Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
462 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 462
Total: 462

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Real 737 TQ conversion (updated 11/13)

Started by 727737Nut, September 20, 2011, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

727737Nut

Quote from: ekznamu on October 04, 2011, 09:56:55 PM
Rob,

nice work, where did you get the clutches ? I'm looking for them a long time.

Uwe

Ployclutch.com then use the link to find a dealer nearest to you.  Also there are a few mail order places that have them but they were actually higher priced. 

Rob
737 Junkie

jackpilot

Not to hijack Rob's post Check my new post on Polyclutch.
Jack

Jack

ekznamu

Thank you both, an excellent source for that stuff.

It's not easy to appreciate the force needed to transmit the power.

Rob, what kind of clutch did you use for the lever driver motors ?
Would be SAS20 a good choice ?

Thanks
Uwe

727737Nut

Hello,
I used the SAO20-8mm   I think it is important to have the adjustable one to compensate for different variables in the installation.  The SAS20 would probably work but again it depends on how your lever system is built.

Rob
737 Junkie

dnoize

Quote from: 727737Nut on October 04, 2011, 11:55:46 AMStef,
Yes, that is correct. It uses the original chain sprocket which is #35 chain here in the USA.  The motor sprocket can be from 10t to 15t depending on RPM of motor being used. I used a small gearhead motor due to space but a larger remote mounted motor could be used also.

Rob

Thanks a million !!

Time to source a # 35 chain in the US then !

Thanks again

Stef

727737Nut

Just a quick update, had to order new motors as the ones i had did not work good enough for my standards.  I did get the rest of the light plates cleaned and tested and completed the painting.  Motors should arrive tomorrow so more progress soon.

Rob
737 Junkie

727737Nut

Well I finally got the new motors installed for the throttle levers.  Turned out really good with the chain to cable hardware I used.  With 5vdc applied to motors, the levers move nice and smooth!!
Next up is the string pot install and then the spoiler lever drive and trim indicator drive. The 3rd pic is of the trim indicators and upper side panels.  Compare to original pic above in 1st post.  Just a slight improvement. :)

Rob

[smg id=185]

[smg id=186]

[smg id=187]
737 Junkie

Nat Crea

Bloody unreal Rob!

Where the f--k did you get the trim indicators panels?
I have one nice one and one crappy one on my -300 TQ

Nat

727737Nut

Thanks guys!  Nat, those are far from perfect.  ;)  I just touch of the edges and clean them really well. 

I got the String pot's installed on the levers. Working on Flaps now.  Post more pic's later today.

Rob
737 Junkie

hexpope

Hey Rob,

Your doing a fantastic job. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product and up and running. You will post a video of it when it's finished ?

727737Nut

OK, Got the string pot's installed.  As usual, they were easy to install and work flawlessly! :)  The flaps pot turned out really nice. I may redo my own now. lol   As always, I have more pics if anyone needs them for reference.  The cable I use is 1/16" 7x7 wire rope.  I install a lead ball (aka sinker) around cable and drive/wedge into original location on lever wheels. Then route cables around pullys to the motor/clutches.  Simple and tough. 

[smg id=188]

[smg id=189]

Here a couple of pics of the TQ reassembled.  I think it looks pretty good compared to the original photo of the TQ when i got it.  Hope Nick is pleased.  Lots of man hours getting it to this stage. I have a few touch-ups to do and finish wiring and spoiler servo install.  Getting closer now. :)

[smg id=190]

[smg id=191]
737 Junkie

727737Nut

I just wanted to add that although it looks like new, that is exactly what I didn't want. In person it looks like a used but in good shape, 737 throttle. I don't want a so new it looks like a toy thing. lol  It maintains it's personality that way.  Just like in a real plane where things are touched up by hand if at all. 

Rob
737 Junkie

XOrionFE

Rob,

Your work is absolutely incredible!   Cant wait to get mine over to you!

Scott

hexpope

Either way Rob, your work on that TQ is great. As I said before I can't wait to see it in action working like the real thing. Totally profesional job. Fair play !

Flying_Fox

Rob, I can't say enough to  praise, and it's only looking at the pictures now!  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:
I bet when I get it it will look even better. Exquisite work!

Thanks a million,
Nick

Alexandrite

This is looking so fantastic :)

Couldn't believe the dirt in there in the very beginning!

fsedano

Hi,

Your job looks fantastic!!! I'm going thru the same process, and I'm just stuck on how to remove the trim wheels. Can you post some pics / tips?

Also, I'm located in Switzerland, and I find difficult to find required mecanical pieces (motors, chain sprockets...) Would you have some pointers on where did you buy them? Maybe I can order online. I saw another colleague here on the forum from NL, maybe we could even order a batch of pieces and share costs.

Thanks!!!

(btw, my project page, sightly outdated: www.fransedano.net)

Quote from: 727737Nut on September 20, 2011, 03:28:16 PM
Follow along as I convert a customers real 737 throttle quadrant for use in his flight simulator.  It will be fully motorized and offer the durability of REAL internal Boeing parts and select aftermarket parts to make it fully compatible with FSX.

727737Nut

Hi all, 
A couple more pictures, got the servo's installed for the Spoiler Arm and Trim indicator.  Any questions feel free to ask. 
Rob

[smg id=226]

[smg id=227]
737 Junkie

Efe

Quote from: fsedano on October 28, 2011, 07:52:24 AM
Hi,

Your job looks fantastic!!! I'm going thru the same process, and I'm just stuck on how to remove the trim wheels. Can you post some pics / tips?

Also, I'm located in Switzerland, and I find difficult to find required mecanical pieces (motors, chain sprockets...) Would you have some pointers on where did you buy them? Maybe I can order online. I saw another colleague here on the forum from NL, maybe we could even order a batch of pieces and share costs.

Thanks!!!

(btw, my project page, sightly outdated: www.fransedano.net)

[/quote

You can try Farnell.ch, that was where I got all my cockpit building parts when I was living in Switzerland.

fsedano

Hi guys,

Trying also to convert a real 737 TQ, but stuck dismantling it. It seems it's not exactly same version as on these pics.

I'm stuck with removing central axis, the big nuts just rotate but they don't come off. Any ideas?

This is current state:

http://www.fransedano.net/?p=297

Any help is welcome ;-)

727737Nut

Did you try holding one while turning the other? 
737 Junkie

fsedano

Yep - They are independent on each other. See

http://www.fransedano.net/?p=312

It's not one long axis, but two halves. As far as I see, for even changing the throttle cable everything must be dismantled? Can't be so difficult...

727737Nut

Did you try holding the inner tube while turning the outer nut? It looks like there 2 slots to keep the inner tube from turning while rotating the large outer nut.  That tube is full width, trust me.
737 Junkie

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate