Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
343 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 392
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

1920X1080 short throw projector???

Started by astron, April 16, 2011, 07:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Hello Neil,

That was me that comment and it is very much personal opinion.   You are just not going to get the detail in any affordable projector that you get from a TV or monitor....its not possible today.   Therefore I think the view in a projector in comparison looks like crap.  Not crisp, more fuzzy.  Pixels blown up. Lower contrast etc.

Then if you try to run 3 projectors off one computer and video card in surround view at 1080 each you will add stuttering and very low framerates.  Again, crap...

That all said, one 1080 quality projector should still perform well if your computer is up to it.    Projection definitely will give you a much larger view and many are happier with that than concerned about picture quality.

As stated in many other threads...try to visit simulators using both options and form your own opinion of what looks good and ismbest and most acceptable to you.   What i termed as crap you might think is awesome....

Seeing in person is best way to decide.   Dont shy away from projection only based on my comment in other words.

Good luck,
Scott

markfire

Hi Neil

I've played with PJ's and like Scott says, if you're more into immersion over detail then go for the projectors. If I had the money I'd invest in TV screens, probably going for 60" thin bezel models like Scott is using. I'm running older 40" screens but the detail, colour and clarity is superb.  I tried the lower res PJ in my sim and found it hard to read the taxiway signs etc, not good at a busy airport on vat sim : )

At the end of the day it's your call!

Good luck
:2cw:

tinker27

Hi XOrionFE & markfire , i went to a 737  flight simulator few months back my first time , the graphics where pants allright , emersion was fantastic , but i felt like you both say gutted at the graphics it was like going back in to to the dark ages for me , but looking on you tube at some of the guys with projectors in there cockpits they look great , i could only afford one projector at the mo but i did think about going for something like the benqw1080st or maybe the 3 lcd epsom 6100 version which people say is the dogs Knackers ;-) a little bit more expensive , Now when you say 3 tvs ive looked at the new lcd ones i have a 42inch lg for a tv i might try that as a test , whats everyone else using ? im using nvida 3d glasses and a asus 278h 3d monitor wouldnt you think these companies could make a projector that gives the same views as that does in this day and age ? Thanks for replies guys i think we need to keep this going .

markfire

I'm using 5x40" sharp HD TV's and Scott is using 60" thin bezel beauties.

Regarding your comments on PJ's, dont forget you'll need to sit in the dark most of the time as even the new generation PJ's still look washed out with any ambient light getting in.

I went in a 737 sim at Westfield, North London for a couple of hours and i believe they still run FS9! but yes the graphics were crap, although very fluid. If you still hanker for PJ's you'll need to get three the same and sometimes they are a bitch to colour match. Where TV's are pretty close out of the box.

Not trying to put you off PJ's but there's a lot to be said for TV's

Mark

tinker27

Hi Mark , yeah i know what you mean , i went to sywell 737 sim , it was great for the actual feel of the being in it and the feeling of actualy flying , but i said to them about the graphics they didnt make alot of it , now im thinking 3 big tvs like you , and im thinking the latest tvs are coming down in price all the time soon hopefully 4k tvs will be cheap lol , or am i pushing the boat a bit now ya reckon  ::)

Neil

tinker27

ps whats best for large tvs lcd or led or plasma ? am looking on amazon now  :huh:

thanks Neil

XOrionFE

Plasmas give generally better blacks and better motion but they consume a lot more energy and get really hot.    The motion isnt an issue for us as 60hz is more than fine for a flight sim.     Good LED TVs with full backlighting can be justbas good with blacks and personally I think regular LED Tvs are fine.    Tha blacks with any TV will blow a projector out of the water as projectors just dont do blacks well at all.   

To me the heat and energy considerations make LEDs the winner in the LED versus Plasma discussion.    Try surrounding yourself with 5 60" Plasmas and you will exit your sim "well done" after a couple hours....LEDs by contrast run relatively cool.

Hope that helps..

Scott

tinker27

brill , so led,s it is then bugger the projectors lol   :) you guys sure know ya stuff thanks alot

Neil

tinker27

what make are your 60 inch ones scott , what they cost a piece , been looking lots of reviews about which is best with the lag ? thanks Neil

ps did try my 42 inch lg today big tweaked a bit looked good only a 6ohz one tho i bet the latest 200hz look good ?

XOrionFE

Samsung 60" FH6003

This doesnt have Smart Hub, 3D or any extras since we dont need those features.

tinker27

cheers scott am looking now , ps can you use 3d on a pc thro tv and flight sim ?

Neil

XOrionFE

I suppose you could.   I tried it with the PMDG Virtual cockpit one on a desktop and it was pretty cool looking though i couldnt sit through a whole flight that way.

tinker27

Yeah 3d is very cool looks like a mirror and the veiws are so crisp , i have nvidia 3d glasses with my asus 27" 3d monitor it is fab but like you say it does take it out on your eyes untill you get used to it , i built up my eye time gradually , i can do a 3 hr stint now no probs , i might be blind one day thro it tho who knows lol . ps these big tvs arent cheap are they , im researching the lag time on big led tvs im learning something new everyday ,  :huh:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate