Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:12:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
531 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 551
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 531
Total: 531

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A clarification about me

Started by vidarf, June 27, 2012, 02:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidarf

It has been pointed out to me that my posts can be interpreted as rude or condescending. Some people might be offended by something I write.

If I insult you, please let me know right away!

I love this hobby. I have enormous respect for all you guys (and even gals - about time! :) ) who - like me - put money, effort and hard work into this hobby. I regard many of you as my personal friend - maybe not a close friend, but friend never the less. And I love every single one of them!

I might shoot a snappy comment to a friend who has a back problem by telling him he doesn't have the spine to this or that. At the same time, I am genuinely concerned about his or hers well being.

It is in my nature to look on the bright side of things. I love a snappy comeback, and believe me - in that department, I live by the rule "what goes around, comes around". I have a very easy-going nature, and in my company you'll find a lot of laughter and humor.
However, people who do not know me might not get that. And I don't know where everybody's "line" is drawn. I do not know which particular area will offend you. For example, my boldness does not bother me. I do look like a roll on! :D But I do get a bit offended if someone comments on my love handles too much.

It is my intention to be helpful, to share and to do what ever I can to make this hobby more fun for everybody. My intentions are always good. I will voice my opinion, and if you're deliberately stupid - I'll tell you. ;) I believe in the freedom of speech in that I think you have the right to say whatever you want - but you don't have an obligation to do so. And of course I might cross that particular line from time to time.

My personality - anybodys personality - does not come fully through in writing. The meaning can easily be lost between the mind and the keyboard. But that should not stop us! If you have a problem with it, let me know! It is better to set things straight than sweeping stuff under the rug until it boils over for someone. I do not have any problem apologizing for something I've said/written, if I offend you. But you have to let me know. Right away.

Political Correctness. Forget it. I will NEVER be "PC". Neither should you. To be offended by a choice of words; to think that this word or that opinion is not politically correct in case someone might be offended? Please!
Of course, SOME words should not be used since the use of that word has been of a very negative nature. One of the best examples would be "ni**er". I will NEVER use that word!

I am not after love and praise from the people that "gets" me and like me. I just feel that if I come through as a rude and offensive person, I need to explain myself. And perhaps think about what I'm writing. At the same time, this might be a good opportunity for people to take a moment and see the big picture. The world has become a very small place. Cultures meet. Every person isn't American. Or Norwegian, Indian, Japanese...

Two things we all should be very clear on: Language and culture.
English is NOT everybody's first language. That is very clear from some posts I've seen. And although I try to use the right phrases (idioms), it's hard to do so all the time. "The meaning got lost in translation". One should keep that in mind when reading other people's posts!
Culture - it's not the same everywhere. What your culture consider rude, might not be a problem elsewhere. Very important to remember.

Again, I want to give a heartfelt apology if I've offended anyone. I apologize for hurting your feelings, but I do NOT apologize for who I am or for my opinions. You do not have to accept them, but you better respect them! :)

I needed to get this off my chest. And let this post be a reminder to all of us: your true meaning might not come across in writing, people might misunderstand you - and we all should try to take everything in the best possible way, always! You being offended might be your problem, not others.

We all are in this hobby to fulfill a dream. We are active on forums because we want to exchange information and knowledge, and to have a good time. The world has become a small place, and we need to learn how to handle different cultures and how to deal with the language barrier. My advice? Take everything you read in the best possible way. It probably was meant that way anyway.

Let me finish off this post by reminding you about what I think is the most important in any hobby or activity:

If in your hobby you do care,
all your info you should share!

Sharing is caring! :)

Best regards, Vidar.

Sean

Wow! Between this post and the lengthy one on your website yesterday, I'm betting you just passed your 'A' level typing exam!  :o

You've not come across the way you suggest to me at any time. You must definitely have an 'A' level in English, because it's better than mine. Nothing is 'lost in translation' this end.

Sean

vidarf

Thank you! :D I try hard to write correctly and to improve my English. Not easy to do, considering the influence I get from stand up comedians, The Big Bang Theory, Mythbusters, movies and so on. 8) Especially the Chris Rock stand up's... Oh man!

Anyway, I felt it was necessary to post this in order to avoid any misunderstandings. I've started fresh on this forum, and I intend to avoid the problems I've faced on a few other places. This is me; this is how I am. Now I can be myself, and hopefully people will learn to know me. Some of the old farts do know me, and know where I stand. But it would be very sad if some of the noobs would get the wrong picture!

'A' level in English, huh? I almost flunked in high school! Until I got a genius of a teacher that understood that knowing that the Cat sits IN the tree, jumps down ON the car and then sleeps IN the grass is more important than being able to write 5 A4 pages on some obscure topic...
Trust me, I really need to think about which words I use. I would've offended a sailor if I "gave it all"! Just watch "Raw" and "Delirious", and you know what I'm capable of... 8)

ivar hestnes

I dont think you should worry about adding your sense of humour Vidar. If there is a few that cant handle it, I am sure they are busy trying to learn how to smile. I prefere some dirty jokes here and there, instead of chatting like if I was in front of allmighty. And dont worry about your english. We have great examples of norwenglish from a fellow WRC driver.

One of his greatest... Its not the fart that kills...      (Fart means speed in norwegish).

If you need someone to test the wording on, throw it to me, hehehe. I have been out in "pessvær" before... (piss-weather in viking lingo). Wish I was funny in english too. But I am not. Sometimes I am funny in my own language though. Well... some people had a laugh when I called my shell a woody...

But I seriously hope no one is harazzing you. If so I would love to have a flaming list for morons. Some people are unfortunately numb between their ears... Even if the occupants on this forum is from the better side of the moon as I see it.

As being one that was harazzed from born until 20, I really hate bullies. Keep on rolling Vidar  ;)

vidarf

You... mean... that I am on the right side of the MOON, Ivar?

(For your non-viking lingo retards out there: a bald man's head is called a full moon here in Norway)

ivar hestnes

hahhahhah, depends which moon we are talking about.
My brother showed some french girls what the norwegian moon looks like out of the window of my truck on a trip to Bologne sur mer in France some years ago...

(Ivar honked the horn at some cute girls, who replied with a certain finger...)

;D

simlady/ Karen

As one of the few girls on this site, (haven't seen any others in a long time) I haven't had a problem with anything you have posted on my subjects.

Never worry about being "Woman Friendly" when posting. I don't like things sugar coated and if you read some of my posts, I dish is out just like everyone else.

Your comments are always welcomed.  ;D

vidarf

Be... careful what you wish for.... PINK! :D

jackpilot

Guys (and Gals) :angel:

This site has been sailing through without much moderation (zzzzz   zzzzz ) well basically zero!
and I'm happy , as Trevor , as Bob and all the old fart pillars here , like Mau and I   :D

Politically correct has never been an issue because we are not from start, spending zillion reals on virtual maybees
But good solid friendship and  consideration for each other did wonders so far.....keep the thrust levers on that detent Guys and ...let us talk about that little gauge ..or that dreaded  X plane new twist, or Fly Elise ....fun is going on!
Great life... :D

Jack

XOrionFE

LOL...

"that dreaded x-plane"....

tell me about it Jack... That dreaded damn thing just cost me another 6k in hardware! :o

Now where was Maurice and his wisdom when I needed him.....it's all his fault...

Scott

blueskydriver

Yeah! It's Maurice's fault and here I was thinking it had something to do with that hour phone call we had right after you got back from the CB convention Scott...good thing it's not me...uh, okay I suppose I'm the one just talking about it a lot, but where you dove into a 6k swimming pool...so, now backing to blaming Maurice...uh, Maurice next time we go nuts about something, please use an image that represents a slap in the head with a hammer. In fact, you can call it "The Mau-u-hammer".

Vidar, never thought you to be rash or cocky. Instead, I figure you're like Maurice and now Karen, you're straight to the point with that Norwegian bluntish; we have a lot of Norwegians near us and likely related, so you're a regular for us... Like Karen says "don't sugar coat it" for anyone. Nor, as Jack says "PC'it". Just be yourself.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Thanks for reminding me John, you bear just as much blame....oh,  I shouldn't forget the great presentations by Matt and James also.....

blueskydriver

Hey, wait a second I was trying too unblame me, oh alright then, Maurice smack me with the Mau-u-hammer! Here I thought I was going to slip away on this one...dog-gone-it.

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

vidarf

Thank you guys (and ONE gal AFAIK). This issue has NOT been raised on this forum - never mind where, 'cus it's not important. I wanted to be very clear on this on THIS forum. I've gotten a lot more friends, and feel like I'm become closer to some old ones as well. Could not be happier!

I fully intend to be myself. No sugarcoating from me. The cat is out of the bag, so to speak! :)

So let us just wrap this one up. Get back to business. My simulator has gotten a fresh restart, in no small way thanks to this site.

The next thing for me? Getting a glare shield package from FDS to complete my MIP. In a few days, the CPFlight MCP arrives from FlyEngravity. The EFIS modules will follow within a few months. When the glare shield is in place, I'll continue building the side walls up to the windows. The new FS computer is just around the corner. 3 27" monitors will be purchased soon. The overhead is 90% completed. Just need to rework the front and wire up the aft overhead. Some minor work to get the gauges working. AND: the Simparts DIY throttle kit has been lying around for years. It will be beefed up and finished. Opencockpits has just released a brand new card that, from what I've seen, seems to be TAILORED towards throttle quadrants! WITH auto throttle, spoiler deployment and all the goodies.

This will be a very interesting year, that's for sure! Lots of great stuff happening, and you will all be a part of that journey.

And that concludes the topic in this thread for me. :)

N737AG

Good to read your last post Vidar and see your nordic optimism shining through again.

Continue being a great contributor and sim builder. It is always fun and interesting reading your posts. And if someone is bugging you, just open the crossfeed valve and let the bullshit in through one ear and straight out from the other.

Axel

Flyboyandre

De va nu faen tel en lan post du skreiv! E de nån som har fådd trusa opp i sprekken sia du følte et behov før å skriv en så inn i hælvetes lang post? Du må nu ikkje ta deinna kommentaren som en førnærmelse sia æ vil ike ainna enn gått :)

Skål!

Maurice

I missed reading the last few comments & I can see that I have been unjustly blamed for one unfortunate decision. Well, I refuse to take the blame for your misguided actions. For a long time now, I have been trying to knock some sense into some very thick skulls around here with not much success apparently.

Well, my turn now to blame some people (you know who you are) for my unfortunate decision not to pack it in when I could not locate a third projector. Had I done that, I would be blissfully sipping on some diet coke on my deck instead of trying to one more time fix my FSX PC which decided to totally crash on me with what looks like a defective I7-980X CPU (or at least, one the cores).

I'm now getting blue screen after blue screen except when I disable all cores except 1, or at least, that's what it looks like at the moment. Since I have no desire to replace a thousand dollars CPU just yet (or ever), I think I will pay for Microsoft support and see if they can confirm if it is indeed a CPU problem.

But this is not the right thread to talk about this so I'll be politically correct and express my disgust in a civilized manner.  GRRR!!!!!%^@#%F.U.C.K$#%^!^SHIT#&*%$@^#PISS OFF%$#@%&^%^

So, back now to the simulator of my dreams :camp: (wet dreams would be much better at my age  ::) )

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

vidarf

Mau, wet dreams at your age? Better have plastic sheets then. Reminds me about the two older guys sitting on the porch talking about important stuff (health). "How's your bowel movements?" the one guy asked. "Oh, it's fine!" the other guy replied. "I empty my bowels every morning at 08:00." -"That' great, mate!" the first guy replied. "Yeah, but the problem is - I don't wake up before 09:00!"

:D

Nah, Mau - I love you - you have a WEIRD sense of humor and you're not afraid to use it! I bet we could have a BLAST if we met. Open house at FDS - I'll try to be there! Poor, poor Peter, Steve and the rest of the guys..... :)

XOrionFE

Quote from: maurice on July 11, 2012, 11:19:25 AM
I missed reading the last few comments & I can see that I have been unjustly blamed for one unfortunate decision. Well, I refuse to take the blame for your misguided actions. For a long time now, I have been trying to knock some sense into some very thick skulls around here with not much success apparently.

Well, my turn now to blame some people (you know who you are) for my unfortunate decision not to pack it in when I could not locate a third projector. Had I done that, I would be blissfully sipping on some diet coke on my deck instead of trying to one more time fix my FSX PC which decided to totally crash on me with what looks like a defective I7-980X CPU (or at least, one the cores).

I'm now getting blue screen after blue screen except when I disable all cores except 1, or at least, that's what it looks like at the moment. Since I have no desire to replace a thousand dollars CPU just yet (or ever), I think I will pay for Microsoft support and see if they can confirm if it is indeed a CPU problem.

But this is not the right thread to talk about this so I'll be politically correct and express my disgust in a civilized manner.  GRRR!!!!!%^@#%F.U.C.K$#%^!^SHIT#&*%$@^#PISS OFF%$#@%&^%^

So, back now to the simulator of my dreams :camp: (wet dreams would be much better at my age  ::) )

Maurice

Maurice,  because I know your sense of humor I can't tell from this if you really are having computer troubles or not but if so...don't be too quick to blame the CPU.   Try pulling out some memory chips first as you may have a bad one.   Also try backing out any over clocking first.

If this was more joking then congrats....you got me  :-[

Scott

Maurice

EDIT: This post has been moved to a new thread

Quote from: XOrionFE on July 11, 2012, 02:42:42 PM

Maurice,  because I know your sense of humor I can't tell from this if you really are having computer troubles or not but if so...don't be too quick to blame the CPU.   Try pulling out some memory chips first as you may have a bad one.   Also try backing out any over clocking first.

If this was more joking then congrats....you got me  :-[

Scott

Unfortunately Scott, this wasn't a joke or the joke is on me. I am 95% sure right now that my CPU is foobar and here is why I think that.
First, I am getting several of these errors in the event viewer:

"A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor ID: 16

So, I ran memory diags overnight (with overclocking still on) and they ran without any problem (diags load on power up with no OS )
After I killed the diags, the system would no longer boot. Despite many repair attempts, I finally had to re-install a very recent backup image made when the system was working OK. Even with that old image, I'm still getting the errors above and I also ended up with multiple blue screens.

When I was able to run CPU diags with Hot CPU Tester Pro, they would end shortly with a blue screen even after I disabled all overclocking

So I disabled all cores except 1 core and I ran the CPU diags again and they have now been running for a couple of hours with no problems.

Bottom line, the system seems fairly stable so far if using only one core but any more cores and I end up with blue screens. Incidentally, during my testing, I would also end up with blue screens when starting Windows in safe mode.

This all leads me to believe that the CPU is partially defective. Tomorrow, I am going to open a case with Microsoft support and if they confirm the CPU is bad, then I have to make a big decision. The I7-980X CPU is out of production now and getting a replacement is almost impossible since most sites list it as out of stock. Getting an I7-990X instead is possible but at over $1K, I'm really not anxious to go that route for more than purely financial reasons.

Anyway, we'll see what MS Support has to say before I contemplate my sim's future. I don't think a memory problem would happen only when I am using all the CPU cores, so that leaves the CPU as the likely culprit as far as I can tell right now. Isn't this a fantastic hobby though? How else could you guarantee endless frustrations punctuated by a few hours of fun now & then if you are very lucky?  :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Flyboyandre

Cheers!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Efe

Quote from: ivar hestnes on June 27, 2012, 11:58:35 AMKeep on trolling Vidar  ;)

Edited for correctness...

Just kidding Vidar  ;)

vidarf

Efe: Oh, you bet! :D After all, it seems that Norway is the land of the Trolls - based on the massive amount of souvenir troll figurines we sell here. 8)

Mink

Vidar i know you norwegian guys.  ;D
i always thought that i have black humor until i meet
some norwegian soldiers during the UN Mission in bosnia herzegowina
norwegian humor is more than black. it is dark as the center of a black hole ;D
and always aimed straight at the target . hehe

best wishes from EDDK Germany

Flyboyandre

Quote from: Mink on July 12, 2012, 08:14:22 AM
Vidar i know you norwegian guys.  ;D
i always thought that i have black humor until i meet
some norwegian soldiers during the UN Mission in bosnia herzegowina
norwegian humor is more than black. it is dark as the center of a black hole ;D
and always aimed straight at the target . hehe

best wishes from EDDK Germany

We are certifiably nuts alright but not as bad as we may seem. Just check out what we like to do when we're not building sims :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF1V8HFfpTE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate