Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
715 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 715
Total: 716

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Question for the FS views Wizards.

Started by jackpilot, February 25, 2012, 04:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Some of you may remember Sublogic ATP with 3D outside view, using a pair of green and red glasses. (still have it if a collector is out there!)
The effect on landing at night was spectacular even if the scenery was crude.

This post to evaluate the present and future possiblities for 3D Sim views...if any!
Captains..... :D ???

Jack

Nat Crea

Someone asked me the other day about a possible 3D visual system, and with most new
projectors being 3D ready and current drivers, its possible now.
Only thing I dont like is looking at your flight deck and DU's with 3D glasses on :(
Shame...would be nice...

Nat

jackpilot

Projectors being OK what about the scenery itself, I mean the current FS image ?

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on February 25, 2012, 04:35:12 AM

This post to evaluate the present and future possiblities for 3D Sim views...if any!
Captains..... :D ???

Bite your tongue & never, ever mention that again!!!!  >:( Are you trying to make life miserable for some of us until the day we die?

I'm up to my neck & fed up with 'new functionality'. I would like to live the rest of my days peacefully & stress free if possible  :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Whaoo, nice Avatar!
:laugh:

Last week I went to a XXL electronic store and checked out the 3D TVs (Hence the post)
Pretty impressive showing of an underwater scene ... one  shark went over my shoulder!!
Cant wait for Xrated 3D!!

::)

Jack

Nat Crea

Jack,

You can do it NOW...if you want...its just the glasses that would bug me.

Sorry Mau :o

FSX 3d HUD.wmv

Nat

Maurice

Quote from: melnato on February 28, 2012, 12:51:04 AM

Sorry Mau :o

Nat

Yes, I REALLY see that in my future, right next to my coffin with the following epitaph.

"Flight simulation was his passion and ended up being the death of him. How was he to know his wife will do him in when he mentioned changing his visuals to 3D?"

Mau

Maurice

And one more thought to retire this crazy idea once & for all. Although it would really be nice to have a 3D view for the outside world, the inside world, namely your instrument panel is already real '3D', so taking the glasses on & off when looking outside & then inside would be rather awkward to put it mildly, unless of course you can stand looking at the instruments through 3D glasses. I'm sure someone out there will claim that is not a problem & well worth the aggravation since the benefit would be 3D outside views.

I won't be that someone though  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

What kind of glasses are we talking about, certainly not the colored type.
and Nat how/where  do you get that outside image?

PS: Sorry Mau, I had to find an excuse for not having yet a decent outside view! :laugh:

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on February 28, 2012, 09:55:30 AM
What kind of glasses are we talking about, certainly not the colored type.
and Nat how/where  do you get that outside image?

For the video Nat posted, yes we are talking about the colored type glasses with red & blue lenses. I believe that the new 3D TVs use something else that requires batteries in the glasses but I could be totally wrong.

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on February 28, 2012, 09:55:30 AM

PS: Sorry Mau, I had to find an excuse for not having yet a decent outside view! :laugh:

Sorry too Jack but you'll have to think of something else. 3D will never be useful to cockpit builders for the following reasons (I really hate saying never so I will qualify it by adding in our mutual limited remaining lifetime  :)

As you can see in this new video, 3D would be much more useful for desktop simmers. Once you are in a cockpit separated from the outside visuals, 3D would hardly add anything at all since the 3D effect is only achieved if you show near & far objects at the same time and the objects cannot be in the distance otherwise you lose the 3D effect.

So, when taking off or landing, the 3D effect would be very minimal at best since the runway is far enough away that it would not look 3D at all. It would be great if it did but if you have seen 3D movies, you will agree that the effect is only dramatic when something jumps at you. Of course, it would look great if you experienced a bird strike or a mid flight collision or hit the jetway when you approached the gate  ;D

Now, assuming the above was not an issue, all the FSX scenery would have to be redone in 3D. I say all because you could not just mix add-on scenery in 3D with 2D default scenery. It would have to be one or the other.

Terribly sorry again if I burst your bubble. I'm afraid you will have to be happy with one of the current affordable alternatives or a CAE type Collimated Visual System  :)

Edit: Added another link as this one demonstrates the effect more dramatically. As you can see, the 3D effect is just for the cockpit and the scenery itself is still 2D

FSX 3d v 2d Comparison.wmv

FSX in 3D! (Test)

I rest my case  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

Colored glasses are out of question and all these video are 3D color based.
The TVs have powered glasses or plain . probably 2 diff tech. Glasses are clear.
The 3D at IMax for instance uses polarization , one image polarized vertically the other one horizontally, the glasses have opposite pol. but here also glasses are clear and wearing them would not be a problem.
And who among us, seated in an IMax theatre, 3D glasses on the nose, has not fancied that kind of image in a Sim??
I am still open to the idea....hé hé :D
Jack

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on February 28, 2012, 01:08:49 PM

And who among us, seated in an IMax theatre, 3D glasses on the nose, has not fancied that kind of image in a Sim??
I am still open to the idea....hé hé :D
Jack

Well you missed my main point again Jack. 3D in IMAX or even a regular theater is amazing but they filmed the action with a 3D camera. FS9 or FSX scenery cannot be made 3D retro-actively. It would have to be totally re-created.

Until some ambitious developer tries to do that, 3D sims are just a pipe dream. So, keep on dreaming...it's good for the soul  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

I know Mau, I remember my Grandma with her twin lense stereoscopic camera (working with glass plates.)
Not really new tech.
I simply mentionned that Sublogic did it many years ago and was wondering if something 3D could be in the pipe?

Jack

Tom_G_2010

3D is making its way into the mainstream.  Not at all fast, but it seems to be gaining ground.  The glasses, I suspect, will at some point be eliminated or replaced by a version that can handle 2D as clearly as 3D so that you won't have to take them on and off so much.  And, I would not put it past some egghead software developer ( I really like those folks by the way) to find a way to convert existing media from 2D to 3D, possibly even on the fly.

And before the "that's not possible" crowd decides to chime in, remember, they were saying that about flight, the telephone, landing on the moon,and the end of the world.  Woops, scratch that last one.   :-X

If you've reached the point where you are content with your pit build and as such are at the "I'd rather fly than build" stage then 3D likely has no appeal and you can count yourself fortunate to have found that sweet spot.

As for me though, baring insane cost, I would lunge on 3D outside visuals in a heartbeat.  Or maybe even faster depending on the level of quality and contribution to the flight illusion.
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate