Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 02:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
129 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,642
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Any MCP/EFIS builders out there?

Started by Goodenough, April 27, 2016, 02:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodenough

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for someone who is good at building MCP's, basically the main electronic board ,PB, so that it can be run on a program. I could have the backlit panel made to interface with the other.
Thanks,
Perry

RayS

The question is a little unclear as to exactly what you're looking for...

Do you need someone who can program an interface like the Arduino or Teensy? Or someone who actually makes the MCP panels...
Ray Sotkiewicz

KyleH

Same as Ray. Not clear on what your looking for.

Are you wanting a PCB designed and built?
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Goodenough

Sorry for being unclear.... I'm new to this. In was looking at The Goflight sim MCP and it has the following type buttons/knobs

- CMD A and CMD B Buttons
- CWS A and CWS B Buttons
- A/T ARM Toggle Switch and Indicator
- ALT HLD Button
- ALT INTV Button
- ALTITUDE Adjustment Knob and Display
- APP Button
- COURSE Adjustment Knob and Display
- C/O Button
- DISENGAGE Control Bar
- F/D Toggle Switch and Indicator
- HDG SEL Button
- HEADING Adjustment Knob and Display
- IAS/MACH (Speed) Adjustment Knob and Display
- LNAV and VNAV Buttons*
- LVL CHG Button
- N1 Button
- VERT SPEED Adjustment Wheel and Display
- SPEED Button
- SPD INTV Button*
- V/S Button
- VOR LOC Button

and it says it can be hooked up with advanced add on products for Microsoft.  So what's the difference between a plug and play like FDS MCP and having one build a MCP panel and EFIS with knobs/switches and hooking up the thing with add ons?

Thanks
Perry

RayS

I'll take a swing at this... your opinion may vary...

I think you have to ask yourself: Are you willing to build it all yourself and learn various disciplines (Wiring, soldering, programming, sawing, drilling, swearing, first aid..... the list goes on) or are you willing to take advantage of opportunity costs and just buy something from a reputable supplier.

If you go the do it yourself route, or more accurately as your post suggests, have someone do it for you, I think in the end you will have spent roughly the same amount of money as if you had purchased something outright.

Going to a good supplier brings a much higher level of fidelity. Doing it yourself guarantees 2 things: 1. You'll spend the same, if not more money for a do-it-yourself solution (Unless you have some experience in the field and know where and how to spend your money/time.) And 2: You'll end up re-doing your projects several times before you're happy with it.

(There's an unfortunate soul in this board who is currently experiencing that pain re-doing an MCP over and over)

Don't get me wrong. Doing it yourself can be a VERY enjoyable learning experience and there are some aspects of sim building that will require you to dive into skills you may not have.

In the end though, I think what you might be asking is if someone can build it for you, inferring that it might somehow be cheaper that way. The simple answer to that is: It's not. :-)
Ray Sotkiewicz

Goodenough

Thanks for the advice , which is valuable as well considering you are speaking from experience

kurt-olsson

RayS is right.

The cost will add up about the same and you will have less quality. Example:

i bought stuff for my custom Korry switches. some stuff here and there and whoop, the sum is about 50$. i add more stuff and try to rebuild, now up to about  100$ plus i bought a dremel tool to cut stuff.

Now i am ordering the Korry switches from Opencockpits becuase they have so much better finish and feel.

Right now i am about to win the war against my MCP and total cost will be about 800$ i think. Pretty "cheap" and i have low cost / time. And the MAIN reason why i build is that i dont want to rely on software and platform.

I would really recommend the Simworld Plug & Play MCP (the finish and feel is amazing), but it wont work with IXEG in X-Plane (correct me if i am wrong) But my software will once i code it.

It can also be pretty fun building, but the MCP is a pain due to the tight spacing and small components.

I will enjoy every other panel becuase they are smaller and not so tight of space. it will be pretty straight forward.

Goodenough

Thanks Peter

I see the Simworld's realistic replica of a 737NG Mode Control Panel and is fully backlightable to make all letters visible in the dark which is what I want.
I am building a B747-400 MIP and. Have all the other panels except the MCP/EFIS.

I'm glad you are winning the war and making it the way you want. I would not be able to put it all together even if the list of parts needed was provided. I  will need a guy who knows how all this fits together.

KyleH

Heed Ray's advice. Building yourself can be good if your primary goal is wanting the building experience.
If your wanting to build yourself to save costs, you have to do it yourself. Paying someone else to do it for you will not be cheaper than buying an established component.

I have the skills and experience to build what you are looking for. However, the design fee I would charge would push your total cost above that for buying an FDS unit.

I've designed all the circuit boards and microcontrollers interface for my sim, yet one piece of hardware that I've got from a sim vendor is the MCP.

There are 2 components in your sim that you will use more than any other, and that is the MCP and the CDU/FMC. You need to make sure these parts are robust, and in general you'll get a better product from a vendor than making it yourself.

If your issue is trying to source a 747MCP and are looking for an alternate to the FDS one, there is CP flight. I have their 747MCP and its a good unit for the price. Also, FDS is bringing out a less expensive version at some point soon I think so you may just want to wait for that.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

Goodenough

Thanks Kyle
I did look into what CP flight had for the B747 MCP and honestly I can 't tell the difference between the two FDS and CP flight....other than price.
Perhaps you can tell me as you their 747MCP and you say it's a good unit for the price. I should see what FDS has coming out for the B747 MCP

KyleH

I haven't used the FDS 744 MCP, I've only seen it in the shop.
I have used their 737 MCP and I'm assuming it uses the same components.

Overall the CP flight unit has a cheaper feel but it is 1/3 the price of the FDS one, and includes the Display Select Panel on the end which the FDS unit doesn't have.

The CP Flight unit uses pcb mount pushbuttons with caps that float over them held in by the panel. Think of the buttons on you stereo or DVD/Blue-ray player. They move around slightly side to side. The rotary knobs also have a similar consumer feel to them.

By contrast the FDS unit uses buttons similar to Korry switches, that have a much higher quality feel and higher force required when pushing them. Its also similar with the rotary knobs.

As far as setup, CP flight was easy: install the usb driver, and run their software. It auto-detects the aircraft being used and starts running.
I have no experience with setting up a FDS unit.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

bernard S

if its a 73 your doing then you options are strictly limited not much you can do about that:  However if you are doing a 74 then there is light at the end of the tunnel.... Simulated will never feel like the real thing period korry type is not korry or easterling its that simple  but you could get a real MCP at less cost than simulated then convert it over like it has been said earlier its one of the main items in the deck so you will be abusing it

727737Nut

737 Junkie

Goodenough

I never considered using the real MCP, are there gadgets that can interface with them?

RayS

Sure are!
http://www.ruscool.co.nz/

I use these throughout my Beech 1900, but a few members here have turned me on to Teensy and Arduino. All work equaly well, although you'll have to write the code for the microcontrollers. Ruscool stuff is all GUI/Menu driven.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Goodenough

Thanks Ray....I would need to do some homework to find out how to do codes

jackpilot

What about the  famous Aerosoft 747 MCP,  the first one ever for builders.
Works straight with FS and PM
I had a gray overlay on the tan original, could be removed
Worked perfectly some years ago. Sleeping in its original box since then.
Wan'it ?
Jack

Jack

Goodenough

Jack, sounds interesting.....about the module, is it complete and ready to use and interface with Microsoft Flight Simulator and Project Magenta. CPFLIGHT has it where it can be directly powered by the USB. How is this one connected and what is included?
Thanks
Perry

jackpilot

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate