Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
549 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 549
Total: 549

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Look what the cat dragged in today!

Started by vidarf, June 29, 2012, 07:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidarf

2x EFIS modules will be ordered later this year (I need to eat too...), and the FDS glare shield unit is soon ready to be shipped, after they had to rearrange everything after "someone" visited their shop... :camp: "Just need some small parts, and it is ready to go"...
Come to think of it, there has been posted a lot of bragging videos lately. People has gotten new stuff. Hmmmmm..........

:laugh:

Nah, Peter & the mob has been working hard to make my glare unit. It's actually pretty sad - I got one of the very first MIP's of the new design, but it has not been used or completed until now. That's about to change in a BIG way!

I'm in simbuilder heaven! AND: The components for my new FS computer arrived too! It's going to be a loooooooooooooooong night! :)

shaneb

Those long nights are great when you have new parts to work with!   Have fun!   :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

vidarf

Folks, I'm getting old! It took me FIVE FREAKIN' HOURS to put together that STUPID computer! First, the motherboard standoffs did not fit the threads in the case. Had to drill the holes, but did not have a tapping bit that fitted. Jammed a screw through the holes, broke once. Had to drill out the piece that was left in the hole.
Then the #$%&/$ intel cooler did not want to be secured to the motherboard. Had to remove it and reinstall it by turning it 180 degrees. Snapped right in. Go figure. When the graphics card and the sound blaster was installed, I discovered that I had forgotten to mount the WIFI adapter to the motherboard. DANG IT!!! Had to remove everything, mount the tiny little gizmo, then reinstall everything.

I also was _THIS_ close to ruin the whole motherboard since I snagged ONE of the little pins underneath the CPU and bent it slightly. Had to get out my Ledlenser flashlight and a TINY screwdriver and bend the little bastard into coherence. I still am seeing spots from that flashlight!

THEN it was time to mount the SSD. 2.5" piece of equipment. I am used to handling a lot bigger equipment!  8) The old server tower did not have a single 3.5" slot, let alone a baby size 2,5". But since I've been reading up on the 737 illustrated parts catalog, I found some aluminum HDD fasteners that belongs in another computer case, bent the thingy's and made a "SSD Assy" for the "5,25" compartment". The barracuda disc plus that SSD are now mounted in shock-absorbing mounts (SILENCE! I kill you!). Man, do I have a lot of crap "lying around"!!! Will have to mount a big fan or two. Which I also "conveniently has lying around"... :o

But now it is done! The new FS computer is mounted inside a HUGE Image & Shapetek 981 tower. I haven't switched it on yet, and I actually do not want to! Think I'm going to make a couple of bagels, a big bucket of coffee and watch a few episodes of "flying wild alaska". Just to cool off!

Here's the specification on my new beast:

Image & Shapetek 981 servertower
Kingston SSDNow V200+ 240GB 2.5"
                        SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 535MB/480MB/s read/write, SandForce®
Seagate Barracuda® 1TB
                        SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"
Intel® Core i7-3770K Processor
                        Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.5Ghz, 8MB, Boxed w/fan
ASUS P8Z77-V, Socket-1155
                        ATX, Z77, DDR3, 2xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16,SLI/CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, WiFi,
                        DLNA, UEFI
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
                        Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
Corsair TX V2 850W PSU
                        ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 140mm fan
Gainward GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA
                        PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, DVI-D+DVI-I, native-HDMI, DisplayPort, 915MHz
Samsung DVD±RW Writer, SH-222BB
                        SATA, DVD±R: 22x DVD+RW: 8x, DVD-RW: 6x, DVD-RAM: 12x, Bulk, BLACK
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
                        PCIe-x1, 5.1 Surround, Core3D, Dolby Digital, THX TruStudio Pro, CrystalVoice
Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital
                        1xDVI-DL input or 1xVGA input, 2 or 3xDVI-I outputs

Should be fun! :) FSX has been "lying around" for some time now, and I'm really looking forward to test it! It'll be a Good Time when the old slide show is degraded to Project Magenta only!

But now I'm going to see what crazy stuff Ariel and the gang is up to. I don't like to feel old...

Trevor Hale

Bud. It only took that long because we (as we get older) like to take time with the things we buy lol.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

vidarf

Ooooooooo....kaaaaay???? That true for other areas in your life, BUD???? :D

Trust me, when it comes to building a PC - I want the job over with yesterday! I've built more computers than I care for. Did run a hardware review site some years ago. When my old laptop became too slow for the serious tasks I'm doing (mainly photography), i decided I wanted a computer that just works. So i got a 27" iMac. Won't look back, that's for sure!

The review site... Sad to think about now, but I once tossed a CPU cooler that looked like a jet engine in the garbage. The heatsink was obsolete, but I wish I had saved that fan! How cool wouldn't this one have looked inside?
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1567&page=2

Flyboyandre

Quote from: vidarf on June 29, 2012, 03:12:41 PM
Ooooooooo....kaaaaay???? That true for other areas in your life, BUD???? :D

Trust me, when it comes to building a PC - I want the job over with yesterday! I've built more computers than I care for. Did run a hardware review site some years ago. When my old laptop became too slow for the serious tasks I'm doing (mainly photography), i decided I wanted a computer that just works. So i got a 27" iMac. Won't look back, that's for sure!

The review site... Sad to think about now, but I once tossed a CPU cooler that looked like a jet engine in the garbage. The heatsink was obsolete, but I wish I had saved that fan! How cool wouldn't this one have looked inside?
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1567&page=2

Lol, awesome

shaneb

Cool . . another FLYING WILD ALASKA fan!  I know you guys are going to laugh at me but I think I would like to fly with Sarah!    ;D
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Flyboyandre

Love that show and YES Shane, i'm with you :)

vidarf

vidarf

Frustration! The memory does not seem to work with the motherboard. I'm only getting a red LED telling me that the memory modules does not work. Tried everything, but to no avail. I'll try to take everything out of the case, mount everything on a motherboard tray I have, and see if I can get it to boot. If not, either the motherboard and/or the memory is dead. RMA time... :(

Flyboyandre

Quote from: vidarf on June 30, 2012, 07:46:39 AM
Frustration! The memory does not seem to work with the motherboard. I'm only getting a red LED telling me that the memory modules does not work. Tried everything, but to no avail. I'll try to take everything out of the case, mount everything on a motherboard tray I have, and see if I can get it to boot. If not, either the motherboard and/or the memory is dead. RMA time... :(

Very likely a grounding issue and nothing more to the case Vidar. Try removing the motherboard and re-install it to make sure you have good ground to the case.

vidarf

The motherboard was faulty. It has now been exchanged for a new one, and the simulator ran FSX for the very first time today! :) And I just ordered two EFIS PRO modules from FlyEngravity! So - slowly but surely, there's progress. Been busy doing some projects in the garden, so things has not moved that fast lately. However, the winter is coming. The winter tires are mounted on the car, the boat has been brought home from the marina and I am ready for the winter months in most other respects. Time for simulator building!

As of now, I do not have the pedestal and any panels for it. I do not have a tiller, nor do I have a proper yoke and pedal setup. Not seats or a shell either, but I have some items on the way (side walls) and some roof liners w/eyebrows and the triangular trim in front of the overhead.
I have everything else, so my simulator is very flyable. As soon as I assemble the things. That's the plan for this winter at least.

But first, I need to get my new FS computer up and running and tuned for best performance. :)

Flyboyandre

Bravo!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tennyson

Hey, Vidarf,
I have almost the same computer spec. I have never had any issues with those boards.

Mine is the P8Z77-V Pro, tho. The 3770k is an awesome chip. I have been running it for some time in this PC and I haven't found the need yet, to OC it. I get good frames with it un-clocked.

I only last week, replaced the GTX580 with a 680, but there's not a whole lot of difference there.

Once you get it all up and going, you won't look back.

Good luck with it,

Frank Cooper

vidarf

Look back? To a P4 2GHz with 1024 MB RAM and some GeForce piece of crap? :D That computer actually runs FS9 pretty decent, but I will only use it for instruments now.

The mobo was DOA, the new board works great. Lots of tweaking to do though - and I HATE doing that. I ran a hardware review website for years, and we did a _lot_ of over clocking and tweaking. Sick of it.
But it'll be worth it in the end. 3x 27" monitors on a TH2G... Awesome!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate