Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:46:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
474 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 498
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 474
Total: 474

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Newcomer - input please

Started by Elliot, January 06, 2014, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elliot

Hello All -

Stumbled upon this site researching flying lessons which led to flight sim programs which led me to a YouTube video of a guy building a 737 cockpit and at the end of the video he recommended this site. 

First, I am in total awe of the projects you are doing -  had no idea there was this kind of incredible build work going on so I don't know enough to even qualify as a "newbie" let alone the questions to ask. 

That said, how do I best get started?  I am probably a long way away from undertaking such a build project so maybe I need to first purchase FS software and basic hardware? 

Thanks in advance - any input would be appreciated!

Elliot

Sam Franklin

Great to see somebody new, I stumbled across this just like you. From what I've learnt this is what I would recommend:

1 - Buy a flight simulator of your choice - FS9/FSX/X-Plane/Prepard3D
2 - Play your flight simulator using your keyboard or buy a £15 joystick and get a passion for flying. You'll end up finding a type of aircraft that you enjoy flying, this could be a propellor plane like a Cessna 172 or a jumbo jet 747 or a super jet A380! Whatever it is after a while of playing the game you'll find an aircraft you adore.
3 - Keep playing the game but start learning more about your aircraft, the specifics of the aircraft and its systems.
4 - If you still think you want to build a cockpit, start with RESEARCH! Research will save you a lot of time and trouble.
5 - Your research will tell you how to start building :)

hexpope

Sam has it in a nut shell, first find your aircraft that you like flying and are very interested in learning about. Although picking a simulator platform is going to be a finicky thing.

FS9 (Microsoft Flight simulator 2004) I don't think this would be a good option, but that my  :2cw:

X-Plane 10 32 & 64bit is fully supported by the developers and will continue to be for the next few years+ and has a massive community. (You can download a demo from their website to try before you buy!!)

FSX SP2 Microsoft has closed it's doors on all updates and support and closed the aces studio. So no further development from Microsoft.

Prepar3D V2 (Lockheed Martin) bought the ESP from Microsoft and now manage this platform with full support, updates of the ESP Engine and will continue to do so. It only uses DX11, no direct X back compatibility with earlier versions of DX, so if you do go the P3D V2 route, make sure your Graphics card can support it.

I just migrated to Prepard3D as my cockpit and avionics company fully support it and most of the FSX aircraft, scenery, FSUIPC etc all support it.

At the end of the day it's up to you which platform to try or use. Best of luck with your new venture ! It's a hobby that really grips you into a new world of many area's depending on how far you want to go regarding ready made parts and kits, or designing and building from complete scratch.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate