Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 05:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
541 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 558
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 541
Total: 541

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Extending Wifi coverage in the home

Started by Sean, March 09, 2013, 10:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Does anyone have experience of wifi extenders of any kind?

My sim room is currently connected wirelessly to the internet, and the signal isn't the best. I've seen wifi extenders that claim to boost the wifi signal, and I've also seen the kind that use your homes power wiring to send the data through that.

I could put the modem/router in the sim room without too much trouble, but that would deteriorate the signal to the rest of the house, where there are more users using more bandwith.

How good a connection does the sim really need for those online services like VATSIM, etc? It seems to work ok, but I'm concious that the signal could be much better.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

SN

rhysb

Sean,

I have not used the plug socket ones myself but I have seen them in action and they seem to work well

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Boeing Skunk Works

Get another line dedicated to the sim room with a bandwidth limit so it doesn't cost as much as your first line.

Not saying that's possible with your ISP, just sayin'.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

rprather

I have the WD Livewire (uses home's electrical wiring) and a Linksys wireless extender (my rouer is upstairs). The WD Livewire is cool, but is relatively slow (roughly 300-500 kb/s). The wireless extender can easily give speeds in the megabytes (on computers downstairs) depending on the spacing between the extender and the wireless router. I'm on a wireless G router, and will soon upgrade to N, which I anticipate being significantly faster, especially with file shares and media streaming.

Kennair

Sean I use the powerline networking units and they work great.  They're rated at 500 kb/s which may seem limiting depending on your ISP speeds but in the real world they are more than adequate.  I can stream and download large files as well as network several computers including the 2 sim computers around the home and its as easy as plugging an adaptor into the nearest socket.  My router is wireless N also and I get good signal around the house.  Online ATC doesn't require much bandwidth, more important is connection integrity, it doesn't like dropouts.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Mink

Hi
I am also using the powerline solution. working without problems.
i am having also the one with an integrated wlan hotspot, so that i am able to use my tablet etc in the cockpit.
i am using the devolo 500 wireless+ kit.

Kresimir

dc8flightdeck

I couldnt use pilot edge ATC due to a poor signal, but I purchased a wireless repeater from Amazon and that fixed my connection problems.

Don

We have a three story home . I have just put in a UniFi WiFi system in
and I am getting 4 bars at the furthest point of the home on the ground floor. I am very happy with the setup
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

fsaviator

Quote from: Mink on March 10, 2013, 09:31:34 PM
Hi
I am also using the powerline solution. working without problems.
i am having also the one with an integrated wlan hotspot, so that i am able to use my tablet etc in the cockpit.
i am using the devolo 500 wireless+ kit.

Kresimir

Kresimir,
I see from our sidebar you live in Germany.  Are there any drops in the ethernet connection?
Are you having any issues at all with the Devolo 500's?  I'm currently bridging with two wireless routers but I'm not happy with the speed on Vatsim.  I already don't have the best internet connection as the Telekom lines are old, and KabelBW still hasn't hit my neighborhood.

I'm seriously debating getting three of the doubles with the power plugs.  I can get them for 149 Euro total.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Mink

Hi Warren
Sure you will not get the speed of a real ethernet connection, but the speed ist enough for me.
i am getting an average speed of 160 mbit/sec through the powerlines. M yrouter is in the First Floor, and my sim in the cellar. Speed depends on the powerline and the range.
But is still enough to watch movies in Full HD from my NAS, ;D
Best way is to buy them from Amazon and try them. you have the14 days time frame in which you can send them back, and getting your money back.
I am glad that i bought them.

http://www.amazon.de/devolo-dLAN-500-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0094EI1BS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363118270&sr=8-2

Kresimir

fsaviator

That's a great idea!  I only get 10Mbps anyway on these old Telekom lines.  I'll give it a try!

Thanks,

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate