Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
134 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

PC's for Sim Questions

Started by jskibo, September 04, 2010, 09:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

Starting to think more of my build beyond the scattered pieces in my office.

To date I have a CPFlight MCP / EFIS / Transponder as well a a Rev Sim TQ.  I just ordered the FDS MIP / CDU Base / Glareshield.  Now with the impending MIP build I'm starting to think what it is I will need beyond my main PC.  I'm trying to get away with 2 PC's if I can for now using one of the Avionics packages other than Project Magenta.

What I have now for a main PC running FSX is a i920 @ 3.8GHz, 12GB of memory, Dual GTX275's, Raided 64GB SSD for the win7 64bit and assorted Hard drives.  I would like to keep most of this machine for the main FSX program, though I would likely pull a GTX275 to use in another machine (seeing how its doing me no extra good at the moment)

What I thought is I could run the Projectors through my TH2G and FSX off of this, then the EIACS / standby guages off the second display output.

Then PC #2 would handle the Avionics server.  It's outputs would be Pilot displays and F/O displays off the main video card (the other GTX275) and grab a PCI Video card (8800?) to drive the CDU (either TV out for OC one, or VGA for FDS one).  I wonder if I can offload REX2.0 to this machine as well?

So if I go that route:

Would it work?

Then further what specs would I shoot for for this machine?  Dual or Quad core?  4GB enough? Planned on grabbing a couple SSD's for another 128GB RAID since this box would only have Windows + Avionics Software + WideClient and maybe something like REX.  COuld I get away with an older Dual core refurb cheapy box?

What do you think?
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate