Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
345 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 492
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

...and the MIP goes in!

Started by matta757, September 17, 2010, 03:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey all,

Thought I would share some PRELIMINARY pictures of my 757 MIP... it is by no means complete, I have buttons and switches to add. But this gives a good general idea of what it will look like. Lit up by 2 19" monitors running off my brand new second video card.

Also pictured is my wonderful ACE 757 yoke. Man what a joy it is flying with it. It clearly becomes the focus of all the pictures once you get a glimpse of it!

I am pretty happy with the results. The one problem with using the monitors is that they are not flush with the back of the MFD panel, simply because each monitor has a little bit of depth around the edge with the plastic casing... does anyone know if this plastic frame can be removed without impeding the monitor usage? That way I would be able to have it completely flush with the panel and not have to worry about the little 1/4 inch gap, which makes for slight viewing problems from different angles.

Anyways, feedback, questions and/or suggestions are always welcome!

Regards,
Matt

Bob Reed

shaneb

Hey Matt,

Here is a photo of monitors after the frames are removed that we are using in the Lear 45 MIP.   Take your time removing the frame, check well for hidden screws.  Also removing the frames may void any warranty . . I'm using used monitors so it did not matter.   

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

when acting as a wave

Hi Matt

Yes, we too have removed the plastic casings from our monitors to get them flush.

The first photograph shows one of them temporarily fitted in place (or rather precariously balanced!) and the second one shows a small mounting plate that we fitted to the rear, which allows us to still reach the monitor's original controls (contrast etc.) if and when we need to; the cables inside were (just) long enough for us to take the small PCB from the front to the back.

Dean.
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

shaneb

Thanks Dean . . I could not find a photo of my MIP from the back.   We have mounted our controls toward the bottom of the screens.  Due to the way the Lear MIP is designed we can reach under the MIP to reach the adjustments.   

Matt, this should give you some ideas.      :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Efe

That looks nice. I look forward to seeing the completed version as well.

matta757

Hey guys,

Took the monitors out of their casings today, and it was a snap, literally! Just four screws in the back and a snap on trim in the front and it was all taken care of. Remade the monitor frame holder for the captain's instruments this evening and reinstalled it and the instruments look great! It is amazing what a different it makes having the LCD flat against the panel. Will be reinstalling the EICAS monitor after redoing its frame tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing this thing come together. Now just waiting on my clutches to arrive for my TQ and things are getting closer and closer to being somewhat finished! But as we all know too well, builders NEVER stop building!

Thanks for the advice,
Matt

Bob Reed

Pictures man Pictures!!!!!! LOL  :idiot:

phil744

Bloody hell man you dont mess about :), i dont think i can say anything more to the screens apart from echo what the guys here have said.

The 767 is a pain cause u have lightplates and pushbuttons/toggles switches directly over where the screens goes and you have no room behind.

Top job keep it up :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

matta757

Quote from: phil744 on September 20, 2010, 05:36:23 AM
Bloody hell man you dont mess about :), i dont think i can say anything more to the screens apart from echo what the guys here have said.

The 767 is a pain cause u have lightplates and pushbuttons/toggles switches directly over where the screens goes and you have no room behind.

Top job keep it up :)

Thanks Phil, and yes it is a GREAT pain because of those switches! Luckily the rotaries I have purchased to use for things like the altimeter adjustment and stuff are pretty small and will play well with the 1/4in MFD board. Plus I plan on using a 1/8inch piece to create the slightly elevated look of the instruments off the main panel so that should also bode in my favor.

Will continue to update with pictures as it becomes relevant!

Matt

XOrionFE

Looks great Matt!

Nice to have another plane represented here and I look forward to seeing more pictures of your progress!

Scott

matta757

Quote from: XOrionFE on September 20, 2010, 08:03:03 AM
Looks great Matt!

Nice to have another plane represented here and I look forward to seeing more pictures of your progress!

Scott

Funny Scott... I was just doing some cuts on the scroll saw and all the while I was thinking about how there really isn't any other 757 or even very many 767's on this forum, so I just added some pressure on myself to do a knock out job and represent!

Matt

binto100

Quote from: shaneb on September 17, 2010, 06:49:06 PM
Hey Matt,

Here is a photo of monitors after the frames are removed that we are using in the Lear 45 MIP.   Take your time removing the frame, check well for hidden screws.  Also removing the frames may void any warranty . . I'm using used monitors so it did not matter.   

Hi all.  May I ask what brand of monitors you are using in the pics and what you have to be careful about?  I've been planning to disassemble a couple monitors but my electrical skills are nil and I was afraid I'd set myself up for an electrical shock once I got them apart.  Thanks.  Bruce

shaneb

Hi Bruce,

I do not think you will have any issues as far as an electrical shock as the components are still enclosed within the metal case after you remove the plastic  (at least the ones that I have taken apart)  Most monitor frames have a couple of screws that need to be removed and the front plastic surround usually snaps in place.  The middle monitor is a  Acer X163WB 15.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor that I purchased at Wal-Mart.  I cannot remember what the outer monitors are, I know they are 15" monitors. I had to go with specific monitors due to the space behind the Lear MIP . . . the outer ones I used are getting hard to find.      You could use any monitor as long as it fits behind your MIP . . take into consideration where other hardware such as switches, panels may mount to make sure the monitors won't interfere with other aspects of your build.

binto100

Quote from: shaneb on September 20, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
Hi Bruce,

I do not think you will have any issues as far as an electrical shock as the components are still enclosed within the metal case after you remove the plastic  (at least the ones that I have taken apart)...

Thanks Shane!

By the way, here is a picture of an offset u-joint I designed and had made at a Seattle machine shop; it will be used in the center column of a 3dof platform I am making for my sim.

jackpilot

Edit your post, click on Additional options
"Attach" ...click on browse and click on your pic somewhere in your PC

Hey that does it!
;)  :)

Jack

matta757

Bruce,

I am using 2 19" Dell 1907FPc monitors. Like Shane said, there were four screws on the back to come out, then snap off the front black framing and the monitor comes right out. Finally, I had to remove the TINY screws holding the buttons chip in place. And as mentioned, they are still self contained so no worry about shock.

Hope that helps,
Matt

binto100

Quote from: matta757 on September 20, 2010, 04:28:33 PM
Bruce,

I am using 2 19" Dell 1907FPc monitors. Like Shane said, there were four screws on the back to come out, then snap off the front black framing and the monitor comes right out. Finally, I had to remove the TINY screws holding the buttons chip in place. And as mentioned, they are still self contained so no worry about shock.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Thanks Matt.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on "de-framing" monitors as it's been on the long list of things to figure out.  I'm loosely basing my setup on a Lear 45 (with a single seat) but my current focus is building a 3dof platform.

matta757

Just wanted to post some updated pictures. I have finished making all the cuts for all the gauges that will be displayed. I have also started adding frames around the gauages to make them look more like the real counterparts (it's kind of hard to see this in the pictures, sorry!). You can also see the throttle levers coming together, pictures of those to follow!

Enjoy.

Matt
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/matta757/757%20Simulator/DSC_6463.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/matta757/757%20Simulator/DSC_6483.jpg

jackpilot

Very Nice Matt
Coming along and apparently flyable while you build..good.

Tell me what the diameter of your round gauges is, I might have some unused bezels collecting dust...!
Jack

Jack

727737Nut

737 Junkie

Flyboyandre

carlos hermida

Looking great and no words for your ACE yoke ! I love the B757/767...keep sharing !

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate