Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 22, 2024, 11:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
160 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 165
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Short-Throw Projectors

Started by FredK, October 22, 2009, 06:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredK

Would appreciate any recommendations and comments regarding short-throw projectors. 

I'm planning a 3 projector visual project utilizing a curved screen and Sol7.  Space constraints essentially limit me to use of short-throws.  I realize there is already some sketchy info here but am curious if anyone has anything new to add.

Thanks,

FredK
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

G-BVOB

Hi Fred,

One of the club members here in Ireland is using an Acer S1200, which I saw in action a couple of weeks ago. He has a single projector set-up but gets a good image size from a very short distance and excellent picture quality. The price on the S1200 is also quite interesting, and I'm considering it for my F27 visuals - hopefully early next year !!

If anyone has any alternative suggestions I'm also interested to hear before making a purchase (or 3).

Cheers
Jon

Trevor Hale

Hey Fred..

If your installation will allow, I personally have found my favorite "Short Throw" Projector.  I know that as of a year ago it was under 1K.  I would get a couple of these if you can manage..

NEC MultiSync WT610 mulitmedia projector
NEC WT610 is the shortest focal length projector in the world at the moment, able to project a 60 inch diagonal image from a distance of 25 centimetres, making it ideal for confined spaces and rear projection applications such as exhibition stands and booths, small offices, classrooms and retail environments where space is at a premium.
Features
Mirror projection technology lets you use existing space more efficiently, can project from short throw distances
The WT610 can be posiitioned right up against the wall in places where space is limited or in informal situations where people are not sitting while watching the presentation, for example, exhibitions, live events, press launches etc.
WT610 is the perfect fit for tight cubical office spaces, classrooms and retail environments, small business rooms etc., and while normal front projectors require a throw distance of feet, the WT610 can achieve up to a 80 inch screen display in less than 18-inches (the throwing distance and height of the bottom edge of the screen are calculated with an aspect ratio of 4:3).
In retail settings, shelf space is at a premium and the WT610 with its short throw distance, vivid graphics and video display can enhance customer interaction without reducing the merchandising display area. In a classroom, the projector can be moved to the front of the class giving the teacher more freedom to interact with students without worrying about stepping in front of the projected image.
Special features
Aspheric mirror projector technology
       Worlds shortest throw distance
       3500:1 contrast ratio
       DLP XGA with 2000 ANSI lumens
       Optional, 40-inch combined stand and screen available (extra)
       Computer graphics display up to UXGA
       HD compatible, DVI with HDCP and HDMI
       Presentation viewer function
       Wireless or wired LAN 811b/g
       3D reform keystone correction
       3 year NEC pan European 24 working hours repair and return guarantee
       Low noise 32dB
       Dimensions with mirror cover open 380x313x313mm not including protrusions
       With mirror cover closed 227x227x296mm
Throw distances
Screen size: 40-inch (0.6x0.8) Throwing distance: 6.4cm
       Screen size: 60-inch (0.9x1.2) Throwing distance: 26.3cm
       Screen size: 80-inch (1.2x1.6) Throwing distance: 46.1cm
       Screen size: 100-inch (1.5x2.0) Throwing distance: 65.9cm
Mirrored reflection projector
Mirror projection technology lets you use existing space more efficiently, can project from short throw distances.
In an ordinary projector ( lens-projection type projector) images are displayed using a projection lens, which consists of about 10 components. Using this method, shortening the throwing distance is technically limited by the lens diameter, curvature, and weight. The WT600 projector is equipped with NEC's unique optical design using aspheric mirrors. NEC achieved the super short focal distance, impossible in ordinary projectors, by introducing the aspheric mirror, which was developed and produced with super-high accuracy plastic mirror technology. The short throwing distance means the presenter can stand in front of the screen without blocking the light from the projector; so, there are no shadows on the screen. Presentations focus more on the presenter. By introducing a mechanism moving the mirror (electric powered), focus adjustment can be made for a variable screen size, and screen distortion (distortion aberration) is suppressed within practical levels*. The "Pin cushion correction" function electrically corrects screen distortion.
       *Less than 2.0% (TV distortion) for 40-100" screens.      NEC WT 610 projector specification           
Computer resolutionXGA
Pixels1024x768
HD ReadyNo

Brightness max. (ANSI lumens)2000
Brightness eco mode (ANSI lumens)1500
Contrast ratio3500:1
SpeakersYes

Lamp life (max. hours)Up to 2000
Noise level (decibels)37
PC inputs2
PC outputs1
Wired networkableNo
Wireless presentationsOptional
Lens zoomMotorized
Lens focal1.5 -1.9:1

Size (mm)227 - 313 x 380 x 313
Weight (KG)6.4
TechnologyDLP

ApplicationInstall

Manufacturer warranty (UK)3 year RTB (excludes lamps)
IMPORTANT NOTEPlease note that the projector lamp is classed as a comsumerable and has a 30 day manufacturer warranty
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

I heared good things about the Optoma EX525ST.
Check the data sheet.

Jack

markuspilot

My sim room is 4.1 m wide but only 2.7m long.
I used 3 short throw with projectors over the sim roof, thus avoiding throwing the image over the room and getting shadows from the sim roof onto the screens for the fwd/side view.
I get 2.0m wide from only (approx) 1.5m throw

No optical zoom  >:( so image size adjusted by moving projector position.
Cant have three projectors at 45 degrees as each projector body will be on top of each other, so setup at different angles, or go curved screen.

My curved screen is not a constant radius due to the small room but SOL 7 fixes the image distortion.

I would not go un even curved screen unless prepared to go SOL7

SOL 7 solved lots of problems for me.

Mark

mpl330

Hi,

Very happy with a single Optoma EX525ST (now I have nhancer installed - prior to that AA was not working through the projector but was fine on a monitor...?)

Cheers
Mike

dnoize

I would be very carefull with the ultra short throw projectors like the one trevor showed. The type that you can setup against the wall.

These projectors use a system of mirrors and lenses and with most brands these are NOT calibrated.

As a result of this, the thrown image differs between projectors. We had 3 of these kind of projectors and it prooved next to impossible to allign them correctly to eachother, even when using sol 7.

So my advise would be to NOT use ultra short throw projectors but regular short throw projectors. with a trow of around 0.5:1 or 0.6:1

If you want to use ultra short throw projectors make sure you can try them (and bring them back if they dont work out for you).

Stef

Trevor Hale

Good Information Stef,  I would have never thought that.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

when acting as a wave

Aha. We tried one of these with a view to eventually setting up three of them at a future date. As it turned out, we weren't getting the effect we wanted (our current set-up was the main factor regarding this, however) and we returned it. Would never have considered them not all being calibrated alike though ...
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

FredK

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Quote from: FredK on October 24, 2009, 04:31:37 AM
What is "nhancer".

It is a downloadable tool, from Nvidia.com, that tailors your video settings to an optimum level for you.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

mpl330

As Trev said it allows more control over the gpu settings (only for Nvidia graphics cards - www.nhancer.com ) and actually sorted out a problem with the nvidia drivers for me, the AA settings were being ignored from the card in FS until I used this...

Cheers
Mike

jackpilot

Quote from: mpl330 on October 23, 2009, 12:41:13 PM
Hi,

Very happy with a single Optoma EX525ST (now I have nhancer installed - prior to that AA was not working through the projector but was fine on a monitor...?)

Cheers
Mike

What kind of view do you get that way?
Size, distance...any pic? sound vry interesting (especially if you are very happy with it!)
Jack

Jack

mpl330

Hi Jack,
I'll just condition my remark 'very happy' - it is my 1st projector and the difference between 3 x 19" monitors and the projector for me is amazing!

I'll get some proper measurements for you but to give you an idea I have it mounted above and at the back of my OH and the wall I am projecting onto is about 1m from the face of the mcp (hence why I needed a short throw  :( ). The image produced is wider than the width of the sim (dual seat) and taller than I can see when sat in it but as I say I will get some measurements for you...

Only thing I did have to do was crank the keystone correction all the way for the angle and position I have it sat, technically I suspect I could have done with a little more but it got close enough.

Cheers
Mike

Bob Reed

Quote from: mpl330 on October 24, 2009, 07:19:35 PM
Hi Jack,
I'll just condition my remark 'very happy' - it is my 1st projector and the difference between 3 x 19" monitors and the projector for me is amazing!

I'll get some proper measurements for you but to give you an idea I have it mounted above and at the back of my OH and the wall I am projecting onto is about 1m from the face of the mcp (hence why I needed a short throw  :( ). The image produced is wider than the width of the sim (dual seat) and taller than I can see when sat in it but as I say I will get some measurements for you...

Only thing I did have to do was crank the keystone correction all the way for the angle and position I have it sat, technically I suspect I could have done with a little more but it got close enough.

Cheers
Mike
Do you have any pictures of this setup? Would love to see it!

mpl330

Quote from: Bob Reed on October 24, 2009, 07:32:11 PM
Do you have any pictures of this setup? Would love to see it!

Hi Bob,

Will try do some photo's this afternoon - it's a very Autumnal grey / wet day here in the UK and once I have painted the bathroom ceiling the day is my own (unless I am given some other jobs to do by the "boss"  ::) and we have an extra hour today!!!)

Cheers
Mike

steveeverson

Hi Mike, my "boss" (or "the management" as i lovingly like to call her) let me out for the day to go and fly JD's 747-400 sim.. now i'm home, im seeing if I can get away with doing some fiddling with my own 737 this evening but I suspect that will involve taking her shopping tomorrow....

look forward to the pic's of your setup :)
Steve

another bedroom boeing....

mpl330

Hi,

I got out of having to do the shopping but had to do the painting instead - and then had to put up a curtain rail (although this was for my benefit as it is in the sim room  ;) don't want all and sundry watching my dodgy landings!!!)

Anyway projector is 2m from the screen (wall) and creates an image 2.4m wide and about 1.7m high.

Couple of pics - 1 how it is mounted (please excuse the dodgy wiring and temp light - all still to be sorted  ::) ) and no 2 the view from the captains seat (excuse the blurriness but I had the flash off and the camera wasnt on a stand but you will hopefully get the idea)

Cheers
Mike

Trevor Hale

Fantastic..  Looks Great Mike.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

when acting as a wave

That looks very sharp. And I suspect that we ourselves should have spent more time on building a nice, proper canvas for the image to fall upon, as opposed to trying to manipulate the projector into doing all the hard work for us ...
Ruscool Blog

mpl330

Quote from: when acting as a wave on October 26, 2009, 09:56:49 AM
That looks very sharp.

Hi there,

If you were meaning my dodgy screen shot then I am only projecting onto the wall of my room - its just plain white painted plaster at the moment - could do with some thoughts around whether there is any benefit to using a screen of some sort...?

Cheers
Mike

when acting as a wave

Hi Mike

Yes, I was referring to the screen shot, although I was meaning sharp as in 'Hey, that's the effect we wanted' rather than the actual crispness of the image. Unfortunately I can't help you with regards screens etc. because we only temporarily positioned a backing board.

Looking at your view from the captain's seat though, it would appear that perhaps our image was positioned too far beyond the glareshield (excuse my terminology if that's incorrect), 'cos I think if my father had been seated in front of a view like that, he'd never have returned the projector!  :laugh:

Dean.
Ruscool Blog

mpl330

Quote from: when acting as a wave on October 26, 2009, 11:49:23 AM
Hi Mike
Yes, I was referring to the screen shot, although I was meaning sharp as in 'Hey, that's the effect we wanted' rather than the actual crispness of the image. Unfortunately I can't help you with regards screens etc. because we only temporarily positioned a backing board.

:-[   ;D Yes crispness is definately missing in that shot!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate