Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:13:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
456 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 456
Total: 456

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Hijacking threads...bad or sometimes good?

Started by Maurice, February 24, 2013, 07:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I (along with many others) am often guilty of hijacking threads by asking questions which are off topic. I never mean to do so but it is quite easy to do since you cannot & probably should not start a new thread for every simple off topic question you might have.

But when an off topic question or comment starts to mushroom into a big discussion, that is not fair to the person who started the new thread. At this point, the first 'derailer' should probably start a new topic and continue the discussion there.

So, for my part, I am going to try much harder to keep my comments/ questions on topic. But if I or anyone else fails to do so, we should all understand if someone's jumps in and reminds us this was a hijack.

But I am also confused about my own feelings on this subject. A lot of the very interesting and sometimes very funny discussions that happen from time to time happen precisely after a hijack of some sort and may not have happened if the first 'hijacker' did not bother starting a new thread.

And for some reason, I never ever care when my own posts are hijacked because I always welcome new interesting discussions whether they are related to my topic or not. I'm never offended when that happens but others may be.

So, I just want to know what you guys think about this. Maybe we can reach a consensus about the best way to operate. In my opinion, hijacking makes discussions more lively & interesting but I'm sure not everyone feels that way.

Comments?

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

As a moderator my "job" has been "tiny"..lol
And this is  probably the best indication of a lively and great forum.
What you do and what we all do in that matter  (diverting/highjacking) is fine I think, this is what a forum is all about!:Discussion
Which means following a thread that can go left and right, up and down as long as basic fairness and behaviour are well in check.

Opening a new topic, well identified, (for future info retrieval) is a valid idea on a fairly tech post but otherwise let the discussion run its course.
We are a good bunch of friends, well versed in simbuilding, ready to share with newcomers and IMHO exchanging info and opinions in a balanced way.
My2¢

Jack

Maurice

Fully agree with you Jack. The less interference the better within reasonable limits of course. If things get out of hand too far,  either the moderator or the thread originator can step in and re-direct the conversation if really needed.

I think this post is really not needed, so please delete it. No point anybody wasting time reading it I think.

Maurice

jackpilot

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on February 24, 2013, 09:23:29 AM
Nope.

Would be against what we just said! :D

Only if requested by someone else and not the originator  :)

Maurice

Maurice

blueskydriver

Hi Maurice and Jack,

-Maurice, your post is not a waste of time too read; actually, Karen and I sat here talking about it for a while. What we arrived at is similar too what Jack posted. In addition, we have this idea:

Make more sub-category forum titles

For example, these sub-categories could be related to what the general topics would be or likely advance into. So, a category for:

-MIPs
-MCP/EFISs
-Overheads
-Pedestals
-Projectors and Screens
-Input/Output Devices
-Input/Output Cards
-Computer Hardware
-Computer Software
-Avionic Suites

That is 10 sub-categories that are the most common subjects beyond what the current categories are now being used on CB. The point is to help narrow down things a bit, but still allowing off topic too happen. However, I or anyone would know what the topic is likely going to follow. Right now most things get started in the General category, so it can be taken that it's okay to talk about anything no matter what the thread is.

Finally, I wish there was a way (or is there already) to have the category shown as to where the thread comes from on the rightside column of "recent posts" on the homepage. I believe a lot of regular users are just going to that first, so knowing what or where things are coming from would help that concept...

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Those are excellent ideas John especially the one about having "the category shown as to where the thread comes from"

As far as the sub-categories are concerned, this is good as well but would only work if you were forced to select one AND if you can have the category shown as mentioned above. Otherwise, you are back in the same boat if you only look at the recent posts when you log in.

Anyway, no idea if Trevor can or wants to implement those things but I wish he would if it's possible.

Maurice

Garys

Hey guys, Im looking for a new MCP. Anybody know any good manufactures?  :laugh:

GAry

jackpilot

Used to be a good one in Australia...Aero ..smthg ?? :laugh:

Jack

blueskydriver

Check the new "MCP Category"! Oh wait, it's not started yet...and that's how you bring it back on topic...lol.

;D
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Garys

Quote from: blueskydriver on February 24, 2013, 12:10:14 PM
Check the new "MCP Category"! Oh wait, it's not started yet...and that's how you bring it back on topic...lol.

;D

That's a good one... Love it  :)

Gary

Maurice

blueskydriver

I hijacked Johns Ipad while he works on something else. Been hearing alot about this and thought i would put my dollars worth in, being a women, i cost more.  8)

Since i hijacked, it still falls under the subject, right?

fsaviator

To get back to the original topic of the thread ;D
I have to side with Jack on this one, Mau.  As you know, I tend to inadvertently hijack threads from time to time but like Jack said, we are a close enough group of friends that when it happens, I tend to think it's no different than sitting around a table having a drink and hanging out.

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on February 24, 2013, 01:04:39 PM
I hijacked Johns Ipad while he works on something else. Been hearing alot about this and thought i would put my dollars worth in, being a women, i cost more.  8)

Since i hijacked, it still falls under the subject, right?

Jack, I told you to delete this topic. What we have now is women committing illegal acts. Where will this end  ;D

Maurice

simlady/ Karen

XOrionFE

Quote from: fsaviator on February 24, 2013, 01:15:48 PM
I have to side with Jack on this one, Mau.  As you know, I tend to inadvertently hijack threads from time to time but like Jack said, we are a close enough group of friends that when it happens, I tend to think it's no different than sitting around a table having a drink and hanging out.

You buyin' Warren??? :cheers:

Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

fsaviator

Quote from: XOrionFE on February 24, 2013, 03:18:37 PM
Quote from: fsaviator on February 24, 2013, 01:15:48 PM

You buyin' Warren??? :cheers:

Scott

You bet!
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

jskibo

So who's going to win the NFC next year?   ;)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on February 25, 2013, 09:33:01 AM
So who's going to win the NFC next year?   ;)

You see Jack, I told you to delete this thread or it would deteriorate into a free for all insanity fest. Let's not forget the maturity level of this group of lunatics, yours truly included  ;D

Maurice

jackpilot

Had a glimpse of it during our last meet at the Open House in Newmarket/ Sim Fest Hospîtality at AirMau's FBO.
And I must say ..I loved it!! ;)

Jack

jackpilot

OK this post is deleted... Please Hijack it as much as you want... ;D ;D

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate