Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
461 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 461
Total: 461

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

PMDG getting their act together

Started by Joe Lavery, July 14, 2011, 01:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

727737Nut

Thanks guys, you helped me make my decision , im going back to a desktop pilot and putting this madness to an end!  I'm going back to enjoy flying and stop the nonsense that Maurice mentions.
I'll keep my real 737 throttle and yoke but the rest of my stuff will be up for sale soon.  It's been real and thanks for all the help.

Oh and by the way, having been in the sim world since the start of computer flying, my comments are still accurate! PMDG has hit a Grandslam with this one! Sorry it hurts you guys feelings and this is from a fellow pit builder, but it is what is.  A TOTAL and accurate simulation of the 737.

Rob
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

Quote from: 727737Nut on August 06, 2011, 11:05:43 AM
Thanks guys, you helped me make my decision , im going back to a desktop pilot and putting this madness to an end!  I'm going back to enjoy flying and stop the nonsense that Maurice mentions.
I'll keep my real 737 throttle and yoke but the rest of my stuff will be up for sale soon.  It's been real and thanks for all the help.

Oh and by the way, having been in the sim world since the start of computer flying, my comments are still accurate! PMDG has hit a Grandslam with this one! Sorry it hurts you guys feelings and this is from a fellow pit builder, but it is what is.  A TOTAL and accurate simulation of the 737.

Rob

LOL ok Rob...... You may sell all your stuff, again..... But you will be back. You always are........ This is a sickness, you can't just sell it away.  8)

jackpilot

dot...dot...beep...beeeep...dot...dot....beep.

...We interrupt this program for a Special  Statement ...

A first case of severe viral PMD-Genitis has been diagnosed near Greenfield.
Also known as Baktoodesktop Syndrome, this highly contagious disease can spread without warning . A strong SDK fever is usually the first symptom.
People affected are invited to call Dr. Mau Clinic for an immediate MEDEVAC and a three beams treatment.

...dot...dot...beep...beeeep...dot...dot....beep....

Rob....you cant be serious!
Besides you will not teach Junior to fly  a Boeing with a stick!!   :laugh:

Jack

MLeavy737

Going BACK to a desktop? Really? That must be a first! I wouldnt go selling your stuff just so fast.

To me part of the fun with all this is sim building stuff is having friends and family sit in the sim and share the experience. Not so sure you can recreate that on a desktop! When mine was up and running at one point in time, so much of the fun was seeing  faces when that garage door opened and sitting in there was a 737 pit ready for takeoff!

Im sure that PMDG thing is great and all but i dont tink it comes even close to the sim experience.

And yes like most people here say, i cant even image the new problems and configuration work arounds that will come into play trying to use that NGX for the sims.  Ill prob get it.. Maybe.. Im more curious just how accurate it really is but it will be nowhere near used in any way for the sim! Besides everone here knows im not much of a MS Flight Sim guy when it comes to my sim :)

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Maurice

While I do understand Rob's feelings about all this (I've had similar feelings many, many times), I do think that reverting solely to a desktop sim will never ever satisfy any former pit builder. Boredom will soon take over when all you do is click on a mouse now & then and the beautiful PMDG flight model will never really be as satisfying as an imperfect FSX flight model inside a full cockpit powered by PM or SimA or whatever.

It will be like reverting to an old 19" B&W CRT TV after you've had a 60" LCD HD TV. Yes, you can still watch your programs but you will always be thinking about what you had before.

So Rob, if you do decide to sell it all, my advice would be to really sell it all and get flying out of your system once & for all if that is possible. Cold turkey will be much less painful than a slow withdrawal. I came very close to doing just that at some point but I'm glad I stuck with it now that I can fly my imperfect sim and challenge myself while trying some difficult approaches. In fact, a bad flight model is even more challenging than a perfect one and since I don't know what a perfect one is like, ignorance is bliss.

Now about  "the turbine whine is better than any other I've heard, (other than on board a real 737 that is)." that Joe mentioned, that is good news indeed. It will certainly replace all the whining that has been going on for several years by would be PMDG buyers. The whining will indeed go on  ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

OMG! What did we just get started? Lol, lol, ROFLMAO! You guys are a riot...really!

Rob, Karen (my wife/BSD Team member/the banker) wants to know if she should plan for me to road trip to your place AGAIN? She says post your part list first though...lol, she is sitting here laughing at all of us big kids...

She also wants to know what kind of protection she needs to have now? With these new diseases she doesn't know whether to "RUN or put on a RAIN COAT"...the laughter is really going here now...

Still loving all of you guys...

John and Karen
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Rob, seriously you know better, don't get out of a real cockpit...if you really need to go that far, call me, so I can talk you out of doing it. And, you and your son could come visit us or Maurice even to help you stay motivated.

Besides, Karen just bought a Case 1840 Skid Steer...her new toy (no joking), and she is in the process of destroying our backyard. Thus, she says my fun money is gone and she is using what's left of hers to buy a second bucket with teeth, so I can't have it...lol.

Really, PM me your phone number again if you want to chit-chat with HER about why you should keep the cockpit going... Oh, you can talk to me too.

John...aka BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

fsaviator

Wow, this thread has legs...  That is great as it has been a long time since we all bantered back and forth on a subject.

Quote from: 727737Nut on August 06, 2011, 11:05:43 AM

Rob

No hurt feelings Rob.  I don't think you'll find anyone here that will argue that the NGX is a grand slam.  It should be, for the time and effort that RSR and the guys put into it.
I bought it, and it will have a permanent place on my laptop, where based on my ratio of "time away:time at home" it will get many hours of use in far off, exotic places so I can maintain my skills.  But...  when I'm home, it's my full up cockpit that I'll fly (with Prosim737).

I will say that I'm surprised that you feel so strongly about quitting the cockpit building scene...  Maybe I'm clueless here, but what does the NGX offer you as a desktop flyer that a sim cockpit with PM, Sim-A, or Prosim doesn't offer you?  Especially as you now have both.

Warren

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

blueskydriver

Likely, you know we're using two truck style, sub-woofer type speakers under the flight deck and have the bass side of the FSX sound card coming to the amp for those speakers.

Anyway, the sound changes for PMDG 737NGX is affecting the low freq; it seems the developers might have dove into the FSX sound cones and the low-end freqs. The one's you don't really hear, but feel... Have it running now, and the room is so alive with the low. Not once has it sound like this, and nor have we changed the settings on the sound card or sub-amp.

Knowing there is a lot more to this new plane, but the sound observation is for sure a stand out...

BSD

Maurice

Quote from: bussgarfield on July 25, 2011, 04:01:10 AM
Time to get your hat and scarf packed then Maurice :-)

Gary

Not needed Gary. There will not be a "a frosty Sunday at high noon in the middle of July in the Kalahari desert"  :)

If you check the PMDG forums, it is quite obvious that they did not release a plane without any bugs since they already issued a hot fix.

Having said that, PMDG has really raised the bar when it comes to doing extensive testing before releasing software. Based on the complexity of this airplane, it would have been inconceivable that some issues would not surface, but they really deserve a lot or praise for coming out with such an amazing simulation even if the reported bugs are legitimate and not due to people not knowing how a real NG is supposed to behave and jumping to the conclusion that they found a bug.

I imagine PMDG support will be quite busy for a long time trying to educate people rather than fixing fictitious bugs.

I mentioned in another post that I bought the program just for the engine sounds and I'm glad I did even if that is all I ever get out of it. 

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

Yes I think PMDG will be answering a lot of questions about bugs that do not exist. I at one ime was pretty good with the 737 NG but it has been 3 years since I flew it. Would not be able to just jump in and go anymore.... Most folks will not read the manuel and will just assume the product is broke. I would not want to be in their tech support staff right now....  :idiot:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate