Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
401 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 492
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 401
Total: 402

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

3 monitors

Started by car727, May 26, 2011, 03:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car727

I have a new computer i5 2500K with a EVGA GTX 460 @WIN video card. The video card suppoorts 3 monitors, which I have up and running. I use FS9 and when I undock and move a diplay in windows mode, as soon as I go to full screen the undocked dispays move back to the main screen, or one of the other screens. Thanks for any help.

saabpilot

You cannot use "full screen mode" with 3 displays attached.

Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

wledzian

Not true... you can use full-screen with multiple monitors - with a catch.
The sim will maximize to whichever display (note: I didn't say 'screen') the FS window is on.  All the windows, undocked and otherwise, will relocate to that display.  They can be moved to other displays, but the positions won't be remembered.

I believe the NVidia cards have display configuration modes which allow you to treat multiple monitors as a single logical display - to have your main FS window automatically maximize to more than a single monitor, you must have them configured in this mode.

edward57

I have 2  separate 3 screen simulators using 2 different sets of hardware and maybe can shed some light on this..

The flightsim one uses ATI 5870 card, and 1 card supports FSX in widescreen (5760X1280) called eyeinfinity.
all the monitors can be different brands/model/sizes/resolution, but it will set the resolution to be the equivelent of the smallest monitor.
eg. if the LHS screen is 1024X768, then all the 3 screens will be 1024X768 regardless of what they are.. so final res will be 3072x768.

The racing sim uses Nvidia cards..
You need 2 graphics cards (configured in SLI) 200 series and up, and generally speaking all the monitors have to be the same brand /model /resolution.

Currently there is no support from either ATI or NVIDIA to support 2 monitors in widescreen - minimum is 3
ATI's new range of cards now support 6 screens (2 rows of 3)

One thing though, If you do not have a physical cockpit (like me!).. ATI only supports Virtual Cockpit on widescreen, you end up with a BIG BLACK SQUARE where the 2D cockpit should be if you try and use it, and the continuous PC busy mouse symbol.. (documented failure)..
Never tried FSX on the Nvidia system to see if it is the same

Building the 737 cockpit around my 3screen sim is my next journey!..  why I signed up to this forum this morning!..
Let the fun begin!

bussgarfield

I have 3 monitors for outside visuals and at present a fourth for the PDF and MDF screens in my MIP. I am running FSX on Vista and have 2 Nvidia GT 9800 video cards (I have a 3rd card but that is not working). Each card has 2 sockets for 2 monitors. I have set up multiple display through the Nvidia software.

I start FSX (on the centre monitor) and load my plane and flight plan and click 'fly now'. When the plane is loaded, the centre screen shows the cockpit and the other 3 screens are black. I right click anywhere on the centre screen to get a menu option, click on hide tool bar and the tool bar appears at the top.
Go into View/Newview/cockpit/virtual cockpit and drag that new window to the right screen and do the same for the left screen. I then click on View/Newview/instruments/PDF (and then MDF) and drag those new views to the screen in the MIP.
It is then just a case of resizing and zooming to get the views you require.
After shut down, the next time I load a plane, it automatically goes into multiple display mode with the black screens but I still have to reload the individual windows from the View on the tool bar.
I have FsXPand but I need a more powerful computer for FsClient to get the MIP screens the way I want them so I am at present stuck with just the windows instrument views.

I hope that has been explained ok. It works fine for me.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

car727

Thanks for all the quick help. I fly using FS9, and only in the 2D mode. In the past with two monitors I would go to windows mode, undock and move what I wanted, and when I went back to full screen everything stayed put. Now with the new computer and video card undocked dispays move when I go to full screen. In addition when I fly my Dreamfleet 727, In windows mode when I select a display to move nothing shows up.

blueskydriver

How about doing all the screen placements, load an aircraft and place it at an airport, then save that flight, and then check the default flight box and now ok (save).

When you open FS9/FSX back up later on the next time you fly, you load that previous saved flight and the window placements should be where you left them. Then just change the airplane, airport, weather & etc to what you want it to be (if different) and save it (if needed). These saves are known as name.FLT (name being whatever you name it).

In other words, you will be effectively doing what the guys with three projector screens are doing to keep their windows in the same places (because three projector setups use 4 flight simulator windows). Yes, you are not using projectors, but the screen positioning fixations are the same...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate