Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
357 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 357
Total: 357

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New X-Plane 10 and Sim-Avionics videos at PAKT

Started by XOrionFE, August 29, 2012, 05:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Just made a couple quick videos this morning taking off from PAKT (Ketchikan Alaska) using my 3 computer X-Plane 10 setup running Sim-Avionics, x737, XPUIPC and some payware scenery called Final Frontier.   This was mainly to test weather drawing in the latest X10.10.9 beta that just came out where they fixed the weather rendering across multiple computer instances.   It is working great now.    This is really starting to come together for me and the combination above seems to be the best right now for anyone looking to go this route.   

Here are the videos, keep in mind, not perfect procedure flying and still some issues to work out not to mention one-handed camera filming flying so dont be overly critical  :-[

I hope you will enjoy

Scott

Part 1
http://youtu.be/kC5se_l61X8

Part 2
http://youtu.be/-BC5ncZhqxs

Maurice

Hi Scott,

Are you sure your projectors' native resolution is 1280x800? When I did a quick try with one projector minus TripleHead running at 1920x1080 like I believe you are, I thought the image degradation was not worth the higher resolution. But your visuals certainly look good at the higher resolution and I could not detect pixellation at least from your videos.

Anyway just curious, but I may re-visit that option when I get rid of my TripleHead. Glad to see they fixed the weather synchronization between screens. I imagine that also fixed the airplanes disappearing as they move from screen to screen.

Looks like you are well on your way to a fantastic setup with X-Plane. I just wish it could be run with only one PC and 3 undocked views (if there is such a thing in XP). If they ever enable that option, it will be very hard to resist switching  :)

One more thing; is there such a thing as instant replay in XP? If yes, you may want to film your instant replays instead of flying & filming. But your landing was excellent anyway with one hand :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Thanks Maurice.   As for the resolution this is running each one at max native for the Mitsubishi's with is 1920x1080 so you are right, it is far better than the 1280x800 I used to be limited to using the TH2GO.   Resolution and detail is very nice.   I was also able to do the same running FSX and Wideview and it looked much better than the TH2GO setup but the downside of course is having to have the two extra machines.

I will have to look for the replay feature....I hadn't thought of that.    :-)

Scott

MLeavy737

Looking great Scott!!  Cant wait to stop by again soon!

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Sam Llorca

Congratulations Scott, nice set up, great graphics, loved it, take care, Sam.

Flyboyandre

Looks fantastic Scott! Are all 3 computers running the same hardware

Maurice

What do you mean by "max native" Scott? I always thought there was only one native resolution but that a projector was capable of projecting higher resolutions albeit at less than optimal sharpness.

Since the native resolution strictly depends on the number of pixels as far as I know, max native does not make sense to me. Am I wrong or are the Mitsubishi projectors different than other brands in that respect?

Thanks,
Maurice
Edit: actually I found the answer here
http://www.projectorcentral.com/maximum_resolution.htm

XOrionFE

Quote from: maurice on August 29, 2012, 09:02:28 AM
What do you mean by "max native" Scott? I always thought there was only one native resolution but that a projector was capable of projecting higher resolutions albeit at less than optimal sharpness.

Since the native resolution strictly depends on the number of pixels as far as I know, max native does not make sense to me. Am I wrong or are the Mitsubishi projectors different than other brands in that respect?

Thanks,
Maurice
Edit: actually I found the answer here
http://www.projectorcentral.com/maximum_resolution.htm

Reading into my statement too much Maurice.  I just mean the maximum resolution my projectors can do.

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 29, 2012, 11:29:10 AM

Reading into my statement too much Maurice.  I just mean the maximum resolution my projectors can do.

That's what I thought as well.
Thanks

XOrionFE

I still think 5 60 inch LCD displays would be nicer :-)

XOrionFE

Quote from: Flyboyandre on August 29, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
Looks fantastic Scott! Are all 3 computers running the same hardware

Thanks Andre

Yes, all 3 computers are exactly the same.

Jetcos

Something like this? Not enough space to back up and get all 5 in the picture. Also a view from inside.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 29, 2012, 05:09:30 PM
I still think 5 60 inch LCD displays would be nicer :-)

So I guess you'll be shopping soon for 2 more PCs and 5 monitors  ;D

Maurice

XOrionFE

Quote from: Jetcos on August 29, 2012, 06:11:17 PM
Something like this? Not enough space to back up and get all 5 in the picture. Also a view from inside.

Oh wow!   Drooling Steve...

That is exactly what I would like.    That looks like it would be my utopia.   How is the view?

Maurice, I am thinking just 3 computers still since each has a dual output video card .   I would possibly think Of using one on main computer for center then two on each visual only computer for total of 5.   Each monitor would be 40-45 degrees worth of view.

Who wants to buy 3 gently used Mitsubishi ew230 short throw DLP projectors???!! :-)

Scott

Maurice

Let's face it Scott, you'll never be happy until you have CAE visuals and a full motion sim  :). Neither will I for that matter but the damn lottery tickets are not paying off  ;D

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 29, 2012, 06:35:49 PM

Maurice, I am thinking just 3 computers still since each has a dual output video card .   I would possibly think Of using one on main computer for center then two on each visual only computer for total of 5.   Each monitor would be 40-45 degrees worth of view.

Scott

If you could do that, then in theory you should be able to use one computer with 3 views and I thought this wasn't possible with XP. Or is it possible but you would end up with a slide show?

Wouldn't what you are thinking about be going back to using undocked views? This is all very confusing so I'm glad I can't afford to even think about switching to XP  ;)

Maurice

XOrionFE

Quote from: maurice on August 29, 2012, 06:59:43 PM
Quote from: XOrionFE on August 29, 2012, 06:35:49 PM

Scott

If you could do that, then in theory you should be able to use one computer with 3 views and I thought this wasn't possible with XP. Or is it possible but you would end up with a slide show?

Wouldn't what you are thinking about be going back to using undocked views? This is all very confusing so I'm glad I can't afford to even think about switching to XP  ;)

Maurice

In X-plane you can't do the multiple views like we do in FSX so you are right.  My idea would be to have front computer doing 45 degrees fov at a 5 degree viewpoint.    Then each side computer would be two monitors but to windows and xplane they would be extended and 90 degree fov each at eye point angles that would line up with the center.   May even need to use two center monitors so each is the same.   I don't think frame rate would drop too much by adding the extra monitor on each computer and doubling the fov.

Ideally though because you can't do the multiple viewpoints in undocked windows mode the ultimate may very well be 5 computers and 5 monitors but even I am not that crazy....   Just thinking it may be nice and possible to do something with 5 or 6 monitors on 3 computers.

You have a great running setup with excellent view on FSX just like I had before this endeavor and there is something to be said about not breaking what is working and keeping it simple.  for most, I think the FSX path is great if limited on computer resources.   I just love x-plane so much I had no choice but to go down this path to get the system I wanted.  Currently if you want x-plane and wraparound visuals then multiple computers is a must but if you like FSX I would still stick with one and the undocked views.

Scott

Jetcos

That was 5 x Sony 60" LED TV's.

5 PC's with Wideview running.

I overlapped the frames so it was only the thickness of the single frame. The frames disappear after 5 mins and you don't even notice them after that. I was too busy watching all the activity at the airport and taxing to the runway.

Maurice, this is the setup we flew at the old shop, minus the 2 side screens.

Flightdeck Solutions B737NG FBPT Take Off - St. Maarten

Flightdeck Solutions B737NG FBPT Arrival into Princess Julia Airport

Some videos with Captain Mau in command. 3 screens running here.

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate