Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:49:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
334 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 360
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 334
Total: 334

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

1920X1080 short throw projector???

Started by astron, April 16, 2011, 07:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying_Fox

Quote from: Olafson on April 10, 2012, 10:50:49 AM

But I do not think the hardware must be a problem to run the 3 hd beamers. I have a setup witch is suitable for smooth picture and high frame rates with 3 hd 1080p beamers or LCD screens.

This is my setup:

I beg to differ. :)

At the moment there is no single PC that can run FSX with 3 HD 1080p displays of any kind with smooth picture and high frame rates.

I have very similar system (2600K overclocked to 4.6 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, one GTX570 + TH2Go, two SSD drives  60 and 120 GB, Win 7-64, 3 x Optoma GT720 at 1280x800 ) and with all tweaks it can only run ~ 15 FPS with 3 undocked windows with heavy ORBX scenery on the runway. With one stretched front view FPS are not much of a problem (usually over 30). But the graphic is not as nice as with 3 undocked windows.

It will not be able to run the same 3 windows at 1080P at any decent frame rate. Three GTX580 cards (or one GTX590   ;) ) may be nice to replace TH2Go, but they will not help with frame rates since main FSX graphics engine still runs only on one processor core, and that's what defines the possible frame rates.

Nick

Maurice

Totally agree with you Nick. I too have a very high end system and there is no way my system could run at that resolution with 3 undocked windows as opposed to a single view stretched over 3 projections.

So I still think I would be seeing a slide show with that higher resolution.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

clayton4115

Sean

Why the heck do they not tell you arguably the most important bit of info for a short throw projector, the throw ratio?

tennyson

Pardon my ignorance, Sean, but what is the throw ratio?

Frank Cooper

Sean

http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn-s-learn-p-theater_throw_ratios.htm

Essentially it's a number, shown as a ratio. I think short throw is considered anything less than 1, but I may be wrong, but in any case, most sim builders will be looking for a short throw projector with a throw ratio of 0.5:1 or better (e.g. 0.4:1).

Anything more, then shadows become a problem as the projectors are moved further back to increase the screen size.

So, for example, a projector with a throw ratio of 0.9:1 would be considered short throw, but would be unsuitable for use in most sims.

Sean

tennyson

Thanx Sean.
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, so I can make the best possible choices for my visuals.

Much appreciate the info, mate.

Frank Cooper

FredK

They do not define a throw ratio, but looking at the "projection distance" and "screen size" spec limits one would conclude this thing is not short throw at all.  For example....a 22.5inch screen @ 1.5meters?  But as things many times are with China things can be lost in the translation.
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jskibo

Less than 4 years to retirement......

HarryZ

I have 3 BenQ MW814 ST projectors.  From about 4 1/2 feet back from the screen, it throws a screen size of just over 8' wide.  They are 1280 x 800 native resolution.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

fordgt40

jskibo

Wow, look at that rating:

Shenzhen Vivibright Micro-Display Technolog...
China (Mainland) (Guangdong)

76.9%Positive feedback

13 Ratings

Detailed Seller Ratings information is unavailable when there're less than 10 ratings..

I'll wait :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

fordgt40

Having read the specific complaints, history and nature of products sold  across the 240+ feedback entries it did not seem disastrously bad to me. A risk, yes, worth it perhaps? Always use Paypal just in case :)

David

gregh

Thanks for all the information. This is one of the most informative threads I have ever read.
Has anyone gone ahead and purchased the 1920 X 1080 ST projector from Vivibright?
Any feedback?

Regards to all.
Greg. Perth, Australia.

Masterploxis

Dear All,

i´d like to warm up this interesting topic once more.

As i am planning a new visual system i would like to ask you if you found a decent Projector whith a throw ration of 0.5 and full HD capability.

During my research for projectors i could not find anything which is affordable.
So the best what i could find (cost/ratio) would be the Acer S1370WHN. It comes with a throw ration of 0.5 and does 1280x800. It costs approv 650€ and would be my choice.

The layout for my visual system can be found as attached picture. The diameter of the curved screen is 3.40 m. No shadow problems etc.

NOW: Should i go for the investment of the projectors ? At the moment i have 3 x 40 inch LCD screen in fron of the cockpit and i really would like to get a higher immersion rate. I read all theposts about pixels and blurry image quality. Does this ruin the benefit of a wrap around experience ? I think  the 225 degree FOV will put the immersion to a crazy high level...

If somebody found a better solution (except Scott with his insane 5 x 60 inch setup ) -any input is highly appreciated.

Andy
www.masterploxis.de

Nat Crea

Uh Oh...Projector vs TV war looming :)

I think you answered your question...3 smaller HD TV visuals vs larger lower Rez Surround visuals.
I think its whats important to you.
There is no HD Projector with a throw ratio of 0.5 around at the moment that I know of.

Nat

Maurice

Andy,

I don't know if you watch "The Big Bang Theory" on TV, but this is another example of the "Schrodinger's cat" paradox.

Unless you get a chance to try or at least see both options by yourself, you will never know for sure which one will satisfy you the most.

For those of us who have tried or seen both options, the answer is more obvious but our experience/conclusion can in no way guarantee yours will be the same.

Unfortunately, this is one decision that nobody can make for you since nobody knows what is truly the most important thing for you and maybe you don't even know yourself either :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Mink

There is no right answer for your question.
Best way is as suggested to see it yourself. best way is to book a flight at a simulator( commercial or private) and see it with your own eyes.

here is a new website which compares a flightsimulator in germany, austria, and switzerland. both commercial and private sims.
as you are german there will be no understanding problem, as it is in german.

http://www.flugsimulator-vergleich.de/

Kresimir

Masterploxis

Hello,

thanks for the fast responses. I think i already made up my mind with the planning of the curved screen.
So i will go for the projector solution. Immersion has a higer priority than reading taxi signs ; )

Andy
www.masterploxis.de

XOrionFE

The easiest and cheapest wraparound setup is still projectors.   Having a setup like mine gives you full immersion and all the clarity in the world but is incredibly expensive in number of computers and a lot of setup.  Single computer with projectors and surround view gives the immersion at best price and level of complexity.....though looks like crap  :o

;D

Good luck with whatever you choose
Scott

HarryZ

QuoteThere is no HD Projector with a throw ratio of 0.5 around at the moment that I know of.

Nat

There is one way to help improve the vertical/horizontal ratio when using the BenQ 1080ST projector. That is changing the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 and with the BenQ there is no loss of resolution.

As well, the 500 series Nividia cards aren't capable of handling the kind of 3 projector display simmers need.  They require a TH2G which just adds another layer of latency and you lose a couple of FPS.  I suggest at least the 660 and up cards which have Surround View, thus eliminating the TH2G. A friend of mine has recently purchased the Nvidia 780 and with 3GB of memory, he said it made quite a difference to the smooth operation of FS X.

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

XOrionFE

I will add to my previous comment also that while I love my 5 60" displays....i flew a lot more when I had projectors on a TH2GO.   There is something to be said about running off one computer....no way your going to get 1080 and total smoothness but you will get more hours flying without other complexities and issues.

Scott

FredK

QuoteThere is one way to help improve the vertical/horizontal ratio when using the BenQ 1080ST projector. That is changing the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 and with the BenQ there is no loss of resolution.

As well, the 500 series Nividia cards aren't capable of handling the kind of 3 projector display simmers need.  They require a TH2G which just adds another layer of latency and you lose a couple of FPS.  I suggest at least the 660 and up cards which have Surround View, thus eliminating the TH2G. A friend of mine has recently purchased the Nvidia 780 and with 3GB of memory, he said it made quite a difference to the smooth operation of FS X.

I run my Mitsubishi ST projectors using a 4:3 ration to give a better vertical depth to my projection (given my throw distance limitations).  The downside is that you do lose resolution since the 4:3 is achieved by blanking out pixels on the left and right sides of the 16:9 projected image.  I am currently using Nthusim on 3 separate computers (that is, 3 separate instances of "single projector" Nthusim). Unfortunately the "single projector" version of Nthusim does not accommodate overlap edge blending....If it did this would work out perfectly in my setup since I would be overlapping the 16:9 aspect images achieving pretty much the total screen fill I have now.  Other warping software does offer this feature but right now this is way down in my priority list.

Fred
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

HarryZ

QuoteThe downside is that you do lose resolution since the 4:3 is achieved by blanking out pixels on the left and right sides of the 16:9 projected image.

Apparently this is the case with some of the projector manufacturers on the 1080 units but not with BenQ.  I'm doing a commercial installation using these projectors and will soon find out how accurate the info is!

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

tinker27

Hi all im thinking of getting a single projector and the benq w1080st was my choice , i been looking in to this for quite sometime , now did i read somewhere on here the views are crap , immerse but crap views graphics  , i run a i7 with a 660 ti nvidia graphice card thro a asus 278h 3d monitor views are awesome please tell me this is not right with a expensive projector or am i just reading this wrong , what is the best projector anyone is running , pics vids anyone ?> thanks Neil

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate