Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 07:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
717 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 717
Total: 717

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

NTHUSIM and Making Silly Errors

Started by blueskydriver, October 14, 2011, 08:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Been working on changing the projector alignments because the horizon was to low, and that was due to the projector mounts being 8 inches long or so we thought.

After taking the projectors down and making them shorter with some jerry rigging, we went back into this thinking that the horizon would now be higher; well, it was. However, here is the silly error we made.

Back when we setup NTHUSIM we did it based on the screen height and width, so that first horizontal line in the configuration of NTHUSIM was lower than normal, and then we figured, okay our projectors are too low and the mounts too long. Now, back to today, while looking at the configuration, it never dawned on us to just move the first horizontal line up higher! We did that and guess what? All the work we just did to change the projectors was a waste. If only we just redid the configuration of NTHUSIM and brought that first line up and started from there for the rest of the alignments...AAAGGGHHH! It's one of those "PULL OUT YOUR HAIR" moments!

Anyway, thought we pass this story onto the next person who is getting deeper into the insanity. Speaking of that, when you did the edge blending, what is with the thin black lines showing? We see the blur effect, but now a thin black line shows, which makes no sense at all.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on October 14, 2011, 08:21:12 AM

Anyway, thought we pass this story onto the next person who is getting deeper into the insanity. Speaking of that, when you did the edge blending, what is with the thin black lines showing? We see the blur effect, but now a thin black line shows, which makes no sense at all.

BSD

Long shot and you probably already know that but did you check the box that says "Crop borders from undocked windows" ?

And just for curiousity since I chose not to bother with edge blending, do you find that nightime flying is worse with edge blending due to a wider lighter stripe in between projected views? I'm asking because someone else told me that the wide 'band' was much more visible when you used edge blending.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

DaveA320

Just a quick comment about the overlap with edge blending being brighter than the rest of the visuals. PC at FDS made a suggestion that I think solves this "extra brightness". You need to create some kind of "collar" around the lens of the projectors. I tried experimenting with a piece of paper held up to one side of the lens and sure enough this extra brightness dissapeared.

Now I just have to figure out how to make something that will do the trick.

Hey Maurice, you have a great workshop, how about it?  :)

Dave

Maurice

Quote from: DaveA320 on October 19, 2011, 03:23:25 PM

Hey Maurice, you have a great workshop, how about it?  :)

Dave

Sorry Dave but that's not going to happen. I'm trying very hard lately to let sleeping dogs lie and the edge blending is not important enough for me to fart around with projector position again  :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Hey Maurice and Dave,

Yeah, the sliver of brightness has been a problem and remembering that discussion about chokes or barn doors so to speak, and that they would prevent this. Because in the end, software edge blending is not what it should be.

The fact that you lose 20% from the side projectors is silly in itself. With blending, the edge of the projected images is about 1/2 coverage of the rear windows. However, if edge butting is used, then the image goes back well beyond the rear windows. As you're doing Maurice, we're doing the same. Even using the crop borders function; the best way is to use edge butting with NTHUSIM.

Although, there is a way to change this blending amount surely. If the blending area could be manipulated like Fly Elise-ng Immersive Display does, then NTHUSIM would work better. With Immersive Display you can set it to what you desire. We tried Immersive Display, but went back to NTHUSIM only because we were in the middle of the road on completing the screen setup and NTHUSIM released edge blending. Although, we didn't actually attempt edge blending until last week.

Now that we did attempt it and have seen the results, we're back in the middle of the road. We did just get an 8'x34' screen in the mail today, so we will eventually try to achieve success with NTHUSIM or Immersive Display. Still, wouldn't it be nice if someone did come up with some comb shaped barn doors that would make the solution a hardware one, as opposed to it being a software one? Yes, these items are available now, but at great cost. There should be and likely will be a cheap solution someday...

Dave is right, you have a shop Maurice? If only you could cookie cut these out of metal. Come to think of it, would it have to be metal? Could it be a plastic that can take heat. The area of the lens shouldn't be that hot, but better to plan for it.

Hey Scott if you're reading this, could you cutout something like this with your router/CAD? You remember all this talk from way back, when we all mostly hung out on FDS forum? The photos of these comb shapes are still there; maybe, we could find these. You have the same projectors we have here, so what do you say about coming up with something? And then, workout something for the model that Maurice is using, since his is a common choosen projector...

Thanks,

BSD

Maurice, you posted while typing, so leaving it for now is the best thing. We did do the readjustments here and it does take a great deal of time. Although, if a hardware solution comes, it would be worth trying once more; uh okay, we will likye try with the software once the screen goes up. We will post pictures of the screen once it's done. Rob is waiting to hear back on this, as well as others, so we'll get busy.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

I certainly could cut out of plastic on the CNC but really not sure what the design should be.  I tried once cutting some out of cardboard and holding up to the lens but gave up pretty quick as I just wanted to fly.   I haven't tackled edge blending either yet.   I am using NThusim and I also bought immersiview lite which I like setup wise better than NThusim however it seemed to crash the fsx computer whenever a window got messed with accidentally or during ASE updates and such so I went back to NThusim which seems to be bullet proof.  But not willing to give up all that screen real estate for edge blending either.

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate