Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
494 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 498
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 494
Total: 494

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A new guy from the North

Started by TheNorthernAlex, January 14, 2014, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorthernAlex

Hello everybody,
My Name is Alex I am a 34 year old father of four and aviation fanatic since my dad bought me a photo album full of Aviation pictures when I was 5. I was as a Sgt. in Army Aviation there on a Sikorsky CH53

I have about 4000 hrs on MSFS starting all the way back with 3.1, so I like to think I know about the Hobby, I liek tinkering with electronics, circuit boards and all these kind of things and I finally convinced my wife to let me start working on a long had dream of mine. A full size 737NG Cockpit.

I know it will takes many years and lots of hours and thousands of Dollars and days where you want to burn the thing, but I just got done this summer building my Wife a kitchen from scratch starting out with nothing more than 4'x8'x 3/4" sheets of oak, so I'd like to think I can handle that too.

I joined this community because I hope to get some pointers but also to bring the limited knowledge and experience in woodwork and electronics/programing that I have to the table.

So now I don't know what to say anymore, so I close here and hope you all have a great day.

Alex

-Everything worth doing, is worth doing right-

archen

Welcome to cockpitbuilders! Good choice and nice you introduced yourself.

Do much research is my first tip for you, will save you time and money.

Keep posting updates on your progress. This forum loves pictures :)

Take care and good luck with your project!

Looking forward to your updates.

Anders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

jackpilot

Wecome aboard Alex.
Glad to see another Canadian joining the crew.
You may have some good help not "too" far.
(Gary will probaly chime in)

;)

Jack

Jack

Garys

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Great choice of aircraft. Look fwd to seeing your progress. Quite a few builders in Alberta now so  if your ever in the Calgary area you should contact Dave, Greg or myself. Im building a 747 and both Dave and Greg are building the 737 . If you need any help feel free to PM.

Cheers
Gary

DaveC

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the crew!  Good luck with your project.  You can probably find an answer to any question on this forum.  Like Gary said, if you are ever in YYC, feel free to stop by and check out my 737 sim. FYI, Gary is an encyclopedia on the 737.

Dave C.

TheNorthernAlex

Amazing, I had no Idea that there are other people with the same disease in AB  :D and Careful what you wish for, I work for a Oil Company so I am every now and again in CCY I might take you guys up on that offer.

It's going to be a long road till I have anything to show for tho, I am just in the beginning of the planning phase. But when I have questions, I now know where to turn to and that is amazing.

Thank you again for the warm welcome!

Trevor Hale

There are a few of us Canuks here...  Welcome to the forum. You will be surprised how your carpentry skills will help you with the build.

Glad to have you here.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Mink

Hello and welcome to the madness of cockpit building ;D

Do not be afraid to ask, and never ever get a thought like " this is impossible".
With the help from the guys here in this forum you will be able to fullfill your dream.

And who build a kitchen from the scratch, this man can also build a 737 ;)

Kresimir

TheNorthernAlex

Quote from: Mink on January 17, 2014, 10:10:08 PM
Hello and welcome to the madness of cockpit building ;D

Do not be afraid to ask, and never ever get a thought like " this is impossible".
With the help from the guys here in this forum you will be able to fullfill your dream.

And who build a kitchen from the scratch, this man can also build a 737 ;)

Kresimir

Thank you Kresimir, I sure hope that all the knowledge about working precisely helps with the build. I am gathering all kind of measurements at the moment and now I am asking myself should I really try to build a wooden Shell. I mean I love the shape of them but the FDS Aluminum Flightdeck seems so much easier to build; at the same time, and that might be crazy, I do care about the outer appearance just as much as I care about the inner appearance and let's be honest, The FDS one looks more like a oversized F117 from the outside.

So I am kinda at the first crossroads of many I would assume.

P.S. I was stationed at ETHM

jackpilot

:2cw:
The shell is probably the most difficult part to build.
1)It is a 3D contraption where every minute error on dimension or angle compounds into nightmares.
2)Then it has to be extremely sturdy to support the OVH (real heavy!)
3) A wood structure, once installed, cant be moved or removed from where it is without being damaged.
4) the outside appearance vs the accuracy of the inside volume is a no issue, even at CAE!
5) if you want to fly your sim sooner than later you can shave many month off your construction time with a ready made shell.

;D

Jack

Jack

TheNorthernAlex

That is a very good point, I'd rather have the Sim up sooner then later.

jackpilot

..plus the fact that the "F117" shape makes you invisible and undetectable on the "honey-do" screen..   :D

Jack

DaveC

Forget what the outside of the cockpit looks like.  After you wrap it in a visual system, you won't be seeing it anyway.  If you really wanted the outside to look real, go for a real cockpit nose section.  There are some really nice ones with lots of goodies still inside for about $5k, the problem is the $25k trucking bill to deliver to Alberta.  The FDS nose section is the best value for a number of reasons.  Looks pretty cool when your up close as well.

I also work in the oil patch, so next time you are in Calgary, send me a PM and stop by.  My sim is in the back shop at my business, so anytime is good.  I'm right on Deerfoot trail adjacent to the airport, so easy to get to.

Good luck.

Dave C.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate