Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 12:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
491 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 497
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 491
Total: 491

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FPS and Projector Resolutions Based color depth settings?

Started by blueskydriver, January 15, 2013, 07:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

I decided to break this into a new thread because I just did some basic checking on the idea of the color bit depth we're all using with our projectors and graphics card settings.

Here is copy of the other post that got me on this subject:

"A line of thinking makes me think of what happens when you drop the amount of bit colors? Normally, we all use 16 million colors or 32 bit color, but what happens in medium 16 bit color range? For example, I just dropped my lcd monitor in front of me to 16 bit and the colors were there; however, it got a little dimmer. So, I could compensate by increasing or adjusting the brightness and contrast of the monitor itself in it's on screen settings.

Therefore, a theory would be to see what happens if we did the same with the projectors? If the bit rate of the color data is lowered, the amount of graphics the CPU has to crunch is lowered, and assuming we can compensate/adjust the brightness/contrast in the projectors, we should be able to match what is seen in the higher bit level.

I just finished flying from KMSP to KSLC, but I am going to fire the FSX computer backup and turn the projectors back on just to see what it'll look like. Although, I will not change the resolutions, it'll only be the color bit depth..."

Okay, so I changed the bit depth to 16 bit colors and I really didn't notice a change in the colors projected. Then, I fired up FSX, but due to the fact that my TH2GO is set for 3840x800x32, as well as my file with the Preset Load File for the windows and 3 projectors is set at the same, it will convert the image back to 32bit. Therefore, I'll have to change the TH2GO and the Preset Load File to use 16 bit depth, but I cannot do it right now. I have been up for 19 hours (20 now that I typed this post) already!

I will do more testing tonight...in the mean time will anyone else want to give this a try, even the LCD guys could try it. Imagine, if by chance, we'd get better FPS by lowering the color bit depth and by up'ing the actual levels on the LCD or Projectors, the colors would not change much.

Here is another question, has anyone even thought about this aspect before? Or, if you remember, we all used FS98, FS2000 or FS9 on slower computers, but back in the day it was 16bit right, so when the new 32bit depth standard came along the older programs and computers could not handle 32bit. Yet, we lived with 16bit and only did we start drooling with the 32bit as it was being used in FSX; consequently, we all made the jump to new computers to get 32bit and because FSX answered the 32bit situation (FSX used 32bit and we all wanted it, so going to a 32bit capable machine solved it).

Okay, I am rambling on, but my point is this, has anyone really ran FSX in 16bit color depth, in the backwards sense? In the past, going to 32bit mode killed the older computers, but we now have the faster computers, so going back to 16bit is what I am getting at. Another way to see this is, think about FSX looking good, being faster, but at the color depth of FS9, if that makes sense at all?

Now, on a different note, but related because Maurice mentioned the washout; here is another thing I just (re-)discovered. Has anyone really thought about the curve and the effects of reflections on the entire screen causing the washout spectrum, and then comparing that to the flat 3 screens? I am sure people have, but I was looking at the curve screen just now and what I noticed was that I usually keep my desktop screen color settings to black. However, I opened an almost full white window that covered 1/3 of the entire projected images. Guess what happens to the rest of projected area (the other 2/3's)? That white winodw reflected onto the other two screens a lot. I closed the window, no more reflection.

Thus, what I am guessing is that when you're using the sim (FSX), the colors and brightness are bouncing or reflecting all over the place, even more so than what 3 flat screens would be. However, I am not saying that 3 flat screens is the answer. I am saying that a curve screen is going to produce a whole lot more than 3 flat screens. So, too me, the old story of screen material comes back into play; a good screen with a low reflection is going to look a whole lot better than a very reflective screen. Of course most of us know this, but did you actually follow this line of thinking in getting your screen and get a lower reflective screen to reduce the bounce or washout?

Mind you, I am not directing this at Maurice or anyone else...Maurice just gives me good ideas because he complains about things (IN A GOOD WAY) and it makes me want to fix it some how. I tend to sit around thinking about this stuff...how many of you remember me solving the Jet Fuel scent? Well, there you go, that is what I do...lol

Finally, being serious again, I am certainly talking two different subjects here. One, the color bit depth and two, the screen reflection values. If the color bit depth reduction increases FPS and a better, less reflective, screen were used, what would be the overall outcome? I am sure the washout would be reduced, but it's the FPS vs color bit depth that needs looking into further?

John

Ps. If you made it this far by reading everything, I admire you because I am so tired that I can't read it again. I might sound totally senseless and thereby, my typing is slap happy crazy, but I don't care. If you see any typos, ignore them, I am too tired to fix them...lol.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Me complain??? Never! I'm just pointing out the 'deficiencies' in our hobby ;D You must stop inhaling that jet fuel scent John before the nice men in white coats come to carry you away.

As for the color depth, I too tried going to 16 bits a while back but it kept changing to 32 as you mentioned. So I just tried it on my laptop and it did not make any difference in the fame rates that I could detect. After all, we are still talking about the same number of pixels so I'm not too surprised.  But perhaps on a much bigger screen, this may be a factor although I think we are scratching the bottom of the barrel trying to get more performance out of FSX.

Whatever reflections are happening is not something that bothers me enough to change to a flat screen. I have finally come to my senses a few weeks ago and I am accepting the fact that this is a home-built simulator that I could never have dreamed of 5 years ago so I am sucking it up and accepting the fact that I will never have a Level D simulator. Poor me and my First World 'problems' !!!  ;D

So I have decided to stop chasing rainbows and live with what I have hardware wise. Software is another story and if P3D or something else becomes a viable option, then for sure I will try it but only after other more adventurous types have blazed a trail  :)

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

fsaviator

I have to agree with Mau here on the washout.  I am not bothered by the small join in my screens nor the slight reflection off my screens.  I can live with that.  I will say that my last screen was painted the same grey color that the Air Force uses on their planes and the reflection was a lot less than my current one that is painted an off white.  It was just a matter of what paint I had available here at the house.  I couldn't bring the gray over with me.

I still  need to adjust Nthusim a bit so the top and bottom of the images curve upwards/downwards on the ends resulting in a better vanishing point but like everything...  on hold while I get my fill of flying.

I'll give the color-depth a go this evening and see what I get for frame rates.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate