Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
465 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

PMDG NGx early reports-impressions-bugs?

Started by Maurice, August 08, 2011, 09:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I am starting a new topic here to discuss what people are finding if they tried the NGx whether on a desktop or on a flight deck

So here are my first impressions.

Quote from: blueskydriver on August 06, 2011, 11:45:54 PM

Knowing there is a lot more to this new plane, but the sound observation is for sure a stand out...

BSD

Well, I took your word and others as well about the sound quality and I bought the program just for the sounds. So here are my findings so far:

1. Engine sounds are indeed very good & much better than the standard 800, especially the reversers sounds

2. Many sounds cannot be heard; here are a few

[GEAR_UP_WARNING_SOUND]
filename=PMDG737NGX_J1
flags=0
viewpoint=1
maximum_volume=10

[STALL_WARNING]
filename=PMDG737NGX_J4
flags=0
viewpoint=1
maximum_volume=10

[OVERSPEED_WARNING_SOUND]
filename=PMDG737NGX_J3
flags=0
viewpoint=1
maximum_volume=10

[AP_DISENGAGE_SOUND]
filename=PMDG737NGX_J2
flags=0
viewpoint=1
maximum_volume=10

If you play these with media player, you hear nothing as well and I am wondering if these sounds require a proprietary PMDG audio player.

Other sounds such as landing gear, flaps, touchdown... play in media player but I cannot hear them while flying. Perhaps it is just a question of increasing the volume.

So, my early conclusion is that most of the NGx sounds are very good indeed but several will need to be fixed. This really surprises me based on the amount of testing that was done unless they only work with the full NGx package.

Very curious to hear whether anyone has tried it in a desktop yet and whether they can hear those sounds.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

Sounds like a special player is being used and they are tripping some of the sounds with their proprietary offsets. Sounds very proprietary to me.... We will see if I was wrong. So far does not look that way.

Maurice

Quote from: Bob Reed on August 08, 2011, 09:35:22 AM
Sounds like a special player is being used and they are tripping some of the sounds with their proprietary offsets. Sounds very proprietary to me.... We will see if I was wrong. So far does not look that way.

It does sound like that to me but I'm still glad I bought the program. Unless I'm wrong, the sound.cfg file will need to be edited and the 'missing' sounds may need to be replaced by original or other sounds.

Probably lots of work but for sure I will keep the engine sounds as they are much better than what I had before.

Maurice

dharrison

You can bet that it's internal to the simulation itself and needs the panel to work.

Don

Maurice

Quote from: dharrison on August 08, 2011, 10:04:17 AM
You can bet that it's internal to the simulation itself and needs the panel to work.

Don

Absolutely. I just noticed that they have a PMDG folder inside the sound folder in FSX (the one just below the root FSX folder). Inside that folder, there are lots of sound files, much more that in the sound folder inside the airplane folder.

So, it will take lots of time to figure all this out for sure and see what sounds can and cannot be used.

Maurice

Nick1150

Hi to all,

Few hours ago I purchased and installed the base NGX package in my sim. The install was straight forward even though I didnt like the fact that during installation you have to install together with the package, one or two c++ files which most Probably must be needed for the NGX somehow. I am generally very causious when installing software that I do not know what it does. Anyway, it seems that everything is ok now, and nothing was harmed.

After choosing the 737-800 NGX it was understood from the begining that it sounds good, meaning that the sound package is indeed the best I have ever tried, and believe me I have strugled many hours in the past for the best sound package for me. So yes the sound is excelent.

PM software and NGX are not so good friends in my opinion, and it is something that enrico must deal with. The MCP works fine, but I only made a test flight around Athens, so I cannot know for sure. What I am really sure is that the flaps do not work at all , with my rsp tq flaps do not change. Another strange thing is that my leobodnard card switches also didnt work, but thats in my opinion is a fsuipc4 thing...

I did a test flight and it feels good, but I cannot see a huge differrence from my tweaked default b 737-800, so till PM releases a new update for the NGX I am staying with my good old 737....

It is a great desktop aircraft thought...

My 2 c

Nick
Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

Bob Reed

PM wont be releasing anything for the NGX package. Nothing works because they don't use standard offsets and they do not put out the data any of the network software can use. All of their stuff is driven from within the software. They do this on purpose.

dharrison

From what I have read, you will not be able to have PM or SIM-A access these as they are reliant on FSUIPC offsets. Addiontally PMDG uses a revised default setup for configuing axises. They recommend that you configure your axis via FS not FSUIPC. So those who configure their stuff via FSUICP are up a creek.

Don

727737Nut

Quote from: dharrison on August 08, 2011, 12:10:13 PM
From what I have read, you will not be able to have PM or SIM-A access these as they are reliant on FSUIPC offsets. Addiontally PMDG uses a revised default setup for configuing axises. They recommend that you configure your axis via FS not FSUIPC. So those who configure their stuff via FSUICP are up a creek.

Don

Again,
WAY wrong! I have my TQ going through FSUIPC and it controls the NGX great!  Thats spoilers, including spoiler arm, trim, flaps, throttle and rev thrust.  I am even using FSUIPC to control functions with-in the NGX.  Ck out LINDA on the avsim forum, amazing!There is SO much bad info going around right now it is pitiful.  I think anything said from ANY 3rd party systems designer should be taken with a huge grain of salt.  Just my .02

Rob
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

Again time will tell. Enough people have this in their hands now that we should be getting more data. Rob, that is good but what about the rest of the sim?

727737Nut

The displays of course and cdu but engravity has already said that once they have the SDk they will release a driver to make their cdu's interface with the NGX.   Yesterday i flew 8hrs on the sim using the stock NGX with Prosim driving my displays.  I just input the route on both cdu's and it all worked fine.  I had my displays showing the route that the NGX was flying.  Not perfect but it hasn't even been 4 full days since release yet.  LOL

By the way, my wife talked me into keeping the pit, wasn't hard though! LOL  I WILL bw using most of this NGX though if not all of it. 

Rob
737 Junkie

Maurice

Quote from: 727737Nut on August 08, 2011, 12:42:14 PM

By the way, my wife talked me into keeping the pit, wasn't hard though! LOL  I WILL bw using most of this NGX though if not all of it. 

Rob

A very wise better half.  :) Welcome back to the madness.

Maurice

PMDGSounds

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for the compliments on the sounds - it took about 7 months to get them working like that.

Now in reference to the missing sounds - there is no need to worry about it.  The missing sounds you identified are behaving correctly - they are deliberately pointing to blank sounds files because all of the sound files you mentioned are included as part of the PMDG custom coding.  So we had to blank out the FSX versions so they would not "double play".  If you have a look in the PMDG custom sounds folders you will find over 400 individual sounds including the ones you believe are missing.

Also - one more point to add.  Many of the PMDG custom sounds, particularly switch sounds will not play in Windows Media player- not because they are a secret file format but only because the file length are REALLY short - this is to allow you to rapid click switches and the sounds will always trigger even though you click them very fast.  However, if you open these very short files in an audio editor, like Wavelab, then you can see and edit even these short sounds.

Thanks again for your comments!

Armen
PMDG Sound Engineer

jackpilot

Hi Armen

Would your intervention mean that the PMDG folks are reading our lines or is it a personal comment.
In any case, all the recent debate we had here would be much more constructive if we had the feeling that PMDG has some attention to cockpitbuilders needs.
As seen in the various posts on the subject, a lot of contradictory information has been circulated and it would be nice if you Guys could set it right.
I am not asking here for PMDG to change its strategy, just to give us the right info to use the product considering our special needs, if it can be used.
Our Community is a amazing pool of Flight Simulation knowledge and working together on development and applications has always been the way to go.
This Forum is non commercial, wide open to all, and you Guys are welcome.
Jack

Jack

Maurice

Hi Armen,

Thank you very much for joining in & explaining several things. I did find the PMDG sound folders with the 'missing' files just after my first post so I knew that the sounds were there in the full PMDG package. I didn't really believe they could have been missed after all the testing that was done, but I just did not know where they were at that time  :)

I just hope that I can figure out how to combine or replace some of the other default 800 sounds with PMDG sounds which are truly outstanding based on the engine sounds and the other sounds I played with media player.

Thankfully, the PMDG engine sounds are totally useable in a flight deck and I just love switching the engine reversers on just to listen to them. If that is all that I can use in a flight deck that would still justify buying the software.

Congratulations for creating these great sounds. Hopefully some developers will be able to integrate some of the other PMDG features so that we can use them in our flight decks.

To echo what Jack said, I am sure PMDG knows that the market for their software is not just desktop simmers but also the ever growing crowd of flight deck builders who are hungry for such an outstanding flight package. So helping 'integrators' would be a win-win situation.

Best regards,

Maurice

B737-HH

Hi Armen,

Thank you for your post! I am an old customer of the PMDG 737NG for FS2004 and used it with my homecockpit perfectly. Now I've switched this year to FSX and tried to use the old PMDG 737NG, but I have less problems with the default one. I'll probably buy the NGX in the next few days, cause of the sounds. But I would also pay an additional fee, for a version witout panels and exterior design to use with PM or SIM A software. You should change the code easily for this requirement. I can understand that you do not want to share an open flight model. But a flight model, which only work with your code and that works again only with a valid license could that be a way?

Best Regards
Jan

blueskydriver

Hello Jan,

Not speaking for Armen, but since he is a sound engineer, its not likely that he can help you with your request. However, us other builders could and in doing so, what exactly have you done that the PMDG 737NG for FS9 does not work in FSX for you?

If it is matter of stripping it down and knowing where to put the folders, that is no problem at all. You'll find that this is a pretty common task that so many others have done, so a search of this forum should provide that information. If not, send a PM for more help...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

B737-HH

Hi BSD,

thanks for your hint! As I sad I´ve had "less" problems with the default 737 and not only problems with the PMDG 737NG ;-)

My post to Armen were just my thoughts - and meant less asking.

Regards
Jan

PMDGSounds

Thanks for the replies guys.

To be honest, being the sound guy means I have had my hands full with only sound related items.  I don't know too much about SDKs - I presume it would allow a cockpit builder to interface with the NGX systems - you see, im just a mere keyboard and mouse guy! :)

Right now, our focus is getting the guys with panel freezes and other technical issues sorted before moving onto release the Paint Kit and the SDK, so I hope it won't be long before Robert makes a statement about the current state of affairs.

Thanks again.

blueskydriver

Armen,

Thanks for all your hard work, as the sounds thus far, are the best ever heard in FSX!

Glad you mentioned the paint kit and SDK; mainly the SDK. I've tried forum postings, private messages to Ryan, and even a support ticket to ask one simple question.

Will the SDK be given to regular users/customers or not?

A simple Yes or No will suffice... Maybe, you could ask Ryan to clarify this once and for all. Because it doesn't really matter when it gets released, but more importantly, whom it gets released too.

Once the answer is known, it will give some of the cockpit builders a sigh of relief, if it is a Yes answer. The SDK will likely be the best thing that PMDG could ever do; it would be like MSFS not releasing SimConnect or FSUIPC being only for developers if is not released to us.

Again, thank you for answering the questions in this forum and for becoming a member...

Blueskydriver
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

727737Nut

John,

I posted that question in the NGX forum and Ryan answered it already , YES YES YES YES YES, it will be available to ANYONE!  Below is his quote to my question/ your question.  There, answered, done, from the horses mouth! :)

From Ryan at PMDG
Anyone will be able to download it - whether you can use it or not is going to be up to whether you know how to program drivers. The SDK is not something that magically makes the custom functions in the plane work with any hardware - that can't exist.

Also noticed you replied to it already in the Avsim forum!?????  Was Ryan not clear enough in the above statement?

Rob
737 Junkie

blueskydriver

Sorry Rob, that is so strange. Didn't read "Anyone" when I first saw his reply. I know it sounds funny, but I honestly did not see that... My mistake!

Well then, that answers the question and thus, just wait till it comes out...

I sent my apolgy to Ryan in the PMDG forum. Additionally, thank you for pointing this out too me. It certainly is a relief to know this.

Thank you

John

727737Nut

No worries, time will tell on how much the SDK will help.

Rob
737 Junkie

Bob Reed

I am sure one of the fine folks here will be able to make heads or tales out of it... Now if it will help or not, like Rob says, time will tell.

Nat Crea

Mau or anyone...!

Have you figured out how to strip the NGX of the panel and associated logic
and still keep sounds???

Nat

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate