Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
456 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 456
Total: 456

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Flashing CDU's

Started by Sam Llorca, December 19, 2012, 03:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Quote from: Sam Llorca on January 03, 2013, 06:34:15 AM
Hi Mau, no I didn't use a separate computer. I use different video cards and reset the windows on the same pc.

Well you really need to try what I suggested as it will help track the cause of this problem and it is not a hard thing to do if you have a spare computer.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Sam Llorca

Ok Mau, I'll try that, thanks.

saabpilot

Sam, my building mate has a similar problem with flashing displays - he had a PC speaker situated too close to the display.
If you have a speaker near the CDU:s check that one, just an idea.
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

sagrada737

Who's CDU was your friend using?  Did he do any RFI shielding on the interface cable or housing?  Did he change any cable routing locations?

I plan on using FDS CDUs.  Anyone had any issues with electrical interference or other anomalies with these units?

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Sam Llorca

Hi Bjorne, No speakers near by, no rewiring or cable routing either, it all started when we were working on getting the throttle quadrant to work with Sim-A software, we also calibrated the joystick that day, I believe is got something to do with software compatibility because we upgraded Sim-A software at the same time.

saabpilot

Mike,

That was no CDU flashing, but three 20" screens connected to a TH2G. They had extra speakers close to the #1 and #3 screen.
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

Garys

Upgraded Sim-A and then the problem started. I think you just nailed the problem.  Best thing, do as Maurice suggested with a clean install of sim A on a separate machine. Bet you don't have the problem after doing that.

Gary

brianwilliamson

Similar problem here with flashing MCDU's. It is an RF intereference problem and mine is caused by when I turn on the 400 hz. power supply for the Airbus cockpit seats, then I get flashing. Turn the power supply off and it stops !
I am waiting for a couple of new USB cables to arrive to see if that will shield them a little better and will look at the wiring shields on the power supplies to see if it has an earth loop.
All the little fun things that take up a lot of time to find.......

Hope that helps find the problem for you.
Regards...........Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim
plus 3 control computers.

Sam Llorca

Thank you Brian, I don't have any power amp Next or near by, but I like the idea of changing the USB cables for shield ones, thank you again.

Trevor Hale

Sam, when I was using 2 PSOne Screens for my CDU's (With a Y Cable) "RCA CONNECTION" Not USB I had seen them flash before...  If I remember right they were actually flashing after shutting down the FMC Software computer.  Even when I disconnected the video feed.  Bright white, then off, Bright white then off etc.  I remember turning the power on and off them quite a few times to get them to stop..  And I do remember them stopping, I just don't really remember what caused it to happen.  I haven't had my FMC working in a long time, but I think if I was you and just took one out and plugged it into your FMC Machine with a short cable you would see pretty quick if that was a cable or noise issue.

I hope you already solved this and I am just blittering on like an goof for no reason.. 
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Is this the screens themselves that are flashing?   or the keys??

Did you check your video card to make sure it is set to NTSC and not PAL.  That could be causing this issue.

Scott

Garys

Please Sam, Don't take this the wrong way, but being able to troubleshoot and isolate problems is a big part of cockpit building. You have had some very good suggestions given to you by great members of this forum. If they haven't worked at some point you need bite the bullet  and remove those cdu's from there current location and try them on a different system. Your eventually going to drive yourself insane with this.

Gary

Sam Llorca

Hi Gary I know that I have to do something about it to isolate the problem, but I'm afraid, I spend three months to get this sim to run again and thanks to Steve FDS after long hours of hard work We got it to work again, I was blame of all the problems caused, I don't want to be blamed again,  there was a suggestion to do a  system restore, I tried and I lost trim setting, I got it to work again, I strongly believe is the sim-a software, but  I'm TERRIFIED to load a previous version and screw things things up, I take very serious all the suggestions you guys ask me to do, like Maurice suggested to try a clean sim-a install in a diferent computer and I know he is right, that's what I should be doing but I'm super SCARE to touch anything else, hope you understand, you guys are great!!! But I'm not touching anything without knowledgable supervision, sorry.

blueskydriver

Hi Sam,

You should not be scared to work on your sim. You just need more time to understand what is doing what. In all the years of doing my sim, I have redone it twice. Both times because I upgraded computers, but I still have the older ones to mess around with and learn from. Another thing too understand is that before you mess with any file(s), you save a backup of it before hand. In fact, you should be mirror driving your entire system, so if A drive fails B drive can take over, and that will keep you from losing sim time. As you already experienced, having your sim down sucks!

Still, until you learn more, you are right to trend lightly, so too speak. If it keeps your sim flying, then that is what you do. However, I also agree with Gary because troubleshooting is a "daily" thing with sims...lol.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Jetcos

Just wanted to point out that I have been working with Sam behind the scenes. Also from talking to Sam he has been in teh sim game for a while and is always taking it to the next level. This one being the highest so far. Quick learner so as well!

The CDU issue is a mystery as we have more than 500 out there and not seeing any issues with the actual CDU related to screens flashing. I also see it flashing when logged in remotely so if it was the screen itself I wouldn't see it.

Now that I am back I am going to jump in again and try and sort out the CDU and install the latest version of Sim-A for Sam.

After I dig out of the snowstorm we are having!
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

brianwilliamson

I should also mention that after seeing the video, that you are getting white screens whereas I am getting black screens. Not sure what the difference is, but will check in here with my findings as soon as the USB cables get installed. It may also be interference on the video cable, so I will look into that if the USB cable does not help.

Cheers................Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim

brianwilliamson

OK, found the blinking trouble on my MCDU's. It was a bad centre pin connection on the power supply of the input.

For some reason, both of my MCDU's had some sort of corrosion on the center pins and had to be cleaned to rectify the problem.
A tricky fault to find !

Regards................Brian W.

Sam Llorca

Thank you for your information Brian, I will look at the power input plugs this weekend, I'll let you know the results, Cheers.

brianwilliamson

Please Check To See If You Are Having a Problem With Intermittent Connections:

The final result of this problem I have only just discovered. How we think we have the answer and after ages it turns out to be something completely different !
I ended up getting black screens on one MCDU with only the one connected in the Console. If I moved or touched the console the MCDU would go black screen and the lack of USB connection would sound on the speakers. Well, we pulled everything out and put new USB cables in etc. etc...........It seemed to be getting worse not better.
Finally pulled the FO MCDU out and no problems, so what was the cause.
Ended up being an earth connection from the second MCDU touching the aluminium rails and connecting to the Capt. MCDU.
So you need to isolate the 2 MCDU's so that they do not connect to each other on their chassis'.
This was happening only because of the power supplies. Bad plugpacks.

Hope this may solve some very nasty problems.

jackpilot

Hi Brian
Not sure I uderstand where the ground contact came from.
Are your CDU the latest from FDS ?
Jack

Jack

brianwilliamson

Yes Jack, the latest MCDU's from FDS. I am not sure Why or how yet, as I will do some thorough testing today with a CRO. I have both power supplies plugged in to a 240V socket, and if i have only one MCDU connected (for testing) via the USB ,video and power supply and then with the second power supply lead, I touch the frame of the connected MCDU with the earh side of the of the secnd power supply, I get the screen problem, which in fact seems to be turning off the USB connection.
So it is probbably an earth leak or a voltage leak somewhere, so will post results later today.
I might add that the 2 power supplies are from FDS, so not sure of the setup, but they are only 2 pins on the 240V side so are floating earth, therefore the earth side of the 12V output should be isolated, but will check.
Regards..............Brian W.

fdspcos

With this sort of issue you really should be contacting us at FDS Brian....
Peter

brianwilliamson

I will do that Peter as soon as I get some conclusive details. It maybe due to induced voltage from all the power cords , both A.C. and DC. It will take a bit of tracking, but am certain I can find the cause . Will keep you informed.
Regards.............Brain W.

brianwilliamson

It appears the power supplies are putting out too much RF and getting the USB to shut down, which is either caused by movement and or proximity to the RF field.
Cure: I connected up a reliable 13.8 Volt 15 Amp  power supply to both MCDU's which has no ripple at all and this seems to have cured the fault.
I will now rew-install back in the cockpit and check for resuts.

Sam Llorca

Thank you for the post Brian, I will try to isolate the CDU's from the frame, let see if it works before I go blind with white flashes in my face every time I fly.
... and with all your respect Peter, I think we should post the good the bad and the ugly, sharing ideas is how we get results. Cheers.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate