Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 11:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
505 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 505
Total: 505

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Petes Brissy 737NG Build Update

Started by bnepethomas, January 10, 2012, 02:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnepethomas

Hi Guys

Well some progress over the holidays.  Using the Simworld MIP frame with FlyEngravity Glareshields (inc Fire/Caution and six pack recallrecall).  The Simworld MIP frame is built well, but shaped for sitting on a desktop, so some surgery was required to get it into the nose section.  As Simworld don't currently have a frame to support the MCP/EFIS a customised extension was needed to support the CP Flight MCP and EFIS.  Also had to do some minor surgery on the FDS CDU frame, but all in all I'm pretty happy on our things have come together from different manufacturers.

Thought I'd add some strengthening for good measure.

Also had to prune the glareshield to fit it in, a little nerve racking as I didn't what to bust  it and interesting things can happen when cutting plastic....  Mounted the six pack recall straight into the glareshield but decided that the fire and caution switches should sit on a panel so they can be extracted from the front.

Put it all back together tonight so I can start working on the panel lighting tomorrow.

And if you are wondering about some of the unusual patterns on the wood throughout the interior of the pit, its an old television cabinet.  The ultimate in recycling :)

Cheers

Peter

jackpilot

Amazing feat to match all these guys together.
Very nice result...now the real fun begins...screens, miles of wire, cards etc..
Nice pics
thank you

Jack

MLeavy737

Looks great!

I like that your building your own liners, something i plan to do as well. And your right, its always fun making things fit and work from different manufacturers!

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

tennyson

Hi Pete.

I'm up at Morayfield and in the process of building a similar set-up.
I'm finishing off my MIP (first generation IBL-FDS) and have 3 super computers all loaded and ready to go.

Just purchased a full DSTD+ Sim Avionics from FDS.

I got a long way to go, to catch up to you, but nice to see another queenslander on the forum.

Keep up the pics and updates, I'm really interested, as well as others,

Frank Cooper

bnepethomas

Hi Frank

I'm in Alex Hills, so if you are ever in the area you're welcome to stop in. Been tracking your progress on the Orbx sites.  Also scored the Sim Avionics, its a nice piece of S/W and a gift at $60.  It was through the Sim Avionics I discovered the CP Flight kit, which is very pleasant as well as the CDUs from FDS.  This was going to be a bit of a quick and dirty project.... hasn't quite turned out that way ;)

Still tossing up on what to use to drive the overhead frame I'm sorta leaning to the ProSim given I don't have an investment in anything else at the moment.  Using the CpFlight board for the MIP and FDS for the overheard.  And probably phidgets for servo gauges. Thoughts anyone?

Also has  anyone cut and rewired up lengths of the led strips?  There looks to be solder pads at the 'other' end of the strip, but what about cutting it into thirds?

Cheers

Peter

Cheers

Peter

Quote from: tennyson on January 11, 2012, 10:36:27 PM
Hi Pete.

I'm finishing off my MIP (first generation IBL-FDS) and have 3 super computers all loaded and ready to go.

Just purchased a full DSTD+ Sim Avionics from FDS.

I got a long way to go, to catch up to you, but nice to see another queenslander on the forum.

Keep up the pics and updates, I'm really interested, as well as others,

Frank Cooper

jackpilot

Peter I think that You are not talking about about SimAvionics ..at $60... but Aerosystems 737
SimAvionics would drive your overhead anyway.
As for the led stripes, you can cut them any lenght, usually every 3 leds, look at it you must see a repeating pattern and each block of 3 can be powered  independently

Jack

Flying_Fox

Quote from: bnepethomas on January 12, 2012, 02:29:53 AM

I'm in Alex Hills, so if you are ever in the area you're welcome to stop in.

Frank Cooper

I see there is a bunch of builders down under around Brisbane.  :) Been in Brisbane twice - my daughter lives there now. Maybe we could have a flight or two together when I am there next time.  ;)

Nick

bnepethomas

Hi Nick

After traveling  18 hours from Canada to Oz, you are more than welcome to come on down, hopefully it'll all be painted in the near future.

Cheers

Peter
Quote from: Flying_Fox on January 12, 2012, 11:50:16 AM
Quote from: bnepethomas on January 12, 2012, 02:29:53 AM

I'm in Alex Hills, so if you are ever in the area you're welcome to stop in.

Frank Cooper

I see there is a bunch of builders down under around Brisbane.  :) Been in Brisbane twice - my daughter lives there now. Maybe we could have a flight or two together when I am there next time.  ;)

Nick

bnepethomas

Hi Guys

How are you getting USB from the MIP to the overhead panel?  My current plans involve routing it up the back cabin wall, but am a little concerned about length of cables.  What have others done?

Ta

Peter

fordgt40

Peter

I am routing mine behind the centre window mullion. Generally, there is a 5 metre cable limit for USB unless you use a "booster"

David

bnepethomas

Ta David

Sounds like that might be the plan.

cheers

peter
Quote from: fordgt40 on February 19, 2012, 01:58:54 AM
Peter

I am routing mine behind the centre window mullion. Generally, there is a 5 metre cable limit for USB unless you use a "booster"

David

bnepethomas

Hi guys

A little more progress on the Fwd OH.  This is a Simworld frame and panels, with  Opencockpits Gauges and Opencockpits legend indicators.  Very happy with the Simworld kit, although mounting the OpenCockpits gauges did get a little interesting., nothing a bit of filing and drilling couldn't fix (all part of the fun).  Now doing the mechanical stuff for the MIP.

The wire at the top is the safety strap should anything go astray when mounting it.

And after a 'few' months, the Revolution Simproducts throttle has landed.  Yet to spin it up, but it is a nice piece of work.

Cheers

Peter

bnepethomas

Starting to really come together.
What the photos don't show is the Revolution Simproducts J-Rail on the FOs seat.   They are nice pieces of work.  Makes the cockpit shuffle a whole lot easier.
Still tossing up what to do re instruments in the centre of the MIP.
Just about at the point of doing the wiring thing, hopefully no blue smoke :)
And then there is the FO seat to fix-up.. builders work is never done.....

tennyson

Great Job, Pete.

I been doing the wiring thing all weekend and am just starting to get there. I used the info you gave me about wiring set-up, colour coding, etc. and it's working out great.

The only thing I didn't do was test all of the bulbs before wiring, so I'm hoping that I get it right first up.

My glares are due this week, CPFlight FMC and EFIS's, and I bought the Gold line Sismo clocks.

I'll post some pics when I get the MIP finished, but I'm happy so far.

Frank

bnepethomas

Quote from: tennyson on March 11, 2012, 01:44:46 AM
Great Job, Pete.

I been doing the wiring thing all weekend and am just starting to get there. I used the info you gave me about wiring set-up, colour coding, etc. and it's working out great.

The only thing I didn't do was test all of the bulbs before wiring, so I'm hoping that I get it right first up.

My glares are due this week, CPFlight FMC and EFIS's, and I bought the Gold line Sismo clocks.

I'll post some pics when I get the MIP finished, but I'm happy so far.

Frank
Good to see its progressing, interested in what you think of the Sismo clocks.  I'm going to need to some some surgery to get the Flight Illusion unit in.

Cheers

Peter

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate