Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 05:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
557 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 557
Total: 557

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Sean's 737NG Project - UK

Started by Sean, January 30, 2011, 11:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Like others here, I thought it might be a good idea to use this thread to document the progress of my home cockpit project.

After a visit to Ralphs (Speedbird17) sim last November, seeing his beautiful FDS aluminium shell and interior liner kit (amonst other things), I immediately knew this was the best way of taking my own project forward. I had tinkered around with planks of wood and sheets of MDF (even thought of building the old style FDS wooden shell!), but was never happy with the results.

So during the Christmas holiday I drove to Heathrow to collect my FDS package that was waiting there for me. Here's a pic of the first build...

jackpilot

Actually it looks better in alu color than painted black.
Unfortunately I think black is mandatory as it absorbs reflection from the visual.
Real nice and exciting!

Jack

jetpilot

symbade

waooo, sooo nice ,congratuations

shaneb

Sure looks nice sitting there!  Looking forward to seeing your build progress, always fun watching the progress. . .    :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

MLeavy737

Looks Great! I like the nice clean lines on that thing.  I think Jack is right on the painted black. That MIP is gonna look sweet in that thing.

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

ian@737ng.co.uk

cap'n nixon, good day sir........
now then that's real nice, well pleased for you.
keep the photo's coming and hope to catch up with you soon.
rgds

ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

bussgarfield

Thats looks good Sean.

Looking at the pallet it is sitting on can we assume it came ready built or have you put it together.

Look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

jackpilot

Shipping cost would be astronomical!
It comes in parts that have to be bolted together. Very clever design.
Other advantage: you do not have to rip open your house to get it in or out. Parts go through a door or even a small window!

Jack

Sean

Quote from: bussgarfield on January 31, 2011, 03:06:17 AM
Looking at the pallet it is sitting on...

...this really emphasises why I went with the FDS shell. That sorry attempt you call a pallet is my custom built base!  :D

As Jack points out, it comes in kit form (in a huge box - wish I'd taken a photo of the back of my van once I'd opened the box and emptied the contents onto a West London street before cramming it into the van).

In this photo you can see the first piece installed and the other parts lying around waiting...

jskibo

For the record, I like your "pallet" :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

XOrionFE

Very Nice Sean

Cant wait to see you bring it to life!

Scott

Sean

Thanks guys.

Well, after scaring the cr@p out of me regards the visuals, I can safely say that provided the projected image doesn't clip the shell before it reaches the screen, there is no adverse effect on the projected image.

When I first offered the projector up to it's mounting bracket (with it switched on), there were reflections bouncing everywhere. Once the projector was properly mounted so that none of the image clipped the shell, the image was as good as I percieved it to be before I had the shell.

What the little experiment did tell me though, something I had a feeling would be the case since playing around previously with sheets of MDF, is that if you use a shell, you really need ultra-short throw projectors. Mine are just short throw.

When I sit in the pit, the front view is perfect, but if I'm sitting in the left hand seat and look left, I can see the bottom of the image and loads of white screen below it. Looking right isn't so bad, from the left hand seat, but obviously the situation is reversed for the First Officer. It's something I'll live with in the short term, but I'll need to be upgrading the projectors at some point to be happy.

Sean

jskibo

I was afraid of that.  My short throws at .71, so I guess if I go with the shell I might have to sell them and grab some .50ish ones....

Grrrrrrr

jackpilot

I still think that the alu shell panels may bounce light FROM the screen, back on the screen and around the sim and create some loss of contrast.
I may be wrong too as my shell (unpainted too) is still in the huge box!!!   :D
Anyway not hard to prime and paint with a few cans.

Jack

Sean

Yeah, painting is always an option, and I did consider your comments about loss of contract, but I really couldn't notice any difference in my sim room, which has no natural daylight. I had the test card built into my projectors displaying and everything look great. Apart from I need shorter throw projectors!  :o

Sean

I made a short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAnspegx1E

EDIT: it wont embed!

XOrionFE

I love how you suddenly dissappear!

Nice video showing how the shell goes together.

Scott

jskibo

Wow, Peter never mentioned the self install option.  I see it puts itself together rather quickly
:)

MLeavy737

Nice video, that was cool!

Mike Leav
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Sean

A quick update. Was anxious to see how well the Engravity overhead fitted into the FDS shell. Like a glove.

I've been reading this old thread, coz it's my turn now. Thanks Trev!...

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=21.msg31;topicseen#msg31

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate