Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:31:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
497 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 392
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 497
Total: 497

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Quietly in the background

Started by phil744, June 26, 2010, 06:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil744

Afternoon chaps, just thought I would show you one of the things im quietly working on in the background and break up the Boeings a bit with us European rivals Airbus  ;)

Literally 30 mins ago I put the 1st A320 overhead together, not yet complete as ive got the centre row of PCB's to make and others but it's the first run of 3 sets im doing for various people, and so far im quite chuffed with the result, still room for improvement but that will come over time, but for now ive got a nice evening soldering ahead of me.

Will update the pics once I get the centre row illuminated, but only if it comes out okay, its difficult to illuminate something that should be green with amber LED's, sounds daft I know but there ya go  :idiot:

Enjoy the pics and feel free to comment/take the piss  :idiot:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

XOrionFE

OMG Phil,

Your work is breathtaking.    I am sure the 3 folks getting these are licking their chops.   Absolutely stunning......as usual!

Scott

matta757

Phil,

Your work is quite impressive. This makes me all that more excited for Simvionics to return!

Matt

ivar hestnes

Boeing Skunk Works

I love the yellow backlighting! Really cool.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

shaneb

Hey Phil,

Awesome work . .     :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Kennair

Phil, those panels are pro and that backlighting is stunning.  I'd love to know how you do it.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

phil744

Cheers guys,

For anyone who makes there own panels can understand at the best of time what a nightmare it can be, throw in panels with more than one colour and it just throws everything out, tried one method for the green/yellow panels but it didnt come out as expected, so trying using coloured acrylic machined down to various thicknesses to adjust the colour, obviously if you use white illuminatinon with an orange acrylic base the thinner the acrylic the whiter the colour, well thats the theory but i think i got the colour wrong, so just ordered some more and have another go, you know what im like  ;)

But apart from the tinted acrylic these are done exactly the same as the 330/340 panels, if u cant beat them join them ;)

And Ken, its quite simple, pack it with LED's!! this is not overkill but down to the Airbus having the button edges illuminated, normally i only put LED's where the engraving goes, but now each switch needs 4 LED's each, im good with the old soldering iron now, yes its hand done  :idiot:

Enjoy the pics :)

757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Trevor Hale

Phil,  that looks freeking awesome.  You have done some amazing things over the past few years..  You are one talented individual.

Cheers for sharing.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

727737Nut

737 Junkie

phil744

Thanks chaps.

Well, finished the 1st prototypes of the green/yellow panels and before you all moan at me im not happy with them, but its a first run of a new design, ive made some errors but the secont time round should be able to hit the nail on the head. i have to go and get some sleep ive been on an all night soldering bender once more but cant wait to see this bad boy at night, ohh and i need to nick another PSU from somwhere as mine only produces 1.5A so these below are only at 60% brightness, but for a first attempt of the baby bus not bad me thinks.

I know its only about July but we have the Christmas tree out allready :) , night chaps

dnoize

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Phil !

What a great job....

Stef

JWS

Nah ... an Airbus panel :(

Just kidding Phil, it's absolutely jaw dropping.

JWS

PS But still Airbus ;)

carlos hermida

Phil, looks incredible  !

Thanks for sharing ...

Carlos

phil744

Well, still here, but ive gone all airbus mad again, went for a spin on the A380 back from China on Saturday :)

Anyhow, these damn multicoloured panels, ive had yet another go, so so so so close now :) think ive mentioned the problem before, illuminating something thats amber next to something thats green on a clear panel is trickyusning amber and white LED's, now put a mask inside the panel to shadow the colours and stop them bleeding together, got that cracked, and the green is now a pure green, but its still a little patchy at the moment

Wot ya think?

matta757

They look absolutely STUNNING, Phil. Very nice work indeed!

Matt

shaneb

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Holy smokes is that cool looking or what?!!!

Very cutting edge work Phil.   I think it may be fun just to have one of those panels on my desk at the office all lit up :-)

Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

binto100

Quote from: phil744 on September 20, 2010, 05:25:04 AM
Well, still here, but ive gone all airbus mad again, went for a spin on the A380 back from China on Saturday :)

Anyhow, these damn multicoloured panels, ive had yet another go, so so so so close now :) think ive mentioned the problem before, illuminating something thats amber next to something thats green on a clear panel is trickyusning amber and white LED's, now put a mask inside the panel to shadow the colours and stop them bleeding together, got that cracked, and the green is now a pure green, but its still a little patchy at the moment

Wot ya think?

May I ask what type of cnc machine you use or in general what type are people using that can produce this kind of work?

phil744

Quote from: XOrionFE on September 20, 2010, 12:40:27 PM

Very cutting edge work Phil.   I think it may be fun just to have one of those panels on my desk at the office all lit up :-)

heheh cheers guys, its funny you say that cause if i ever get time i want to build a set just for me and have it mounted on my wall in the office all lit up, laid out like those schematic cockpit posters we all have, would look so cool, better than just printed pictures.

@Binto, welcome to the forum, i dont use CNC for panels, hate it with a passion, great for everything else but panels all done with different types of lasers and a lot of hands on treaking, got ur PM about types of CNC machine but there are so many out there and im no expert yet, best thing is to have a good search through the forums here, Westozzy is the best to speak to but hew on holiday at the moment, infact hes here in the UK so better lock my doors tonight :)

Boeing Skunk Works

At the very least, you'd better lock up the beer fridge.  :o

phil744

MLeavy737

Looks Great Phil!! Man those are some sweet looking panels! 

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate