Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 03:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
348 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Young Eagles and sharing your sim...

Started by blueskydriver, February 19, 2013, 03:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Some of you may have heard of the Young Eagles (YE) Program (USA), but if you haven't, the YE is a program started by the EAA to get younger kids/people into flying. They start by joining the YE, then meeting monthly to progressing through initial learning and appreciation for aviation, and then moving onto ground school material. Afterwards, the member can start training for a PPL with an associated EAA/YE trainer.

Now that you know what YE is, you can help them out further by allowing them to visit your sim or you be a guest speaker. If you call up any EAA Chapter where YE is ongoing and explain what you have, I am sure they'd like to get you involved with these young folks. As for myself, I have been doing it off and on for a long time. Be it the simulator or RC airplanes, I have been happily passing my knowledge onto these future generation of pilots. Yet, there is never enough of me to go around.

This past weekend I was the guest speaker for the local YE near me and I was scheduled to speak about RC airplanes and how they relate to full scale. Well, little did I know I'd be speaking to 35+ members. That number may be small, but cram them all into an airport pilot shack meant for 8-10 people; well, that 35+ feels really big. Anyway, I was scheduled for 30 mins, but the following speaker after me couldn't make it, so I got 90 mins.

I started the discussion about two RC planes I took with me, but it eventually led to my simulators and the Cockpit Builders website. It was amazing seeing kids and adults alike with excitment in their eyes when I told them there is a whole worldwide community of simulator builders that are obessed about all things sims. The more I spoke, the more excited they got and the more they asked questions. I had an 8 year old asking "how does Scott run 5 big LCD's?" or other teenagers asking things like "do you think Maurice would let me live with him and his wife?"; "FDS really made stuff for the movies and all you guys (that purchased FDS items) have the same stuff?"; "how many more sim builders are near us?"; "are there some sims that move or have motion?"...I told them about Sam; "how many B727 sims are around besides yours (mine) in the driveway?"...I told them about Joe Maldenado and Michael; "where can I buy real airplane parts?"...I told them about Nick and Airline Pilot's Historical Society.

I went into a lot of things about others, from Trevor and Bob who brought us all together that much more, to all those that have influenced everyone else: like Ivar, Nat, Jack, James Price, Matt Ford, Warren (being a solider and having a sim), and even Karen's F16. Of course the girls in the group loved the part about the pink poster board with black spots that said "Girls Rule"! In the end, it was very fun answering the questions. However, the one question I got answered, was that I never really knew there were so many young people right here in my own area that were so interested in flying real planes, as well as RC and Sims.

Thus, this is the whole point of my posting, I invite all sim builders to check into their area too see if a YE program is nearby or at least an EAA Chapter. As for Canada, Europe, Asia and other parts of the world you should check into finding other similar groups that you could have visit your sim or you could be a guest speaker for. Additionally, there are many schools; especially, home school kids looking for some real encouragement and inspirational people to look up too in the area of aviation. Therefore, you really should open yourself up to passing your knowledge and experiences onto these eager, future pilots (real, RC or sim)...

Finally, in March, I'll have a group of home school kids coming, and then throughout the Spring and Summer the YE members will be visiting my sim on their meeting nights. I'll post some pics and hopefully some videos later on...

John

Ps. I am typing this while in my sim, flying alone from Minneapolis to Daytona Beach, and the thoughts of having a co-pilot(s) for awhile is very thrilling indeed. I hope all of you will do the same...

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Thanks for posting this John. 

When we were actively flying GA out in California (CMA), we participated in the Young Eagles program in cooperation with our local chapter of the EAA.  It was a wonderful experience sharing our love of flying with young people.  Many times, young people simply need a chance to get close to the real world in positive and constructive ways.  In the case of the Young Eagles program, it is a way for adults to inspire kids to dream big and plan for your future.  In a today's culture of sex and violence, it is good to afford kids healthy alternatives to help shape their mind, body and soul.  Sharing our simulators is a great way to enhance your local Young Eagles program, and I encourage folks that have the time and inclination to do so.  You just may impact a young person's life forever, in a very positive manner.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate