Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
721 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 721
Total: 722

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Problem with TightVNC and using TeamViewer?

Started by blueskydriver, March 31, 2012, 12:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

I have TightVNC and been using it for a long time, but I've always had a problem with refreshing from the machine I want to view from a different machine.

For example; my FSX Machine (Win7) using the TH2GO is what I want to view and the machine I view from is my daily use computer (WinXP). So, when I make the request to the FSX machine I can see the display, but anytime I make a change to anything on it, I have to use the refresh button (two curved arrows at top of TightVNC screen). Can you imagine how hard that is? Make change, refresh, make change, refresh and etc, etc, & etc. I have been doing this for so long I cannot remember when I started, but just assume it was a limitation.

Additionally, it is not all screens or aspects that need to be refreshed. When installing a program or using IE the refresh happens automatically, but anything else requires the refresh button in TightVNC. Thus, I ask has anyone been dealing with this issue?

This only happens with the three Windows 7 machines I have (two other machines are clients for the FSX setup). I am thinking the TightVNC, XP version, I am using has an issue dealing with the Windows 7 data. I plan to check on the TightVNC website, but that brings me to the next question before I do.

With Team Viewer is there any issues like this and can you cross platform them? In any case, I'd like to be able to see a Mac computer when I need it for non-FSX work. I haven't checked with TightVNC (or tried it yet) for the connection to the Mac, so that is a different, but related matter, and that is why I ask now about it in conjunction with Team Viewer.

Finally, if you have or still use both programs, which of the two is better and/or easier? If I have to switch to Team Viewer, I'd have to redo 14 computers, so I'd like to know it'll be worth it in the end. As for TightVNC, maybe I just need to update the versions or get the paid versions, as opposed to the free ones... What is your opinion?

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

I use the free TeamViewer to access the FSX PC and I have no problems with it while I am using it. The only 2 mildly annoying things is that every time you start it, a window pops up telling you that this version is not for commercial use or something like that.

The other annoying thing is that it does not automatically adjust the view on the remote PC. So after you connect, you have to expand the view to fit your remote screen (you still need to pan the view to see the whole TripleHead projection of course). Not that big a deal really.

I use RealVNC (free version) to access all my other PCs because it is less annoying. I tried the demo of the paid version of RealVNC to access the FSX PC and I had several problems with it. Sorry but can't remember what the problems were but they were annoying enough that I decided to go back to TeamViewer instead.

Anyway, why don't you just try the free TeamViewer and see for yourself?
I'm sure you will like it despite the few annoyances. You can also do file transfers which is something you can't do with free RealVNC.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Bob Reed

BSD, have you tried to run Tight VNC on the 7 machine in "XP" mode?

blueskydriver

Hey emailed ya...

No, I haven't. Do I set it up on the server of the Win7 for the settings to work like it would be in XP mode (like a compatibility thing)?

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Bob Reed

Compatibility mode on the system itself. It is how you would start the software. Don't know if it will help but it has sorted out a few programs on my Win 7 machines.

blueskydriver

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions; I tried compat mode, but no luck. However, you made me think of checking back on the TightVNC website about a Win7 mode (version). I did and they have version 2.04 and it works for Vista & Win 7 users.

I installed the new version on the Win 7 machines only and now I can back link (view) from the WinXP machine(s). So, that means I don't have to update all the other machines for sim...thank goodness. Cool thing is that 2.04 found my old version and asked to remove it. Thus, I had no issues with uninstall/reinstalling, and in fact, it kept all my settings from the old and ported them to the new. It took about 3.6578091 mintues...lol! I figure if I said 3 mintues no one would believe me...rotflol. As most things in the sim world take 3.6578091 months or years...stop laughing Maurice!

Anyway, I got your email about the shipment and thank you (your wife too)! Also, I really enjoyed the phone conversation yesterday...we need to talk more often.

BSD

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate