Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
577 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 577
Total: 577

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-300 throttle remove chassi

Started by kurt-olsson, March 23, 2016, 09:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Ok, first questions allready. :)

First step of my tq conversion is to clean it. Yesterday i removed the trim wheels and today i will remove the panels. I tried to remove the speedbrake-lightpanel but found it was stuck in some cables. Should i focus on the big screws?

Are there anything special needed for removing the panels so i get acces to clean it?

I also thinking about put some grease on the rods, but after its cleaned.

I am a little bit worried about the screws because they are old and i dont want to twist them so they become stuck. If i can remove the screws i think i will replace them with new ones.

mickc

Hi Kurt,

To remove the lightplates, just remove the screws on the lightplate itself, then lift it up slightly, and remove the nuts that attach the cables to the lightplate.

You will find pretty much all the screws on the TQ will be tight most of the way, because they are screwed into self-locking nuts or nutplates.

If you dont want to dissassemble too far, and just clean it up, I suggest you remove the side panels,  lightplates, trim indicator covers, dust seal strips, and the throttle stop plates.
There are only a few screws holding these on.

blueskydriver

If you can, try applying just a small bit of WD-40 on all the screws, around screw heads and the nuts, as long as it soaks into the threads, it will help to loosen them. Spray the WD-40 and let it sit overnight, as it needs time to penetrate years of grime buildup or wear and tear...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Sam Llorca

kurt-olsson

Thank you all very much for your answer.

As mickc said, i will not disassemble too much, just the panels so i can clean up a little bit and get access to remove the Fuel-cut wire-cables and see where the switches are.
That will be my first goal.
I will start right away to add some WD-40 on the screws and let them soak for one day.

I will focus on the side-panels before the lightpanels, that way i probably can see how the plate is connected to the cables.

Once again, thank you very much. This will not be my last question though. hehe =)

Sam, pictures comings! =)

I spent the whole evening yesterday just feeling the mecanism of the TQ, such quality in it. Even the switches are so robust!

Lot of work to do, but really fun work.

kurt-olsson

More pictures coming shortly.

kurt-olsson

Since the cut from the airplane was quite agressive, my baby only have 3/4 legs so i will make a new stand out of wood so it wont tip over!

FredK

As mentioned the wiring to the light plates can be disconnected very easily...the connections are screw nuts.  Many of the small incandescent bulbs were burnt out on mine so I did replace several (they are soldered to the light plate). I can reference the source I used...they are surprisingly expensive (something like 10 USD each)!

I did the approach of removing all metal panels completely.  You are going to need to remove most of them anyhow to install your pots and servos. The amount of dirt and grime inside was absolutely incredible so this also afforded me the opportunity of doing a complete cleaning.

Given that all the panels were disassembled I gave them a good cleaning and sanding....then spray-painted them.  So the overall result that I have looks like a new TQ.  I realize that some here prefer a more weathered look....a matter of personal preference.

Absolutely be sure to do the following!  Take many digital photos of each step of your dis-assembly process!  You can easily get lost with the pile of different screws and little parts involved.  I cannot stress enough the importance of doing that!

You will find that much of the wiring is not needed for your conversion but takes up bulky space. Trace the leads that you need and remove all the rest.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

kurt-olsson

Thanks!

Yes, step one is remove plates and clean. I bought a set of new screwdrivers just to be sure the eqipment is ok. I have mounted new sides so the throttle stands firm now. Next i will put wd-40 on all screws and leave it for tonight.

Some "problems" i have found.

Fuel cut lever 2 not as smooth as one. I will remove these cables and see what happens.

Speedbrake is smooth as silk up to 80%, then some resistance. Dont know what it could be but feels like dirt related.

Throttle nr 1 leaves 1mm to idle... Think it is also due to cable mess.

Here are some pictures of todays progress.

kurt-olsson

Pictures

kurt-olsson

Hm... I know what most stuff does, but i cant see what this switch is for?

kurt-olsson

I could not resist, after putting wd-40 in all screws i could supereasy remove the right trim panel. Progress!

Man, this is fun!!!

Garys

Quote from: kurt-olsson on March 24, 2016, 09:56:53 AM
Hm... I know what most stuff does, but i cant see what this switch is for?

That's the A/P Stabtrim cutout relay.

kurt-olsson

Ah thanks.

This is pretty embarassing, but i really dont know what the stab trim switch are for? Anyone up for short explanation?

Garys

The manual override cutout switches on the throttle quad are there to stop a main electric or A/P runaway stab condition.

The cutout relay is part of the A/P system. it is housed in the throttle quad but isnt directly related to the throttle quadrant at all.

kurt-olsson

Quote from: Garys on March 24, 2016, 11:31:21 AM
The manual override cutout switches on the throttle quad are there to stop a main electric or A/P runaway stab condition.

The cutout relay is part of the A/P system. it is housed in the throttle quad but isnt directly related to the throttle quadrant at all.

Thanks, i think i understand.

Flying_Fox

Quote from: FredK on March 24, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
...  Many of the small incandescent bulbs were burnt out on mine so I did replace several (they are soldered to the light plate). I can reference the source I used...they are surprisingly expensive (something like 10 USD each)!
Fred K

http://www.mouser.com
Search for part number: JKL Components 6832

Same lamps, but like $0.74 each ;)  I've bought mine there.

:2cw:

Nick

kurt-olsson

Quote from: Flying_Fox on March 24, 2016, 07:20:27 PM
Quote from: FredK on March 24, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
...  Many of the small incandescent bulbs were burnt out on mine so I did replace several (they are soldered to the light plate). I can reference the source I used...they are surprisingly expensive (something like 10 USD each)!
Fred K

http://www.mouser.com
Search for part number: JKL Components 6832

Same lamps, but like $0.74 each ;)  I've bought mine there.

:2cw:

Nick

Thanks, i will try some. I have the more modern "warm white" than the older "orange" backlight. So it would be excellent if they had more white bulbs. :)
I hope Mouser also have the stringpots and motors needed, because i will order through my company and take all in one invoice.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate