Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:53:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
480 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 497
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 480
Total: 480

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What you should know about changing a tire in an AWD vehicle

Started by Maurice, January 16, 2013, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

READ your MANUAL!  A couple of nights ago, I had a flat tire at night on a highway. I wanted to change the tire myself of course but my wife insisted I call CAA since it was night and she thought it wasn't safe to do it myself. Reluctantly I agreed and it turned out to be a good thing.

Since I never read the manual, I would simply have installed the narrow spare & been on my way. But the CAA guy informed me that I needed to disable the AWD otherwise it could cause serious & expensive damage to the transfer case or something like that.

Sure enough, in the manual, it talked about it and it was a simple matter to disable it (this is a Subaru Forested by the way).

Anyway, if you own an AWD with one of these narrow spares, you may want to read your manual in case this applies to your car as well. This is not a flight deck building issue but you need all your money for the flight deck and not to fix a transmission :)

Incidentally, I had bought a hydraulic jack to replace the cheap crap they supply. As it turned out, 16" height was not enough to raise the Subaru enough to replace a tire. Even if I had tried, I would not have been able to change the tire. Live & learn I guess.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Trevor Hale

Good advice Mau, I would never have thought of that either.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

simlady/ Karen

Sometimes, you just have to listen to the wife.

I know its hard but look on the bright side, you didn't ruin your car and have to listen to "I told you...." for the next 20 years.

BSD would never hear the end of it...  ;D

blueskydriver

She is so right...I am still hearing about the time I drove onto a trailer with my wheelchair and I went up the ramps, but it was steeper than what I thought! I and the wheelchair flip over backwards, with me under the chair. We're talking heavy electric wheelchair.

She told me not to do it, but being the man I am, like any other, did it my way. Sad thing is, that was the second time! First time, I was alone and in which case, had no one to remind me of it... Needless to say, I listen now...okay, more then I used too...lol!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate