Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
551 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 551
Total: 551

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What flight deck audio sounds are heard via a headset ?

Started by willow, June 27, 2012, 01:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willow

Greetings:

Flight deck call outs (GPWS, navigation, auto pilot disconnect, etc).  Are these sounds heard through the overhead speaker AND through the headset?

I want to know which sounds, other than ATC communication and ATIS announcements, etc are heard through the headset?

Thank You.    WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

Maurice

Very goo question...I would like to know as well.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

ivar hestnes

MLeavy737

Hey guys,
The only thing you hear through the headset is ATC.  The radio stuff.  Everything else is through external speakers and horns.

Mile L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

ivar hestnes

Mike...

Just wondering. On page 1 from this PDF it says...

"audio warnings from altitude alerts, ground prox warning, collision avoidance and windshear are also heard through the speakers and headsets at preset volumes. They cannot be controlled or turned off by the crew"

Is this wrong info in the PDF?
Very interesting topic!

:)

vidarf

From my (very limited) experience, the only sounds on the headsets are the radios and what ever you've activated on the audio panel. I had the pleasure on three different occasions to join the pilots in the jump seat, and I activated as much as possible on the ACP to get an idea on what I could hear. Quickly turned off the NAV and ADF though (can't remember if the ADF ever was active or not).

However, there is a SPKR knob. Did not notice that one...

MLeavy737

I dont know, 5k hrs in them and i dont recall distinctly hearing sounds through the headset honestly.  I guess its possible  however maybe The external speakers drown the headset tones out if there is any.  Ill look through my manuals and see if i can find something on it.  Im just going by what it seems like here.

One thing i know about preset levels and the lack of ability to control something in an airplane is that once in a while u always get the one airplane that is just way too loud and it drives you nuts the whole flight.  Never had one in this case.  Ill look into it and pay attention next trip.

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

ivar hestnes

Yeah, I guess if these sounds are also in the headset, it will drown by the same sounds from the speaker. Maybe the sounds are present in headset on low levels, as a backup in case speakers fail? But you cant notice it since they are played on speakers at the same time...

willow

Thank you for everyone's input.

I asked a 737 trainer captain and he stated that Boeing has used both methods at various times, however, the current method is to NOT have any sounds other than ATC, COMS and ATIS through the headset.

Therefore, it depends on when you were flying as to what you remember  :)

Thank you.   WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate