Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:31:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
363 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 363
Total: 363

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Windows 10

Started by Joe Lavery, December 19, 2017, 02:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lavery

Hi Guys,

I'm about to build a new PC for my flight deck, which will run P3D v4 and my visuals onto 3 x 40inch 4K TVs. I won't be outputting 4K but they were cheap and have tiny bezels.
The question is, I have always run exclusively on Windows 7, because it seems more reliable but would anyone have experience with Windows 10 in such a scenario? Do you think there is any advantage to installing Windows 10?

I expect I'll be running ProSim 737, with a few more lower spec PCs to deal with cockpit displays and the FDS CDUs I just bought.

Any advice would be appreciated..  :)
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Sam Llorca

Hi Joe,

We just built a new system on Windows 10, P3Dv4, with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 3 video outputs and is working very reliable, also running ProSim737, framerates are between 25 and 40 depending on settings and airports loaded.

Cheers!

KyleH

There is no advantage with Windows10 over 7 unless the hardware you purchase requires it, as was the case with Sam's machine.

The user account control changes and difficulties controlling windows updates in 10 still make win 7 the better OS.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Joe Lavery

Thanks Guys,

What was the hardware that Sam is running?

And thanks for the quick response,

All the best
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

KyleH

It was the i9 processors that required it.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

B747-400

Hi guys

Interesting thread.

I got my three LG PF1000U Full HD LED projectors few days ago.

Joe, what graphic card is used in your system?

Cheers
Hans

Hans G. Schuetz
http://B747-400.net

Joe Lavery

Hi Hans,

I'm getting a GTX 1080Ti but I'm not sure which make yet, still checking the reviews and prices.
I'm hoping it will cope with three 1920 screens, from the reviews so far it should.

Cheers
Joe.

Bob Reed

Quote from: Joe Lavery on December 19, 2017, 09:39:33 PM
Hi Hans,

I'm getting a GTX 1080Ti but I'm not sure which make yet, still checking the reviews and prices.
I'm hoping it will cope with three 1920 screens, from the reviews so far it should.

Cheers
Joe.

Joe, 2 questions. What are your computer specs and are the screens all the same?

Sam Llorca

This are my hardware!

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G 11GB   Video Card
Intel Core i9-7900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2066   Desktop Processor
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive 
G.SKILL FORTIS Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 Memory (Desktop Memory) 
Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 

Hope it helps!

Ed

Hi Sam,

Is it possible to boot off of that Samsung M.2 drive?
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Joe Lavery

Bob,
The screens are all the same make and model - JVC 40inch 4K, and my other specs will be:

Intel Processor i7-8700 3.7GHz,
6GB DDR4 RAM,
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express
Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" Hard Drive
GTX 1080Ti Video

If I can afford it I will also get a 1TB SSD as well.

I haven't decided yet on standard or liquid cooler, because I had a Corsair unit fail on me earlier this year. It leaked over the motherboard and toasted the PCI Express sockets, so I had to buy another motherboard.

As I said I haven't bought all this stuff yet, I'll see what the prices are like in thee new year. I'm in the middles of rebuilding (and improving) my PIT, so there's no rush at the moment.

Joe.

B747-400

Thanks Joe and Sam for sharing your system specification.

I think I will go for the GT 1080 ti next year as well. The card should be able to handle 3 full HD beamer / monitors.

Cheers
Hans
Hans G. Schuetz
http://B747-400.net

Caflyt

Ed,
Yes it is just like any SSD only faster.
I put one in my new rig for the main Windows 10 OS drive.
Boots up before I can blink three times.

Thinking of adding a larger capacity M.2 for ORBX scenery and such in the future.

Craig

Ed

Quote from: Caflyt on December 20, 2017, 03:01:48 PM
Ed,
Yes it is just like any SSD only faster.
I put one in my new rig for the main Windows 10 OS drive.
Boots up before I can blink three times.

Thinking of adding a larger capacity M.2 for ORBX scenery and such in the future.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

I've had my eye on one for awhile now but heard of issues using NVME models as boot  drives. Good to know they work well.

Thanks,
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Sam Llorca

Hi Ed,

Yes you can and is fast!

I use M.2 for the OS and a regular sata SSD for the other programs.

Ridgenj

This has been discussed  somewhere else but I still don't have a conclusive strategy.
Win 10 bloadware can be killed and is describe somewhere else.
I am looking to move to Asus Rog Strix Z370  for my mainframe and I have already a Samsung 960 Evo 512g M2 and a 2 TB
Firecuda. My current VGA is a Rog Strix 1080ti and 3 x Strix 1070 for the IGC.
Half of the experts claim that P3D4 should be on an SSD while the rest settle for fast high capacity HDD's.
Not familiar with proSim320 but does it has to coexist in the same PC as P3D4? Can I assume that ProSim737v2 will follow a similar pattern?
Depending on how version 2 is implemented this might change PC specs and budgets.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Luis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed

Quote from: Sam Llorca on December 21, 2017, 05:19:12 AM
Hi Ed,

Yes you can and is fast!

I use M.2 for the OS and a regular sata SSD for the other programs.

Thanks Sam.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate