Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 02:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
13 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

I Wonder Who Will Be First With A 787 Dreamliner Cockpit

Started by NeoMorph, September 29, 2011, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

That would be a major construction challenge I would think... Looks more like Star Trek than Boeing.

Now I've said that I am a steam gauge fan but the 787 cockpit is a freakin work of art. The rest of the plane looks amazing as well. I would be scared to fly on the thing though what with those bendy wings.

But back on topic... I wonder who will be the first to build their own 787 trainer... and how long it will be. Boeings are simmed all over the world so it's going to be a race to see who does it I would think.

Or is there one out there all ready?  ???
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Kennair

Yes John, good point.  It's certainly a glass cockpit lovers dream but maybe requiring more fibreglass moulding skills than timber moulding given the curved lines involved.  However if you look at the layout its not much more than a sexed up 777 :)  I'm sure Sim-A could do some minor tweaking of their 777 software to replicate it too ;)  Given my 777 sim is being done in Boeing gray I am certainly looking at the possiblity of incorporating some 87 style into it.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

NeoMorph

I was just looking at the building of a 787 professional simulator and found these guys who have one and there was also a time lapse of a 777 sim being installed in time lapse (see below)... the screen is actually on TOP of the darn cockpit, over the pilots heads. The image is then shone onto a big curved mirror.

Is that a collimated display?

Start looking at 3:30

Time lapse CAE full flight Simulator

But yeah, you are right that the 787 would need a LOT of fibreglass work.

The one thing that makes me think is what will it look like after five years hard service? After seeing some of the gunk in the cockpits that the guys here have bought it makes me wonder how it will look. Will it be another tower tenements from the 60's that looked great when built but turned into a right mess after a couple of decades.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

ian@737ng.co.uk

hi chaps.....
well i am aware of one 787 in the planning (no not here)  ;D  ;D  ;D
and the video was really cool.
have a great day chaps

ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

fordgt40

FDS did it almost  two years ago, though they probably do not count  :)

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4104

David

fdspcos

Just to interject. Flightdeck Solutions has been supplying Boeing with Marketing and Lab Devices for over 4 years now.
We were under NDA from the start right up until the real aircraft was "Wheels Up".
Likely a bigger challenge to keep quiet than to actually build the units!
You can see the latest device shipped to Seattle this past Spring here on our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.144024999011057.39064.132045726875651&type=1

We could build a full FBPT at any point from all the development. Software is started and was used on a related Boeing contract that Mark/Sim-A and I put did this summer.
Nice to see the 787 flying and in service. Everyone we worked with on the 787 project on the Boeing side was a pleasure to deal with.
The most humble group of people ever.
All the best guys!
Peter Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Ltd

Jetcos

I look forward to building another B787 here at FDS.  They look amazing and the layout is amazing with the large screens. Changes your impression on a "Glass Flightdeck".
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

kondrat

Yep, looks great. One day when I finished with 777 ....

Thanks Peter and Steve.
Boeing 777-200LR project
http://www.flikr.com/project777

rprather

Hey Pete, I think I saw a glimpse of your Dreamliner setup on an NBC special "Dreamliner." Great looking stuff man and congrats on the expansion!

Nat Crea

:( I break out into a cold sweat when I look at those FDS 787 pics...
serously....voices in my head...

"Do it..."
"No! Go away evil Sim Devil..."
"Do it...."

Nat  ;D

jackpilot

Actually Nat , I think that some of us had the same inclination, I for one!
Could stop dead cold my new 737 and talk to Pete.
The worst part is that he would say...OK !when? :laugh:

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate