Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
487 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 487
Total: 487

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Real 737 TQ conversion (updated 11/13)

Started by 727737Nut, September 20, 2011, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcnam

Hi Rob,
Great job on the TQ...simple and rugged but innovative.

For us newbies, is there any chance you could list the motors, stringpots, servos etc. that you used. The exact part number and supplier would be great. I know you are busy and I completely understand if you don't have time. I'm just starting to convert mine and I'm at a loss how to choose some of these without plain ol' trial and error. Of course, if someone already knows what works, I would rather go with that. Forgive me if this is listed elsewhere...I've searched and haven't found any particulars yet.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your conversion. It helps a great deal to a whole bunch of us!

Best regards,
Tim McNamara MD

727737Nut

Here are part numbers you need for the string pots and poly clutches.
http://unimeasure.com/   LX-PA-4.7     (this is the 4.7" string pot for
the flaps) LX-PA-10 for throttle levers

A&A Manufacturing 262-786-1500
Polyclutches Part# SAO20-8mm  (note:8mm only if you get the motors I show you,
otherwise must match motor shaft diameter)  you need 2 of them

Motors,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crouzet-Reversible-High-Torque-Gearhead-Motor-/160706868866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256ae03682
737 Junkie

tmcnam

Thanks Rob,
This is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to put this together and it will be in one place for future reference!

Best Regards,
Tim

Rodney

Where is the pricing for the pots?  I always fear that when they aren't easy to find or not evident, they are way out of my price range.

727737Nut

They are 160.00 each unless you buy more than 5 or 6, can't remember
737 Junkie

Nat Crea

Great motors Rob!

Im using power window motors, similar, but one has a worn worm gear
and is really s#*@ing me :) I think Ill grab those

Thanks,

Nat

fordgt40

Rob

I recalled this excellent thread and as I have recently bought a real 737 throttle, I returned to the forum to reread it.
Sadly, I cannot access any of the attached pictures - keep getting the message "Sorry you are not allowed to view this file"

Trevor

Is this a forum issue or have I done something wrong?

Regards

David

Flying_Fox

Hi David,

I can't see them either, however I can repost pictures, and since this TQ is on my work table now (doing the interfacing) I can make you any picture you want.  ;)

Nick

fordgt40

Nick

That is great, many thanks
I have PM`d you

Regards

David

sobsidian

Hi Nick,

I would greatly appreicate if you could re-post those pictures. I will be starting my conversion in the next few weeks. I am still researching and looking for the complete parts list.

Thanks,
Shawn

davjones

I've given some thought to how I can make this request without sounding like a whiny worm or whatever, and haven't come up with much, so I'll just give it my best shot.

The thing is that this thread is of very intense interest to many of us -- note 11,000+ views! -- and it's such a pity that it got broken up and the pictures separated and some missing.  Rob, I sincerely appreciate that you reposted most of the images after whatever happened happened, but I only see 14, far fewer than in the original thread. 

I wonder if, in view of the very wide interest, one of the moderators would be willing to somehow reconstruct the thread, possibly making it a .pdf file that could be uploaded somewhere?  Or, at a minimum, would you, Rob, please post the other photos?  Sequence is not important; I'm pretty sure we could match them up to the text after the fact.  In fact, if I had the photos, I could probably reconstruct it myself in the form of a Word document, and put it where ever y'all think would be good.   Or I could just email it out on request.  The main point is that the thread deserves to be seen in its entirety.

I suppose I'm especially sensitive to the missing photos at the moment because my TQ arrived last week, and I'm anxious to start breaking it down for a lot (!) of cleaning, light lubrication, and to start examining conversion options.  But I'd much rather do that with some of Rob's vast experience, knowledge and wisdom behind me before I get too far into it.

Somewhat related, has anybody ever found any exploded parts diagrams or any other material that would help with this exercise?

Many thanks to Rob and the site hosts for making this thread  -- and so many others -- possible.  Fantastic hobby, fantastic online community!

...Dave

Dave Jones
Fort McCoy,  Florida

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.   -- Henry Ford

727737Nut

Dave,
Thanks for the kind words.  I will do my best to find the photo's tomorrow.  I will update you the progress but please note I am on call this weekend for work so I may not get to it till sunday or monday.

Rob
737 Junkie

mickc

Quote from: davjones on March 07, 2014, 03:12:41 PM

Somewhat related, has anybody ever found any exploded parts diagrams or any other material that would help with this exercise?

Its not for the full TQ, just the throttle section.  The TQ is spread across several parts catalogs depending on the the system, so the trim, flaps and speed brake section is in the flight controls PM,  park brake is in the Landing gear PM etc ...

This is for the 300-400-500 series

davjones

Rob,

Many thanks for your offer to hunt the missing photos.  Please understand that there's no hurry for this.  If you'd like, you can just send them to me and I'll re-assemble the thread.  Least I can do!  Then we'd just have to figure out where to put it, but as I said, I could just e-mail it to anybody on request.  I think you probably already have my email from our earlier discussions.  If not, let me know.

Mick,
That's a great help and I appreciate it.  I understand perfectly what you mean about it being spread out -- a lot of different things come together at the TQ!   As for it being from a 300/400/500, that's exactly what I want.  Mine is from an early -300, and that's also the sim I propose to build.

Many thanks to both of you!

...Dave

Dave Jones
Fort McCoy,  Florida  USA

davjones

Rob -

Further to this TQ thread, did you have to drill a big mess of rivets to get the radio box separated?  The only screws I see on mine are 10 at the upper front in front of the fire panel.  Well, would be in front of the fire panel if I had one.  :)   Actually, considering how most of the screws are, drilling rivets might be just as easy...

I see there are several different varieties of these things, and mine is the only one I've seen that's most like yours.  I'm almost sure this one's out on an early -300, though I've not been able to ID it positively...

...Dave

727737Nut

Dave
There are indeed several rivets that need drilled out.  It goes quick since they are not steel rivets.

Rob
737 Junkie

davjones

Yeah, I breathed easier when I saw that they're just aluminum.   Tricky part will be to get a good punch mark right in the middle.   What I didn't see at first was that there are also a bunch of nut plates that are riveted right through where the bottom of side covers attach.

Thanks for your lightning quick reply, Rob.  Didn't want to start drilling till I was sure that there wasn't something else obvious that I missed.  You're always a great help to all of us.

...Dave 

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate