Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 03:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
226 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 235
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

When and Where (online), do you fly your sim?

Started by blueskydriver, April 12, 2011, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 13, 2011, 04:31:04 PM

Next, you'll use the EFB to actually export to the CDU directly-means no typing in directly to CDU-you would just verify the transfer. It all happens with one button in the EFB...called= ACTIVATE.

I guess this works with FSX flight plans but what if you are using PM or SimA? They both require a particular type of flight plan format so not sure how does EFB account for that?  IS EFB able to generate a flight plan in any format you choose? Also do you know if SimA format is available? If it can't do that, you would need to manually enter the plan in the CDU I would think...correct?

Thanks,
Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Maurice,

Let me suggest to you, Jack and everyone else to try the Demo from AivlaSoft...It will help you decide, but hands down it's the best we've seen. For a video example, check out this video from Matt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vqTx1iD_M&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

While you are there check out this video from Matt using the Ipad and Instructor Station by Luis Gordo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9jRaPTGJxw&feature=player_embedded

Now, imagine using the Ipad to do both programs (where Matt uses a tablet PC for the EFB where the lower EICAS goes). We're using IPad to do both programs...

So, on with the information about AivlaSoft EFB, it works great with PM and FS9/FSX Plans. Here is how it works:

1. You first setup the part of the software that works with FS, onto the FS machine (your FS server). After this is installed, you only interact with it on a limited basis, and you just have to start it before flying (could be in a start-up folder for start-up when you turn the computer on).

2. The next part is called the Display and it's the part you interact with a lot. You can have this on the same FS Server machine or a client machine. In our case, we have it on a client PC, and then using AirDisplay add-on with an IPad (to make the IPad to be seen as another montior on this client PC). Thus, we have the EFB Display on the IPad in the cockpit.

3. To answer your questions: In the Display Part, you would either load a pre-saved EFB flight plan, a pre-saved FSPlan (from your FS9/FSX folder within your documents folder from the FS Server Computer), a flight plan made with RouteFinder here: http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ , or you make the plan yourself.

Once you load the plan into the EFB Display, you can then modify it based on all the factors such as STARS, SIDS, ILS Runways or whatever variable; you name it's there. Then, you save/resave it as an EFB flight plan or FSPlan back on the FS Server in the documents folder. If you only chose to save it as an EFB Flight Plan, it gets put in the documents folder on your FS Server as an EFB save and a FSPlan. In other words, it will always save it in the FSPlans format, as well as the other format you choose.

From this point, you would go to PM CDU and select Load FSPlan from FS, by pressing the Route Button two times (to get to the load page). It will now be loaded in the CDU after about 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can go down the loaded pages in the Route or Legs pages and make any manual changes you like (if needed). You can then save this very plan as a company route in PM, if you plan to fly it more than once...this is an awesome feature of PM.

Once your plans are in the PM CDU and if you use your IPad in the cockpit as the EFB Display, you'll now have it being a Moving Map on the Display Part, as well as it will be showing all the Multiplayer traffic (or AI traffic when not online), the flight data like VOR's, Fixes, Airports with G/S indicators and much, much more...like the ND display does on the MIP

As for SimA, if it reads the FSPlans from the FSServer Computer, then it'll be the same as far as using the data or format from FS. How it displays in the CDU should be the same, since a CDU is a CDU (okay there are lots of differences), but as long as it reads the plans from FS it'll work.

4. What next? Once you get online, the flight plan is done by the EFB, so you just copy the routing from there into whatever screen for the particular Multiplayer site. For example, in Gamespy session just file your flight plan in the Chat Window (Press Enter Key to get to the Chat Window), or like BostonVirtualATC, who uses their own program for this part (called Flight Desk), you file it in there just as easily...once done, you call the controller...be it the Ground, Tower, APP/DEP and request Clearance and saying your flight plan is filed. They'll look for your filed plan and go from there.

Finally, for everyone replying to this post, can you also say what times you normally or try to fly either off line or online. Most have posted the Where, but how about the When? Yes, knowing when this is, is a hard answer, but just give the average time frame (in UTC). The point is for us to setup the CockpitBuilders (CB) Session, and maybe have one day each week to fly together (for starters). Like the RC club we're in nearby, that meets once each week for an hour and then we fly the rest of the evening together (called "Club Night"), why not us CB members do the same, but for flying online?

Yes, it is understandable that not everyone can do this, but who knows, once it gets started it might take-off (pun intended), and not only would we all be flying together, but imagine the conversations, as well as the information or help everyone could share.

BSD Team
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Thanks for the extensive Aviasoft explanation. Unfortunately, SimA does not import flight plans from the FS PC (as far as I know), so this will still have to be a manual load on the CDU.

As far as Ipad or other EFB hardware platforms, I think I may go for the Dell Inspiron Duo. My reason is that I need a full PC to remotely access the FSX PC when I am inside the cockpit. Why do I need that? Well maybe I won't when I am fully setup and do not need to change FSX settings but it would be very convenient now if I need to change anything in FSX since most of the screen is hidden from view by the 737 shell. So remote access is crucial at this stage of my build.

Otherwise, the Ipad sounds like it would be the ideal platform for the EFB. The Dell Duo also has a touch screen and the screen folds back onto the keyboard so it can be used as a tablet PC.

Anyway, many more decisions & more training required before even contemplating flying online  :)

Thanks,
Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Again, on Gamespy toight, Thursday Apr 14, 3:00 UTC/ 10:00pm CST, in the Hartsfield Atlanta KATL Session. Will be starting at gate A30 and going to KCVG. Join in...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate