Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
499 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 491
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 499
Total: 499

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New here, but longtime cockpit builder!

Started by CessPoole, April 16, 2014, 09:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CessPoole

Hello everyone!  I started flying in 1972 in the Marines in the backseat of the RF-4B Phantom II as a Sergeant then in the right seat of the EA-6A Electric Intruder.  In 1978 I joined the Reserves and went to work in a corporate aviation repair company called AiResearch (later Allied-Signal, Garrett Aviation, GE, then StandardAero) in my hometown of Augusta, Georgia.  Part of my job as an autopilot tech was test flying and adjusting the systems.  When I stopped counting, I had over 1500 hours flying time kneeling between the pilots. I ran the Avionics Mod Shop and became the final check on the engineer's plans for all installations.  In 2005, I decided to build a simulator cockpit in the spare bedroom.
After over 30 years of crawling under instrument panels, I knew that I wanted to be able to wire and work behind the panel without having to bend in all three dimensions at once!  My solutions is a cockpit with a one-piece removable skin built from a section of sailboat hull.  Everything fits through a standard door and down a hallway.  The room is dedicated as a sim, but has a pull-down wall-bed for use as a guest room.
My cockpit is a generic fighter/attack cockpit with a mix of panels from corporate and military aircraft.  Prized pieces of "Unobtainium" include the missile warning panel from an Israeli F4 and the diagnostic panel from an F15.  The instrument panels are modified from Mitsubishi MU-2 panels.  The seat is a Martin-Baker H7 mockup built around an MU-2 cockpit seat on rails which make boarding a snap. (No crawling over the cockpit rails!)  The observer/instructor seat is a flight attendant's station liberated from a Northwestern DC-10.
Displays are handled with a single, large LED screen and Track IR.  controls are currently Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS, but the Saitek X-55 is going in.  Sound is Bose with a low-frequency transducer Buttkicker strapped to the seat bottom.  Cockpit cooling is ducted to two "gasper" vents fed by tubing and an unused CPAP breathing machine sucking cold air from an A/C duct.
I'm on my third iteration of computers and hate it when I'm forced to upgrade (usually by hard drive failures).
According to the Hobbs gauge, I've spent over a thousand hours flying the sim and have found it very useful when studying a flight or procedure for my real-world flying.
I'll post pics later.
PS the callsign of CessPoole was given to me when I started flying and now I'm kinda proud of it!

Caflyt

Welcome to the asylum cesspoole!
You'll find lots of great like-minded folks here ready to share tips, advice and experience.
You'll fit right in!

jackpilot

Welcome aboard.
You are another living proof of the uncurable nature of the Icarus syndrome !
Eager to see pics.
Jack
:D

Jack

dc8flightdeck

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate