the fwd overhead, as well as the MIP.

Mine are being supplied with a full set of cables as I am one of the first customers.

When i receive them I will be able to answer any other queries and post pics etc.

As usual, Filip at Simworld is an excellent man to deal with, and is always looking after his customers.

As for the FI gauges, I personally find them overly expensive, and the lighting on them looks like an afterthought.
The Simworld gauges are properly backlit, not just a couple of LEDs poked into the side of the glass.

Flight Illusion :

Simworld

tennyson

That's 600 bucks cheaper with the aft  overhead gauge, six forward overhead gauges and the Can Bus unit as well. It doesn't include postage, but neither did the FI gauges.

I'm just getting the scratch organised and I'm gonna buy a set of these. I will send an email to them first tho, to make sure they interface with ProSim properly.

I'd bet they do.

Frank Cooper

tennyson

What avionics suite are you using, Mick?
And what was the cost of shipping, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Qld, so it will give me a good idea.

Frank Cooper

mickc

Hi Frank.

I am running Prosim as well, and Marty already has native support for Simworld hardware, so no drivers are even needed :)

Shipping for my order was 112 Euro via UPS,  **BUT** my order was not just the gauges, I have some large aluminium frames in the same shipment so the cost is obviously higher

Caflyt

Filip wrote back and told me the gauges ARE available seperately if needed but of course cheaper as a full set.

"Single needle gauge is €130,09 and a dual needle one is €174,80. We do recommend our CAN controller - simbox to take advantage of all features."

They have not yet been added to their store online but he said I can email him the order.

Mickc....
Can't wait to hear and see how you rate them!
Anxiously waiting :)

Sam Llorca

tennyson

Well, I got a nice email back from an enquiry there.

All my questions were answered sufficiently and I'm happy with the reply.

It all works flawlessly with ProSim, so that was the pre-requirement for me.

I should have the scratch together by next week and then I'm ordering a full overhead set, the Can Bus controller and the rear overhead gauge as well for 1700 bucks, with postage.
That's still 700 dollars cheaper than FI (2400 bucks at the current exchange rates) plus postage.

I'll also be taking some pics with installation, so i'll throw a few on here, when I get them.

Frank Cooper

Caflyt

There's a video of the gauges on their web store.
http://www.simworld.pl/shop/

Filip wrote me today:
"The idea of our P&P modules is to make them really P&P, so when they arrive, the only thing to do is to power them, connect to a USB/CAN bus and... fly. :) And it does work that way."

Mickc....
Can't wait to see how they work for you!
Be sure to update us!!!

Looks very promising!

mickc

Just got the UPS shipment notification, i should see them in about 4-5 days  ;D ;D ;D

Caflyt

Yipeeeeee!!!
If you can, please provide videos. Can't wait to get your impressions.

mickc

The eagle has landed  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I will get them working and provide a review shortly

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate