Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
467 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 498
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 467
Total: 467

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Say hi to france!

Started by wax78, November 29, 2013, 12:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wax78

Hi guys,

I'd like to introduce myself to the forum since i'm pretty new here.

I'm 37, married since 2011 (2 years, waoh, how the time goes fast lol), no kids yet, and i'm a really avation enthousiast.

I've been working as an IT engineer at EMC which is a storage company based in Boston, MA. My office location is in France, where i live,  nearby Paris.

I've heard about this forum by one of you, who i know from a french forum. I'm pretty sure this guy will recognize himself...  :2cw: :idiot:

I've been flying throught FSX for 4 years now, mostly with the well-known PMDG 737.

I was hit a couple of months ago by an idea to start the build of my future b737 cockpit and i've decided to go forward with this idea.

My wife bought me 3 overhead panels from hispapanels to get started. I'm aware of the time and work needed to build this piece of a cockpit and i know that i will be face to many issues, but i'd like to hang on and create it as far as my motivation will be (and my money as well).

I assume i will receive these panels before xmas, and i will keep you updated with some pics of my project if you agree.

If yoy have somme advice/tips, feel free to let me know.

See you.
Jean Pierre

Sam Franklin

I'm new to this 'thing' as well, it's nice to meet somebody else that is as well!

Tips I've learnt:
- Research things (particularly applies if you're creating things) it saves so much time and so many errors. I've spent about 6 months researching and I built some very basic prototypes to test things like my arduino card but after 6 months (3 registered here) I've only just started building the very basic pieces of my throttle quadrant.
- Measure twice, cut once. (self explanatory)
- The silly question is the one you don't ask (leads on to next point)
- Ask people! The people on this forum have a mass of knowledge and there are sim builders from Trevor with his full-scale 737 Cockpit to other builders (like myself) who are just making parts of a 737 cockpit to other builders making General Aviation cockpits to others who are making a cessna 172. Usually somebody will have the answer/dimensions or know somebody that does and if they don't they'll suggest good places to go.
- Don't jump into buying anything (even small parts). This links to the research thing, a lot of small things adds up so just make sure you want what you order (before you order it).

Anyway, others might disagree but that's what I've learnt.

Good luck and see you in the virtual skies :P

Sam

jackpilot

Jack

wax78

Nice to see you here jack.

Thank you sam.

I really appreciate your advices, but i forgot to mention that i have researched a lot of stuff regarding the overhead.

I'll my time to build it. I will first keep focus on the panels i will receive and so on.

If any of you have sole infos about this process, please let me know.

JP

bernard S

"space and money"  plus more "money"  did I mention more money ...are the key items...set yourself a budget and do best to stick with it... make sure wife is on board with you.. and define your objective from the start... what is it you want to achieve do you want to punch holes in the sky or do you want a full blown deck fully functional...are you going to happy hand flying  or do you want all the bells and whistles ... try to be realistic in what your objectives are because those objectives equal money

Next define your skill set against what you need i.e Is it easier and faster to get plug and play items (if there is such a thing) or do I want to do the wiring etc etc myself ?   how am I going to move my flight deck if I move? how am I going to power it? etc etc ... when buying items be prepared to wait and then wait some more. do not purchase anything until you have researched it twice.. and above all

Build so you can always fly !!!!! 

my suggestion get a turnkey solution at least for the MIP ( Main Instrument Panel)

There are people here far better qualified to comment than I but welcome to the world of crazy

jackpilot

My 2ยข
Jean-Pierre has been simming for a good while , did his research and concentrates on building an overhead. Sharing experience on Overhead building (wood frame vs aluminum vs ready made frames, wiring, hardware, cards) would help him tremendously.
Jack

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate