Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 03:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
584 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 584
Total: 584

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A Floor?

Started by Bob Reed, March 31, 2016, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Reed

After some pretty heavy thought. I will get started on the sub-floor for the sim. I really need to build this thing so it can come apart and be moved. At some point I will leave this place and I do not want to find myself in a place that I once did and have to destroy the sim to move it.

MjTom

Hi, my solution to move my 737 homecockpit.
....primitive but it works:

Slightly modified and you could make three parts of it.
so long, Thomas

jackpilot

Just a note, from experience I learned that fewer stronger casters are better than many light duty ones.
My base sits now on 4 HD 5" castors with brakes.
The idea is that they all  can jam at one point and you have 18 chances it happens vs 4.
If you bought  quality ones it shouldn't happen though.

Well built, solid ! ;)

Jack

Bob Reed

Thanks for the ideas! Casters..... Hmmmm was not thinking of that. More to think about.

navymustang

I agree, the cost of a higher quality caster is critical.  We sometimes forget how much the device weighs when the project is nearly complete. The attached photo (poor quality - sorry) shows the castors and I have a total of 9 (one in the center underneath).
Another item I am thinking about - my sim has significant wiring and mechanical connections below the floor.  The height above the floor is insufficient to get underneath, so I have to jack up the entire rig when working on under floor items. I am looking at putting RV or trailer style electric jacks at the four corners so that I can temporarily lift the entire rig for maintenance. Otherwise, I have to put four automotive scissor jacks at each corner and very slowly lift then set onto concrete blocks in order to work under it.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Flying_Fox

I have 18 lighter load casters - the reason in that  my sim room ceiling height is 235 cm. Bigger casters are at least 2-3 times higher.  I needed to save every centimeter of overall sim height.

http://elephantair737.blogspot.ca/p/sim-base.html

The platform is modular, and there is extra layer of laminate on the floor under the sim. I calculated the sim load on the floor as ~800 Kg

:2cw:

Nick

blueskydriver

Two thoughts:

One, you can use a bigger size caster and bigger is stronger of course, the thing is you build them recessed under the platform, so only enough of the usable wheel surface protrudes. If you place them on the platform bottom, you will have too worry about the height, but recessed is no more higher then small casters mounted on the bottom.

Two, mostly I see complete one size platforms that match the cockpit shell; however, try too make it in three or four subsections, that are bolted together and can be unbolted for disassembly to smaller sizes or use big metal C-clamps like I did to hold the subsections together. The clamps hold just as good as bolts, but are faster to take things a part.

I learned too do things like this while going through theater arts classes, and in doing so, it taught me that in order to conserve space and to take things a part quickly, when sets get broken down, clamps work the best. Did I mention that my sim platform is five subsections?

One for the front MIP portion, one each for each seat section, one for the back wall, CB panels and door area, and one for the raydome. All have caster wheels except the raydome platform, as there was no need to make it movable.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 01, 2016, 09:54:55 AM
Two thoughts:

One, you can use a bigger size caster and bigger is stronger of course, the thing is you build them recessed under the platform, so only enough of the usable wheel surface protrudes. If you place them on the platform bottom, you will have too worry about the height, but recessed is no more higher then small casters mounted on the bottom.

John

This is exactly what I did, , works fine.

Jack

RayS

I recessed mine as well. 5-industrial casters. It's a little difficult to move but having built other platforms with the cheaper casters, this one moves with ease in comparison.

Attached is a crude drawing if I were to build another platform. I'd do it in 2 separate pieces using 2x6 beams. Even at 2 pieces, it will be heavy but.. from experience I know that these things need to be sturdy. 
Ray Sotkiewicz

Flying_Fox

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 01, 2016, 09:54:55 AM
Two thoughts:

Remember, that using bigger size caster and recessed support, depending on design may also lead to reduced local  thickness of supporting structure. Which might not hold increased load due to reduced number of casters. So, you might meed to reinforce the caster fitting places.

You don't want to trade non-cracking big caster for snapping platform beams  or  floor cracking under the increased load.  :angel:

jackpilot

Absolutely right
I had HD steel brackets made at a local shop bolted to the beams  to support the casters.
No issue after a few years
Had pictures but cant find them. Here is the idea:

Jack

MjTom

The consideration, which is why I have taken many small casters is the permissible floor load.
I guess the cockpit weighs +1000 kg.
5 bigger casters make a pressure from 200kg to one cm².
I think it may be too much for a normal flooring construction.
18 smaller casters make a pressure from 55 kg to one cm².
......that sounds reassuring for me.

Bob Reed

My floor is cement so there is no issue with being able to hold the weight or worrying about weight distribution.

Ed

What's the best depth to use for the floor. Will 4 inches do or do most go 2 x 6 . I understand height can be an issue. I'm thinking about a floor this summer as well, but as yet I do not have linked yokes/pedals but want to leave that option open.

Ed
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

RayS

If it were me I'd use 2x6s. That should leave room for any mechanics below for the linkages.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Sam Llorca

Ed

P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

AVIATor-Olav

I would go 2x8. I made my own interconnect mechansim for the yokes. I tried to make it as shallow as possible, but I still needed 8" for adequate height. My beams sit directly on the floor though, if you put your 6" beams on casters I guess you'll have room depending on how you mount them.

Bob Reed

Well there is no chance of me having to worry about anything under my floor. I am using a PFC yoke which does have to be in the floor a bit but that is it. Maybe someday I will go to real yokes....

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate