Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
451 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 451
Total: 451

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Real 737 TQ conversion (updated 11/13)

Started by 727737Nut, September 20, 2011, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

727737Nut

Follow along as I convert a customers real 737 throttle quadrant for use in his flight simulator.  It will be fully motorized and offer the durability of REAL internal Boeing parts and select aftermarket parts to make it fully compatible with FSX.

1st stage is disassembly  and cleaning, see pics below. I many more if someone needs to see them for reference.

Rob

[smg id=90]
[smg id=91]
[smg id=94]
[smg id=93]
[smg id=92]

Below is picture of the Clutch set-up and chain drive gear. This will allow movement of the handle with the motor engaged as well as the correct amount of force needed to move the lever as in the real plane.

[smg id=111]

737 Junkie

Trevor Hale

Rob. This is insane. I love it. Please post as much of the progress as you can. I cant wait to watch this progress.

Thanks a bundle.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

After you remove the electrical components, wouldn't it be possible to just hot tank and steam clean one of these so disassembly wasn't required?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

727737Nut

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on September 21, 2011, 04:37:23 AM
After you remove the electrical components, wouldn't it be possible to just hot tank and steam clean one of these so disassembly wasn't required?

Yes, you could do it that way as well but when you disassemble it this way it allows more room to mock up the set-up and install certain components.  It actually isn't that hard to take apart once you have done one.  Quite enjoyable if I must say. :)
Rob
737 Junkie

NeoMorph

Looking at that second picture and how gross it is inside has put me off flying in real life. Don't they ever clean the things after the leave the factory? I know the strip the engines down but if the TQ has a problem then it doesn't matter what state the engines are in.

I'm not a coward but looking at that TQ just gives me the shivers.  ???
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

727737Nut

My first real sim was a real 737 shell, no don't clean in most areas in the cockpit. Lol!  In fact it is a modern wonder/slash miracle how these millions of parts from rivets to resistors even fly. A mere 1/8" of aluminium seperates you from comfort and death!  Wow! - stared at that cockpit daily for a few years in pure amazement at the engineering.
737 Junkie

NeoMorph

Actually it explains why real certified plane parts are so expensive.  The are expensive because they are made to stand a beating for many years to come. When you realise the age of some of these planes it is a wonder they are flying anyway. Lets face it, the engineers must have done a wonderful job to keep them airworthy for so long.

All hail the engineers!   :D
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

727737Nut

I have motors on the way for the lever's.  More pics soon.
737 Junkie

kondrat

Hi Rob,

Your polyclutch.jpg is not loading for some reason. Can you check?

Thanks a lot,

Denis
Boeing 777-200LR project
http://www.flikr.com/project777

727737Nut

Below are some pictures of the trim wheel motor installed and the Park Brake release actuator installed.

[smg id=116]
[smg id=115]
[smg id=114]
737 Junkie

jackpilot

Good work Rob...
Keep the pics coming..
Jack

Jack

727737Nut

Here are the Lever drive motors with the Polyclutch installed and #25 chain drive gear installed.

[smg id=117]
737 Junkie

727737Nut

Here is a picture of the Park Brake Lever now attached to solenoid that snaps the park brake off when you tap the toe brakes.

[smg id=118]

Here is the Spoiler lever side of TQ painted and Park brake Lamp cover installed.

[smg id=119]

[smg id=120]

Below you will see the Spoiler Light plate cleaned, touched up and installed. I have reassembled the Inner workings of the TQ in preparation for installation of drive cables and motors.

[smg id=127]

[smg id=128]

[smg id=129]

[smg id=130]
737 Junkie

727737Nut

Here are 2 pictures of before and after on the flaps lever cover and touched up light plate which was in bad shape.  I also had to fill in the hole left by the removal of the stab trim lamp.

[smg id=132]

[smg id=133]

Here is picture of the trim motor and chain drive installed.  Works great! #35 roller chain and 10t drive gear.

[smg id=131]

737 Junkie

matta757

Rob,

What hardware/software setup will you be using to drive the TQ motors? I ask because I am at bit of a road block and since you are also using DC motors, just wondering how you're going to do it.

Thanks,
Matt

P.S.- Brilliant pictures, quite amazing to see

Flying_Fox

The progress is unbelievable. 2 weeks ago it was just a dirty box and look at it now!

XOrionFE

kondrat

Thanks Rob for your progress pictures and information provided!

Great Job, very useful information. More pictures for motorized mechanism!

Thanks a lot,

Denis
Boeing 777-200LR project
http://www.flikr.com/project777

jackpilot

Jack

727737Nut

Quote from: matta757 on October 02, 2011, 05:28:27 PM
Rob,

What hardware/software setup will you be using to drive the TQ motors? I ask because I am at bit of a road block and since you are also using DC motors, just wondering how you're going to do it.

Thanks,
Matt

P.S.- Brilliant pictures, quite amazing to see

Matt,

This project will be using a custom designed Interface from Smart Sim Tech that will handle all in/outs and motor drivers all in one usb card!  Talk to Tyler if you would like more info.

Rob 
737 Junkie

dnoize

Quote from: 727737Nut on October 02, 2011, 04:13:57 PM

Here is picture of the trim motor and chain drive installed.  Works great! #35 roller chain and 10t drive gear.

[smg id=131]

What an excellent job !

does that chain fit the original Trim chain wheels of the throttle ?
I'm currently having my real TQ motorized and cant find a fitting chain (and chain wheel for the motor end) here in holland.

Stef

727737Nut

Quote from: dnoize on October 04, 2011, 10:54:13 AM
Quote from: 727737Nut on October 02, 2011, 04:13:57 PM

[smg id=131]

What an excellent job !

does that chain fit the original Trim chain wheels of the throttle ?
I'm currently having my real TQ motorized and cant find a fitting chain (and chain wheel for the motor end) here in holland.

Stef

Stef,
Yes, that is correct. It uses the original chain sprocket which is #35 chain here in the USA.  The motor sprocket can be from 10t to 15t depending on RPM of motor being used. I used a small gearhead motor due to space but a larger remote mounted motor could be used also.

Rob
737 Junkie

727737Nut

Got the lever drive motors installed today.  Waiting on the string -pots and custom pulley bracket to arrive.

[smg id=153]

[smg id=154]
737 Junkie

ekznamu

Rob,

nice work, where did you get the clutches ? I'm looking for them a long time.

Uwe

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate