Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
472 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 497
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 472
Total: 472

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

How Do You Guys Focus?

Started by NeoMorph, September 30, 2011, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

My sister calls me a "faffer". That means I tend to flit from one thing to another too much and lose focus on what I'm working on. I'm sure she calls me other things but that's probably the politest term.

For example this week I have worked on various LED backlighting options and light/colour bleeding. I've also worked on creating a system that makes the buttons behave like they do on a real panel. I also received Mike Powell's "Building Recreational Flight Simulators" this week so got trying out some of the stuff in there. I then cut some aluminium back plates for my overhead panels (and cut myself and bled on Mike's book already). I also took delivery of some knobs from Nebraska that I had looked the world over for so I went to mock up some Collins NAV radios but stopped myself half way.

The problem is that my brain runs away with itself trying to work out various solutions. I can be working on one thing and figure out a solution to something I was working on the other day so I have to go and try it.

Because of this I've been amazed at how fast this year has gone and not a lot has been done on my actual sim... I have managed to learn a lot though. I just wish I had bought Mike's book sooner.

I really need to learn how to focus...through working on prototypes (some worked, some failed dismally) to working with a theoretical system plan that has evolved several times over the last year. My problem is I want to include as much as possible which makes life harder. I'm basically trying to do a tiny portion of what a bunch of engineers worked several man years on. Maybe I should have done a 737 after all.. At least there is a lot of support out there for those sims unlike my chosen plane.

Sorry for the waffle... Just a view of a prospective sim maker who is fighting to get his sim working right and having problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

727737Nut

Normal SIM builder way of thinking!  Join the club as I am the same way.  I get about 10-20 thoughts going.  LOL
737 Junkie

Garys

Yes its very normal. We have so much that needs to be accomplished that its hard to stay disciplined. Not only that but there are jobs that are more enjoyable to do than others so we tend to gravitate towards those as well.
Trying to complete the mip, before moving onto the pedestal etc is the best way but its easier said than done.

Although it seems a complete planning mess, if you stick at it, all will be done. Even with the best intentions, building a flightdeck is a multi year project, so enjoy yourself and dont forget to fly along the way as well.

Gary

NeoMorph

My ToDo list has grown so damned big this year that  my brain is going "OMG" whenever I look at it. The one thing I know I have to do is complete my circuit documentation because with my memory I will not be able to keep track of everything. I've got an Excel spreadsheet that will list every connection for when I need to do updates in the future you see.

Another thing I've done a lot of this year is research. Even down to watching how the individual buttons move. Now that sounds a bit OTT but it helps towards immersion (and I am a BIG fan of immersion).

I'm waiting on some bits from one contact, panels from Ruscool, welding from another friend and parts galore that I have collected ready to assemble so it's getting done. I can't wait to get it all working but will probably take another couple of years at my rate. Will be worth it though.

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

mikeh

I'm not the fastest developer - but to ensure I get to a 'goal' on a regular basis (i need wins for motivation!) - I break each aspect into
Research and thoughts
software design
prototyping
testing by using in FS
improving logic via hardware / software
building the physical frame
integrating frame and components
testing via flying use on every flight
documentation

Any project item can only be in 1 category at a time - helps with the 80/20 rule and project can go back to previous stages if necessary - but that means no work on any other category for that item
This allows work to proceed on say Captains instruments, engine panel, autopilot control and MIP all at the same time but also ensures that supposedly finished items (engine panel) etc are tested each time i take a flight and if there were issues I could go back to solve. It also critically tests various items coming together and interactions that become apparent
ATR72 build project

NeoMorph

I actually started on my rudder pedals back in January... gone through four versions I wasn't happy with and still not complete (although I now have all the bits I need to finish them off).

So I went onto the Throttle Quad and then decided that I needed some welding done to stop the knobs being loose and rattly and the indicators being authentic... waiting on a friend for that (who has a family and his own business so those come first).

Then I went onto the overhead... Bought the lot from Ruscool and spotted a few minor design errors that Ruscool are sorting out... so waiting for those to come back. In the meantime I've been finalising the circuitry and hardware ready for work on the real things.

Those are just three things and hold-ups forced me onto other stages. Add into the fact that some weeks I can't do anything due to severe pain from my joints or the meds are knocking me for six and it gets frustration as hell. I really did think it was just me so hearing that you other guys suffer with it too is actually helpful.

Misery loves company and all that... :D

DaveC

I think it really helps if you have a friend who is also a cockpit builder and you help each other out (completely one sided in my case!).  This really is an isolationist hobby, because I think for most people, the nearest builder might be hundreds of miles away.  Forums like this are what make cockpit building possible for most of us.  Trying to troubleshoot a problem, or figure something out on your own is really frustrating sometimes, so having someone to help work through the problems is really helpful.  Helps keep you focused and on track.

Dave C.

jackpilot

As Maurice said it before, going into non urgent small projects means that we are in fact reluctant to tackle the bigger ones...like building the MIP structure or the shell.
We all do that!  :D

Jack

NeoMorph

Quote from: DaveC on October 01, 2011, 09:59:55 AM
I think it really helps if you have a friend who is also a cockpit builder and you help each other out (completely one sided in my case!).  This really is an isolationist hobby, because I think for most people, the nearest builder might be hundreds of miles away.  Forums like this are what make cockpit building possible for most of us.  Trying to troubleshoot a problem, or figure something out on your own is really frustrating sometimes, so having someone to help work through the problems is really helpful.  Helps keep you focused and on track.

Dave C.

This is so true. I thought I would be on my own making my ATR sim but I am actually in contact with a guy in Italy (I'm in the UK) who is doing work on the software (which I will be helping on at a later date). The Flight1 ATR is OK but missing a lot of functionality for a cockpit builder. What we have planned is removing bit by bit and replacing it with better and more functional software until we have a fully working ATR 72-500.

But I must say that without this guys help I would have been stuck just using the Flight1 version. No failures (other than the software crashing), only partial interface linkage etc etc.

The project has just grown like a mutant since last October...

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate