Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
353 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

6dof Motion Platform - Initial testing with all Actuators operational...

Started by sagrada737, September 17, 2015, 04:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

It has been many months since I last updated the status on my 737-800 Sim Project and the 6dof Motion Platform that is under construction.   But after a few days of wiring and debugging cabling issues, I was able to achieve initial success in getting all the actuators operational with my 6dof Motion Platform project. 

I should also note that I have sold my 70" LCD monitors and I am in the process of replacing them with a 3-projector projection display setup.   I'll make a separate post on that project.   In the meantime, I am projecting the Sim display on the wall of my Sim Room.

Below is a video showing some of the testing status at this point in my project.

The first segment of the video shows all the entire system operational as interfaced with FSX using the BFF 6dof motion software with the AMC1280usb controller.  I was pleased with how smooth the actuator movements were for a so-called normal flight in the 737-800 Sim.   It was as I expected them to be.

The second segment of the video shows a view of the Upper Motion Platform with the FSX display in-line in the background.   The video camera is on a tripod on the floor behind the motion platform, facing the flight sim display.  This gives an idea of general movements associated with turns.

The third video segment shows the 6dof actuators responding to more aggressive motion cues as a result of flying straight-and-level in turbulent weather.   I was again pleased with the fast response times of the actuators (for a 737 application).  The rest of this segment shows a bit about some of the 6dof systems.   As I commented before, the motor/gearboxes are currently mounted on wooden bases in this initial testing phase to allow for easy relocation of each motor/gearbox section of the platform.  It turns out that there is no apparent mechanical interference in the system as shown.   I might make some slight adjustments in the 6dof layout, but not anything radical.

The last video segment has the video camera mounted on a tripod secured to the Upper Platform, with a flight taking off and landing at Gilbrater Airport.   The camera is placed where the Pilot's "eyepoint" would be in the cockpit of the completed 737-800 Sim.   This was to help see if there were any major out-of-sync movements of the motion platform with what was happening in the flight's display with FSX.   I was pleased that in general, it appeared to represent what might be close to correct motion cue setting in the BFF 6dof motion software in the completed system.   Refinements made to the Motion Cues will only be possible when I'm actually sitting in the finished cockpit of the 737-800 Sim.   My goal prior to that is to have the motion cues as close as possible before subjecting myself to the possibility of getting "sim sickness" testing this thing.

I will continue this phase of testing, making design refinements as necessary.   My next step will be to design and build up a wooden mock-up of the 737 flight deck base in preparation for creating the steel weldments necessary to complete a proper Upper Platform structure, to which the Flight Deck will be mounted.

While all this is going on...   I am currently in the process of fabricating a mock-up of the 220 degree wrap-around screen for the projection display.    More on that later...  For now however, projecting on the wall works quite nicely as I can easily check out various other Sim systems.   Anyway....   That's the progress thus far.

Regards,
Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMfTR3h3ruk&feature=youtu.be
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

tennyson

Holy Smokes, Mike, that is some serious hardware you got going on there.

I recently took a flight in a mates Bell 206 on a 6 DOF system. it was truly amazing and so realistic. The sensations of moving around are hard to beat in any other form of the hobby.

I hope you keep the vids coming, love to see the finished article.

Frank Cooper

mickc

Awesome work Mike!

I'm going down this route too, I already have Thanos's AMC1280 boards, and Ian's BFF software, just sourcing the VFDs and gearmotors.

You mention that your boxes are 180:1, is that including the double reduction box in the middle?

bernard S

same here using Thanos boards and BFF..with a Moog system interesting times ahead for sure

kurt-olsson

fsaviator

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Sam Llorca

FredK

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Bob Reed

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments and the encouragement.   The inspiration for my 737 Sim was initially due to Scott.   But there have been many folks that have provided insight and encouragement along the way.  Fred's beautiful Sim and wonderful HD display convinced me that an HD projection setup was the way to go.  Sam's 3dof motion platform certainly got me thinking about the possibilities for my own Sim - and so, I decided to take the plunge on this 6dof motion platform project.   A motion platform project for a full-scale Sim is not attractive for everyone, and I certainly can see the great benefit to keeping things simple in a static Sim setup.   All part of the beauty of creating our own version of what a Sim should be.

Regarding the question about the motor/gearbox and the "double reduction gearbox"...   The total reduction of the gearboxes that I am using is 160:1 at the Output Shaft.    I made a typo when I stated it was 180:1.  The first stage of the gearbox is a Helical-worm reduction, followed by a 60:1 standard worm gear reduction.

Best Regards,
Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

mickc

Quote from: sagrada737 on September 17, 2015, 04:35:50 PM
Regarding the question about the motor/gearbox and the "double reduction gearbox"...   The total reduction of the gearboxes that I am using is 160:1 at the Output Shaft.    I made a typo when I stated it was 180:1.  The first stage of the gearbox is a Helical-worm reduction, followed by a 60:1 standard worm gear reduction.

Cheer Mike!

Sam Llorca

It comes handy when you have an engineer background! Keep up the good work Mike! it looks great!  Who knows? maybe the next WFT would be at your house!

Cheers,
Sam

727737Nut

737 Junkie

fsedano

Amazing work - Now, one question. For the movement cues to be correct, I guess we need to mount the screen + projectors to the movement platform. Otherwise cues will be wrong, since the simulator is already moving the image. Are you planning to do so? Would that destroy the projector's lamp? Any other options?

Thanks!

Sam Llorca

The whole cockpit has to be mounted on the platform, yes including projectors and screen!  Rubber mounts recommended for the projectors and ssd for the computers.
https://youtu.be/IqgENXovWrk

sagrada737

Hello Sedano,

Thanks for the comments.   I continue to work on wrap-around screen display to initially setup the warp and blend parameters.

You are quite right that the screen will have to mount on the motion platform, along with the projectors.   All the motion cues must sync with the sim display.    Also, I don't expect to have any problems with the projectors, as I think the level of vibration/shock is fairly low.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMfTR3h3ruk&feature=youtu.be

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate