Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
573 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 573
Total: 573

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 flying.. Step by Step. (My way)

Started by MLeavy737, February 24, 2011, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hello all,
  In some earlier posts i made some comments that builders IMO should try to focus a little
more on procedures and flying technique other than being over concerned about details that
usually  no one will ever notice. I recieved a few emails lately from builders asking how in
fact they could do that. One of them was concerning the initial setup and overall flow of
things from the time you show up for work until through FL 180.  I figured i would post it
here so anyone who wants to know can hopefully get something from this.  Dont have checklists
in front of me here but ill do my best.  This is how I do it and it works for me :)
feel free to ask any questions.. Ill run through it quick from memory here..

1) get to work.. This is usually the hardest part!! lol
2) Things start when I walk up to the gate and usually see the airplane outside the windows..
Take a look and see if anything seems out of the ordinary.. Mostly concerned with Maintenance
and were they may be on or around the airplane.. I wont touch anything in the airplane until i
know what their working on
3)  As i walk on the airplane i usually meet a few flight attendants, quick hello and name
exchange then im headed for the flightdeck
4) First thing is to find the logbook. Make sure a) its there b) its the right one c) no open
writeups which would cause me to break something by moving switches in the cockpit or hurt
someone outside the airpane if its being worked on.
5)  Check the gear pins and emergency equipment while im still standing there before i sit.
including CB's
6) Sit in m seat [FO]
7)  heres a memory aid for the next step called (Lets Be Happy Go Regular)....   Logbook,
Battery check , Hydraulics pumps OFF, Gear DN, Radar OFF..
8) establish electrical... this means getting ground power ON or starting APU.. Do a fire
warning check before startig APU if there is no ground power available.  (after this turn on
galley power, arm E.exit lights and turn on position lights including logo lighs if night
time.
9) establish air.. its usually on but if not coordinate it.  air usually comes from gate..
make sure packs OFF an APU bleed OFF for ground air.
10) initialize ACARS, while im there i get departure ATIS and destination WX.
11) Start flow checks with aft overhead.. stalls etc.. turn on IRS to NAV..
12) back to FMC and enter position airport, bring over gps position from next page and insert
into FMC pos prompt.
13) Set brakes, turn on fuel pumps (center stays off with none in cockpit), HYD pumps on
(check pressure on MIP and lights go out on overhead), wheel well light ON
14) Go outsode and preflight.
15) back inside, ge in seat and turn OFF weel well light.
16) continue flow checks at overhead center.. work down each section or column. things like
(seatbelt sw off, circ fan sw. normal, window heat ON, check test pitot heat, ignition switch
pos etc. (first flight of day it starts on the RH side, switch to opposide side for each
flight after)
17)  flow MCP.. FD swtch to whoever is flying.. (during this flow i dont set anything yet..
like altitudes, heading etc)
18) flow MIP..  light sw tests, oil qty, brakes to RTO, test Ground Prox.
19) flow throttes... Trim cutout check, speedbrakes down, config test by bringing up a power
lever etc.
20  flow center pedestal.. Fire checks, trim checks, wx tests etc. at this point i test the O2
(this tests the mic mask nd make sure the lines are not shutoff.. basically hold mask test for
5 sec and look at O2 gauge for no large drops)
21) Thats basically it for flows, checks, tests..  by now the capt is usually there has
briefed the FA's and is workng his was up to the cockpit.. quick hello how are ya and he hands
me the paperwork.. from that i grab the flight plan info and start working on the setup..
22) Start with the FMC.. enter flight info.. NG's are automatic.. the route and airports are
sent by ACARS.. you just press LOAD.. the route is now loaded.. select dep RY and select a DEP
procedure. double check route based on flightplan. Enter an arrival incuding crossing
restrictions and landing RY guess (from WX you printed earlier)  basially the more acurate you
are now the more accurate your arrval time will be when you takeoff and you wont have to mess
with anything later
23) enter PERF info.. fuel reserves, cost index, cruise alt ( reach up and set that in PRESS
controller now), cruise winds / temp.. next page enter OAT temp for reduced thrust..you dont
have ACCULOAD or vSpeed info yet..Head over to DES page to enter descent winds (or request
them in NG's) basically just follow natural flow of the FMC pages to enter all the info.. At
this point all FMC work should be done.
24)Take out charts and plug in earpiece
25) By not the PDC has been sitting on the printer.. thats sent about 30 min before departue.
Take that and double check route matches with what you have in FMC make changes if necessary..
enter squawk, put dep freq in num 3 radio stby. enter initial alt in MCP alt window.
26) setup what i call the flying part now.. start with DEP procudure, look it over and put in
NAV freqs from chart, set initial courses in course window, put RY heading or a heading
required on DEP proc for the runway your using. while your there zero out MCP speed window
until PERF data is loaded with vspeeds.
27) Enter freqs in radios (#2 usually gets Ramp and OPS) (#1 gets ground and tower)
28) enter any fixes and engine out circles on FIX page that may help with engine out
procedures.. ie. draw a 4 mile circle if you need to fly to 4 miles then turn on an engine out
procedure etc.
29) Thats pretty much it.. airplane should be now all set.. everything loaded and entered in
every window just waiting for PERF data to be uploaded to FMC in NG's or sent to the printer
in the 737-500's.. NG's load vSpeeds on FMC automatically.. you need to set MCP speed however
30) at this point you and capt go through brief.. standard card we have to work through.. talk
about wx, notams, MEL's, dep proc, engine out proc, etc.
31) everyone loaded on, gate agent comes up and asks if were ready.. (we make sure we have a
fuel slip, logbook, accuload, and PDC) (FLAP for short)
32) around now when everyone is on capt will give the usual PA welcoming etc.
33) closed up we do a receiving a/c checklist.. checks overall things (windows, door lights,
pumps, IRS, HYD.. etc..
34) by now ground crews on the radio calling (all doors and access panels secure, standing by
to push)
35) before pushback checklist is now run..flowed. then read.
36) when complete  i call ramp for pushback
37) engines are started while being pushed back.. coordinated with ground crew of course..
38) after engine(s) started, say thanks to ground crew, they disconnect.. capt call for After
start checklist.. flowed then read
39)call ready to taxi.. taxi out to RY.. FA's are running their pax emergency video.
40) looks like your gonna go.. capt call for Before Takeoff Checklist.. there is NO taxi
check. flow it the read it. (FO reads and responds.. NO capt response) part of flow is the "FA
please be seated for departure" announcement..
41) taking RY, wing and strobes ON, capt turns on landing lights.. EFIS map goes to lowest and
scale and RY is verified with all headings on instruments.
42) cleared for takeoff.. power up to 40% check both engines stabalized.. advance to 70% and
hit TOGA.. Flying pilot calls "Check Power" NFP verifies takeoff power compared to FMC
computed takeoff power..  100 kts call... v1, rotate.." 400' (HDG or LNAV).. 1000' (VNAV or
LVL change set top bug) Flaps 1.. within 2o kts of flaps up speed and increasing call FLAPS UP
after takeoff checklist..
43) throught 10000' ding the seatbelt horn and turn off steril light..
44) through FL180 call.. either calls, "Transitions alt. 29.92 inches set) Landing lights go
OFF, WING and LOGO lights off as well..

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

blueskydriver

Mike,

Thank you for this detailed explanation of the procedures you follow. It is a much needed verification to how we fly the sim... Our question is this: In the past you mentioned the de-icing portion of the flight, so where does this fit into your procedures list? Please list it as you've done thus far and would you please include the process based on de-icing at the gate or at a de-icing pad/station.

Thank you so much,

blueskydrivers
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

dharrison

Mike,

Great stuff!!!! Would you be able to provide copies of your checklists?

Don

carlos hermida

Thanks Mike to share with us this real flight procedures !  It is always a pleasure to read them and very instructive too !

Thank again !

MLeavy737

Quote from: dharrison on February 24, 2011, 05:19:06 PM
Mike,

Great stuff!!!! Would you be able to provide copies of your checklists?

Don

Cant do that unfortunately because of copyright laws however i always hear talk of different manuals online somehwere.. Im pretty sure there is a CAL one out there from what i remember.

Mike Leavy

MLeavy737

Quote from: blueskydriver on February 24, 2011, 05:11:50 PM
Mike,

Thank you for this detailed explanation of the procedures you follow. It is a much needed verification to how we fly the sim... Our question is this: In the past you mentioned the de-icing portion of the flight, so where does this fit into your procedures list? Please list it as you've done thus far and would you please include the process based on de-icing at the gate or at a de-icing pad/station.

Thank you so much,

blueskydrivers

theres not much to deicing really. 
1) once you determine that you will need it  (during preflight or so) I start by looking at a Jepp page that we have that lists the procedures to follow for a particular airport and basically follow the directions :)
2) This procudure will also be discussed and reviewed in the CAPT/FO briefing i mentioned earlier.
3) usually sometime before taxi ill run the trim full nose down with yoke trim, then grab the handle and go until it stops. trim needs to be full nose down for deicing procedure/checklist.. takes a little time so its better to do it now than have everyone waiting in de-ice pad while you do it.
4) everything else is normal except you keep the Flaps up and taxi to the deice pad instead of the runway.
5)at pad usually you switch to the frequency of the truck doing the spraying. They give you a quick hello and ask if your configured and ready..
6) run the de-ice checklist (has you turn packs and bleed air switches off and run trim full forward etc.)
7) sit back and wait as planne is sprayed.
8) when done truck comes back on radio. they give you type fluid and mixtures, times started and ended and employee number.
9) complete the de-ice checklist (cycle yoke 3x full fwd and aft, reconfigure bleeds and flaps etc)
10) get taxi clearance from ground and head to runway..
11) important part is to monitor your holdover times based on the type precip and flud used.. thats determined from a holdover time chart in th a/c.
12) If you can takeoff within your holdover time your ok, otherwise you either go back and get de-iced again or you have to do a pre-takeoff contimination check.. basically check the wings yourself.
13) all other checklists are the same

hope that helps a little.. ohh and to answer your question about gate or pad de-icing.. thats all determied by the airport ops.. they tell you where its gonna happen.

Mike Leavy

CeeGee

Great stuff Mike and thanks for sharing it with us. Nothing like the real sharp end view. You might enjoy this, my Dad was a training Capt on 707's when this happened.........
http://dan-air.org/airtales.html

Thanks again, that must have taken you some time. Charlie.
First Jet Airliner flies again

Maurice

Thanks Mike for taking the time to post this very useful info. It's always great to get input & hints from someone in the front seat of a real airplane, in other words, someone who really knows what they are talking about.  :D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

choffmann

Thank you very much, Mike!  :)
Just a few questions:
What is PDC?
Where is the sterile cockpit light switch, and where is the light (I think there are 737 NG versions without it)? Is there also a light in the cabin indicating for the FAs? (somewhere I heard, the sterile cockpit phases is from taxi to 10,000 ft and from 10,000 ft to gate, and it´s indicated by switching on/off the seat belt signs).
cf. 17) Why is only the PFs FD activated? Why not both? Are both needed for a CAT IIIb landing (as you need two APs)?
cf. 23) Where do you take the PERF data from (flight plan? uploaded via ACARS?) Who determines the actual cruise alt? Is it OPS or the Capt? Do OPS have a software program which determines optimum cruise alt based on winds, trip distance, presumed gross weight etc.? Who determines cost index? Will it differ from flight to flight (e.g. leg 1 KLAX-KLAS, leg 2 KLAS -KSAN, leg 3....) or are there fixed CIs for a specific route?
I hope, my questions are not annoying.
Thanks in advance that you´re dedicating your precious time for this, all this info helps us getting close to the real thing :-)

Chris

matta757

Hi Mike,

LOVE these kinds of posts. I love hearing how things work in the real world. One quick question: do you and the Captain meet and discuss the flight at CAL/UAL's departure center or anything? Or is the first time you and the Captain meet when he joins you on the flight deck? I am assuming this may vary with companies, but you didn't mention any flight planning phase or anything, so I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Matt

Garys

Another question that Im curious about. Up here the 737 pilots shut the engines down as soon as they come to a stop. The American carriers though seem to run the engines for an eternity before shutting them down. United is the worst and its painful sometimes waiting for them to shutdown so you can pass behind in a vehicle. Is that a procedures thing as it seems like a huge waste of engine time and fuel?

My favorite line from flight crews at the end of a days flying.... Yep shes a good ship...BUT  :)

MLeavy737

Quote from: choffmann on February 25, 2011, 12:52:07 PM
Thank you very much, Mike!  :)
Just a few questions:
What is PDC?
Where is the sterile cockpit light switch, and where is the light (I think there are 737 NG versions without it)? Is there also a light in the cabin indicating for the FAs? (somewhere I heard, the sterile cockpit phases is from taxi to 10,000 ft and from 10,000 ft to gate, and it´s indicated by switching on/off the seat belt signs).
cf. 17) Why is only the PFs FD activated? Why not both? Are both needed for a CAT IIIb landing (as you need two APs)?
cf. 23) Where do you take the PERF data from (flight plan? uploaded via ACARS?) Who determines the actual cruise alt? Is it OPS or the Capt? Do OPS have a software program which determines optimum cruise alt based on winds, trip distance, presumed gross weight etc.? Who determines cost index? Will it differ from flight to flight (e.g. leg 1 KLAX-KLAS, leg 2 KLAS -KSAN, leg 3....) or are there fixed CIs for a specific route?
I hope, my questions are not annoying.
Thanks in advance that you´re dedicating your precious time for this, all this info helps us getting close to the real thing :-)

Chris

Chris,
  no problem, glad to help.

-- PDC is short for Pre Departure Clearance. Instead of having to call clearance and get a verbal, ATC will send a text version to the printer. Prints out about 30 min prior to departure.
-- The sterile switch itself is located on the overhead lights panel. Its the first switch to the right of the number 2 engine start switch. There is a blue light just above the flightdeck door in the passenger cabin. I think there are some in the rear of the cabin as well.  Yes the light is turned on after engine start until 10,000 ft then back on at 10,000 ft until parked at the gate.
-- Both FD switches need to be turned on for all operations yes. The side that is switched on first becomes the master and indicated with a yellow light just above the switch.
-- ALL flight planning is done by the company. The pilots are basically double checking the paperwork and are in charge with "accepting" it. At any time the captain can call dispatch and discuss or change something he/she does not  like such as adding fuel.  Yes the company has flight planning software that determines all the best routes, altitudes, Cost Index, etc.  Pilots then modify in flight such as increasing the cost index to make up sometime or changing altitudes for bumpy rides etc.  The PERF data is the very last thing that arrives via ACARS. The loaders send the last weight info to the company and in turn the company send that info to us via ACARS. The final weight, FLAP setting, trim, Vspeeds, and reduced power setting are sent via ACARS to the FMC and is executed by the pilots.  After that is loaded is when the Before Pushback checklist is started and the call to pushback starts..

Mike Leavy

MLeavy737

Quote from: matta757 on February 25, 2011, 02:18:16 PM
Hi Mike,

LOVE these kinds of posts. I love hearing how things work in the real world. One quick question: do you and the Captain meet and discuss the flight at CAL/UAL's departure center or anything? Or is the first time you and the Captain meet when he joins you on the flight deck? I am assuming this may vary with companies, but you didn't mention any flight planning phase or anything, so I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,
  Glad you like them.  All the flight planning is done for you by the company and dispatchers.  In airline flying the dispatcher is basically considered another crew member. Theres not much you stray from witout going through dispatch.  And yes for the most part the first time i meet a CA is when he/she strolls into the flightdeck as im setting up :) Having said that you also need to remember the basic FAR's that say a pilot will be familiar with all available flight information.. blah blah blah.. That info is part of the flight paperwork that the CA looks over and prints out.
Also have to consider.. Some of the flights are planned to  have about 45 min between them. How much planning and drawing pretty yellow highlighted lines do you think there is time for? :) Thats why airlline flying is so nice in my opinion.. everything is done for you.. you just get paid to fly.

Mike Leavy

MLeavy737

Quote from: Garys on February 26, 2011, 03:54:26 AM
Another question that Im curious about. Up here the 737 pilots shut the engines down as soon as they come to a stop. The American carriers though seem to run the engines for an eternity before shutting them down. United is the worst and its painful sometimes waiting for them to shutdown so you can pass behind in a vehicle. Is that a procedures thing as it seems like a huge waste of engine time and fuel?

My favorite line from flight crews at the end of a days flying.... Yep shes a good ship...BUT  :)

The procedure is to shut the number two engine down approaching the J line and as soon as the brakes are set parking at the gate,  the number one engine is shut down..

Depending on where "Up here" is they may be dealing with recommended cool down periods before shutting down the engines.. normally need 2 min at normal taxi power settings before you shut down.  Also if the APU is inop you have to keep one engine running until ground power is applied before you shut down. Ground power normally comes from the gate itself so you also have to wait until the jetway driver is docked to the airplane before ground crews can plug in.. You know how long all of that can take! Could be what you see sometimes in different forms.

Mike Leavy

bussgarfield

Hi Mike.

I echo what has already been said and thank you for taking the time to write down the procedures and checks that you perform in the real world.
I am in the relative early stages of cockpit construction and currently use the default FSX 737. I am STILL awaiting the release of the new PMDG 737 NGX so I can start to make some connections from the OH and MIP to the sim but in the mean time I have purchased the Boeing flight manuals from PMDG and have started to swot up on the procedures and checks. The manuals are pretty hard going for a novice like me (I take my hat off to the real pilots like yourself) but having read your topic, I have printed it out and that sits beside my manuals for a reference.

I look forward to reading your real world experiences when they appear and they benefit all of us - whether novice or experienced simmers.

Thanks again.
Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

Trevor Hale

Wow Mike,  I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post this.  I am sure your time away from the cockpit is very minimal and taking the time to post this really was nice of you.

This was a really neat read, and I am sure many will benefit from it.

Thanks again.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ETomlin

Mike, thanks for all the incredibly rich information. Although I am no longer a 737 guy, I remember quite a bit of it very fondly from my days of wanting to build one. The info really spans across much of commercial aviation I think and is very helpful as well as interesting since all of us here desire to emulate this to the highest degree possible. With corporate aviation, I bet you could do a good write up there too for me and all my LJ45 buddies! But, from talking with other corporate pilots, my understanding is that basically you make yourself available 24-7 for the days you are "on" (if not always, situation/job depending) and when you get the call, you go to the airport, check wx, plan your flight and then call up and file the plan if you are at a remote location. Fly the route, hang around until everyone is ready to go, and then you're off again. Please feel free to expound on "Learjet flying...my way"  8)

Also, thanks to all the others here that asked additional questions. Dont you hate it when you get a chance to talk to someone in the know, and then your mind goes blank!  :-X
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

JWS

Great reading stuff, thanks Mike. And you're getting payed for this?

JWS

MLeavy737

Quote from: ETomlin on March 01, 2011, 04:42:17 AM
Mike, thanks for all the incredibly rich information. Although I am no longer a 737 guy, I remember quite a bit of it very fondly from my days of wanting to build one. The info really spans across much of commercial aviation I think and is very helpful as well as interesting since all of us here desire to emulate this to the highest degree possible. With corporate aviation, I bet you could do a good write up there too for me and all my LJ45 buddies! But, from talking with other corporate pilots, my understanding is that basically you make yourself available 24-7 for the days you are "on" (if not always, situation/job depending) and when you get the call, you go to the airport, check wx, plan your flight and then call up and file the plan if you are at a remote location. Fly the route, hang around until everyone is ready to go, and then you're off again. Please feel free to expound on "Learjet flying...my way"  8)

Also, thanks to all the others here that asked additional questions. Dont you hate it when you get a chance to talk to someone in the know, and then your mind goes blank!  :-X

Eric,
  You nailed it spot on with most corporate flying! On call 24/7 with the exception of the few days your actually "allowed" to be non reachable. And that is always negotiable.. I remember actually being ON vacation and getting a call to see if i could come off vacation and cover an airplane. And the big thing with corporate flying is that you have to be buddy buddy with the uppers or you will find yourself being either pushed out or prob flying smaller airplanes.. Just think.. Your basically married to the guys you fly with so you like any bad marriage you will find yourself divorsed if you cant play nice.
  The other thing i noticed with corporate is that you get the feeling that the actual flying is the last thing you actually get paid to do.  Like you said, most places leave all the flight planning, fuel loading, catering, passenger ass kissing, airplane securing, accounting, and anything else you can think of up to you!  By the time you actually fly the trip the flying part just seems like a small part of the day. 
  O and you can usually forget about family time. Heres one thing i learned pretty damn quick.. "THE BIGGER THE AIRLANE YOU FLY , THE BIGGER THE SUITCASE YOU NEED TO HAVE!".  I mostly few a Falcon 50 and the average trips were at least 5-6 days.. I think i even had  a few 2 week ones. As you know things at home break, kids need parents etc.. it gets old real fast being away that much.  Then you come home from a 6 day and have a message on the phone that your days off are being moved and you have another 6 day tomorrow.. fun fun..
  Not to be a corporate downer but that was my experience.. To me im happy getting paid to actually fly with the airlines  and not have to put up with all that other BS :)

btw, if anyone ever has specific questions just let me know.. ill do my best.

Mike Leavy

Sean

737NG specific questions if I may:

1. Do the ENG driven HYD PUMPS ever get switched off (apart from system A during pushback)?

2. Why should the centre fuel tanks not be on with flight deck unattended?

ETomlin

Hey  Mike, what you said was pretty much spot-on from what Ive been told. We do have a local business here in town that has a King Air 300 and they were considering getting an LJ45, but (I speak with the chief pilot on occasion) they just bought a new KA instead of the jet because their trips are all 1 hour mostly, with a few trips out to LAS and places in Montana for vacation, etc. and is typically home the same day. So, that guy's job is actually not bad at all for a corporate job, but then again, he's personally known the family that owns this business for many, many years. I would guess that those kind of corporate flying jobs are few and far between.

When it comes to sim building, the one very large plus of building a corporate/ga type of aircraft is that you have hundreds, if not thousands, of additional airports available and I can honestly simulate being the private owner of that aircraft (LJ45) much easier than any airliner...unless you are a super rich private owner of an airliner  8)
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate