Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
737 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 743
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 737
Total: 737

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Trip Report-to SwissTeknik in Arizona

Started by blueskydriver, March 21, 2013, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

I am sorry that I didn't write this sooner, but I had family matters to deal with. However, I am now back to my "normal" crazy life of sim building...lol! Thus, what follows is my story about visiting SwissTeknik in Tempe, Arizona two weeks ago.

The trip started when I contacted Chris from SwissTeknik (I will call them STN for short) on Friday, March 8th. We spoke about what I wanted and all the items STN had. So, on Saturday, March 9th (2013) at 9am, I started with the plan to drive, sleep, drive, sleep and etc. until I got there by Monday. Of course, Chris learned about my craziness right away, as soon as I said I was coming rather than just shipping the items which would've been 3 times cheaper over my trip.

Too me it was not about the parts as it was so much more about needing a road trip away from my sim. Sometimes, we all need breaks; although, my break was still about the sim. Anyway, I left on Saturday and by that night my hometown got 8-12 inches of snow, so I missed that...sort of! Let's just say I drove through it, as well as the rain/sleet storm, thunderstorm, wind storm and sand storm behind that snow...in fact, let me say it was horrible for weather all the way there!

Now, with all that bad weather, I didn't get to Tempe until that Monday evening and well after STN closed for the day. Yet, I had been calling Chris along the way and being that he knew that I needed to get back home right away, he come back to work after hours to sell me the items, give me a tour and just explain what STN is all about. I gotta say Chris is a great guy and even though we never met before, he treated me like a great friend. Not to mention that he and I drove around looking for an ATM machine since I wanted to pay him cash, but it came down too him accepting a personal check because my ATM card was blocked by my bank for purposes of preventing thieves from stealing my card and using it (I should've called the bank on Monday to let them know where I was).

Surely, you can see that I had a lot of issues on the way there, as well as when I got there. Furthermore, I had planned to go to Mike's house on the way back to spend a night helping him, but the family matters got worse, so I had to get back home even faster than I planned. Even Simlady was offering to fly and meet me, so I could get back faster. Albeit, she didn't have too and I got home on Thursday, March 14th...

Finally, I can attest that buying items from Chris and STN is a great idea. They're very helpful and great at spending the time with the customer to help them get what they want. Additionally, I saved this part of the story until the end; I purchased a complete set of B737 circuit breaker panels because Chris accepted my offer price!

Therefore, some think STN prices seem high; however, what is being missed is that Chris will accept other reasonable offers over the posted price, and all you have too do is ask him like I did. Another thing is the parts are coming off tear downs that are pretty recent...within the last two years, so the parts are extremely clean...uh, well maybe and that is only because I started picking a lot of them up to look at while I was in the STN warehouse, so maybe my finger prints are on them...lol.

One last thing, if you're looking for real parts, give Chris from SwissTeknik a call or send him a PM. He is now a member here, so he'll be easy to contact. I plan to get more items from him soon...Thanks Chris.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jskibo

Less than 4 years to retirement......

blueskydriver

Thanks John,

It'd be nice too see others write trip reports about other businesses, places or events relating to flight simulation more often. It would help everyone make informed decisions, as well as provide good reading...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Hey John,

When it comes to X-country driving - your the man!  Glad you made it back safely.  I sure did miss having you stop by on your way back from Tucson, but I understand the situation.  Maybe next time...

Anyway, thanks for providing us with a good trip report, and taking the time to do so.  Best wishes with your new panels.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Boeing Skunk Works

OK, I have to ask, why the name SwissTeknik?

This name reminds me of the maintenance hangar in Münich with Lufthansa Technik over the doors.

You are certainly not located in Schweiß. Is this a US branch of a Swiss business?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

Just an update, the Circuit Breaker Panels are going into the sim this week...pretty quick work actually...pictures forthcoming soon. I can't say enough about how good of a condition these CB Panels are in. So, if you're looking for real parts, I really suggest you give Chris a call or send him a PM.

I am very happy I made the trip to SwissTeknik,

John

simlady/ Karen

I have to say that the panels are looking nice in John's Sim....but.... if you plan on doing this add on to your Sim, butter up your wife/ girlfriend/ or sig other before you start.

Let me tell you why....

Your going to be sending her to the lumber store, not once, not twice but three times because you ran out of 1 x 2's and 2 x 2's.
Then you'll change your mind and need some 2 x 4's for support, back she goes.
Then you'll notice that you don't have enough L-bracket's, T- brackets so you send her for more. Make sure you tell her what size you need.
Then you need to have her go back and get more screws because the 2 boxes of 8 x 2, 2 boxes of 8 x 3, and the 2 boxes of 8 x 3 1/3, just aren't enough.

When you think you have everything you need, suggest that you BOTH go to the lumber store because your looking for something to make the sides look like rivets, then check out the new shop vac's because you really need that 18 gallon one, because why go small?

Why not pick up more 1 x 2's and 2 x 2's, just in case. Your already there right? Don't forget to leave without picking up "something for rivets" look so she can go back to the lumber store and get them for you. The sales person will have no idea what she is talking about when she asks.

I do have to say....John is having fun with this and I know he's a true sim nut, that is why I don't mind running for him and he tells me, that is why HE bought me a full size truck for.

Just a reminder... butter her up first..

Sam Llorca

John, you are a very lucky man, If I send my wife to the lumber store to bring me a 2x4 I better hide because I know I'm getting hit with it when she gets back, lol, Enjoy this hobby, for sure it will never end. Cheers.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate